Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to report something I haven't read anywhere else about the PTU drain plug. The plug is definitely a normal rh thread and the bit type it a Torx Plus TP50. It makes a difference mine was so tight I swore it was going to strip it and I had a proper fitting socket. If you use a t50 you will almost certainly strip it out.

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,348 Posts
Just wanted to report something I haven't read anywhere else about the PTU drain plug. The plug is definitely a normal rh thread and the bit type it a Torx Plus TP50. It makes a difference mine was so tight I swore it was going to strip it and I had a proper fitting socket. If you use a t50 you will almost certainly strip it out.
Good info. I used a standard T50 when I did mine. I thought the T50 was a little small, but when I checked with a T55, that was too big. So this makes sense. Never heard of Torx Plus TP sizes before. Thanks for the info! While mine was on a little snug as well, it broke loose no problem with my breaker bar. However, I might just pick up this TP50 since I like to have the right tools for my jobs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had to use a 2ft cheater bar and an uncomfortable amount of force to get mine to break loose. And dont feel bad about not knowing about torx plus I didn't know about it either. I just got lucky that my friend needed one for the bell housing bolts for his 4l60e transmission. He recognized it and went and grabbed his socket. I have since purchased a set.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just changed my PTU fluid yesterday, I did use a braker bar since the drain plug was on so tight. I Used a regular T50, the full plug was the hardest for me since I couldn’t get the breaker bar in that tight fit, I had to take my hard pipe off to make it a little easier, no problem through.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just changed my PTU fluid yesterday, I did use a braker bar since the drain plug was on so tight. I Used a regular T50, the full plug was the hardest for me since I couldn’t get the breaker bar in that tight fit, I had to take my hard pipe off to make it a little easier, no problem through.
We took the socket off then used a 6pt wrench that fit the hex part of the socket and a cheater pipe to get leverage. But the fill plug was much looser on my car.

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,348 Posts
Yeah, I didn't anticipate the hard pipe being in the way as much as it was. I ended up using an extension and a ball joint to reach the plug over the pipe. Was also able to use my torque wrench to torque it down properly.
We took the socket off then used a 6pt wrench that fit the hex part of the socket and a cheater pipe to get leverage. But the fill plug was much looser on my car.
The drain plug was definitely on there more snug than the fill plug was for me as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread,

How would I know when to change my PTU oil? I bought my car at 3.5K miles a few years back and have been daily'ing it, now at 24K miles.

Did some searching on the forum and some say not to worry about it, some say there's alot of heat in the PTU so changing might help, etc.

·
Registered
732 Posts

How would I know when to change my PTU oil? I bought my car at 3.5K miles a few years back and have been daily'ing it, now at 24K miles.

Did some searching on the forum and some say not to worry about it, some say there's alot of heat in the PTU so changing might help, etc.
Depends on how hard you drive it. Anywhere from 10K - 30K interval depending on who you ask/how you drive.

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts

it is definitely a fluid that should be serviced, but it is impossible for anyone to be able to tell you when you should as there are so many factors.

It really isn't that tough, it's like 4 hours to change out PTU, RDU and transmission fluid.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Impact is your friend in these type of fittings. On many others as well for that matter.
Ciao

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried an impact it was damaging the plug so I stopped and used the cheater pipe for better control.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Depends on how hard you drive it. Anywhere from 10K - 30K interval depending on who you ask/how you drive.
it is definitely a fluid that should be serviced, but it is impossible for anyone to be able to tell you when you should as there are so many factors.

It really isn't that tough, it's like 4 hours to change out PTU, RDU and transmission fluid.
Understood, sounds like I'll be changing PTU oil with my next oil change. Coming up on 25K miles here and don't drive hard, but also don't take it too easy. Will give some peace of mind of anything. Thank you guys for the response!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just read the 4 hours comment lol. If you have the right tools it's 1.5 hrs max.

A harbor freight oil suction gun makes the job cake.

The only real issue I came across was the overly tight ptu plug. Some of the plug are in tight spots but if you use a wrench on your torx socket or shorten an allen wrench its really no big deal.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Why is this job more than 15mins if the car is in the air and undertray is off? Wondering if I forgot something 😂

Come on man, gotta get pics for instagram /faecesbook while doing the job!

Reactions: floridars

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why is this job more than 15mins if the car is in the air and undertray is off? Wondering if I forgot something 😂
Ptu bolt...searching for your missing tools. And talking your time to work clean and keep trash out of the ptu...but I was more saying an hour and a half to change rdu ptu and trans fluids. I also took time to clean the suction gun between fluids. I know it probably wasn't necessary but I figured better safe than sorry.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts