Ford Focus RS Forum banner

221 - 229 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
@jjameson

I've assisted in two of these exact scenarios, both times letting penetration fluid do its job, I was able to use a stubby wrench one handed. I don't see how this is stripped so easily. I promise you most of our car is dry assembled at factory, so knowing this in advance will same you a lot of time. JUST FYI

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
@jjameson

I've assisted in two of these exact scenarios, both times letting penetration fluid do its job, I was able to use a stubby wrench one handed. I don't see how this is stripped so easily. I promise you most of our car is dry assembled at factory, so knowing this in advance will same you a lot of time. JUST FYI
Do you mind assisting a third time? :wink-new:

·
Registered
45 Posts
@jjameson

I agree and freely announce I am guilty of trying to do this in a hurry right from the get-go. I stuck a stubby in there with my right hand from under the car and a T30 bit mounted in a socket. And since I'm so smart I knew I would not have a problem like others mentioned. Wrong again and I paid the price.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Do you mind assisting a third time? :wink-new:
For the level of knowledge, Id say i'm really cheap to hire.LOL

*Gloves, long sleeves, and upper cowl removed is key. Also someone underneath in assist pull is also a bonus.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just got this installed. Not too bad after using all of the tips. Remove cowl, intake pipe, and lower hard pipe. Used pb blaster and 1/2 in drive ratchet with t30 torx bit to remove Hell screw from below. Came right out. Got both springs on. The one that most havent put on, the side one if u will, i put in place just before i shoved the blanket down through the gap and into place. As for securing the upper part of the blanket, i wish they included mount holes to use the heat shield studs. Instead i ended up cutting my factory heat shield right below the hand burn warning symbol and bolted it back in place at the upper studs with the blanket tucked in. Very secure.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Just got this installed. Not too bad after using all of the tips. Remove cowl, intake pipe, and lower hard pipe. Used pb blaster and 1/2 in drive ratchet with t30 torx bit to remove Hell screw from below. Came right out. Got both springs on. The one that most havent put on, the side one if u will, i put in place just before i shoved the blanket down through the gap and into place. As for securing the upper part of the blanket, i wish they included mount holes to use the heat shield studs. Instead i ended up cutting my factory heat shield right below the hand burn warning symbol and bolted it back in place at the upper studs with the blanket tucked in. Very secure.
I also got mine installed this weekend. The torx screw was cake once I stopped trying to remove it with the hard pipe in place. I didn't even have to use any PB, it came out with a regular 1/4" socket.

I did not install the top spring, but I really don't see a point for that existing. If it went to the right, wrapped around the turbo and attached at the top that would be better. But in the current location, it just looked like it was going to try and tug the blanket away from the back of the turbo.

I do like your idea on cutting the heat shield though. I had enough trouble getting that sucker out, I wasn't about to try and slide it back in with the blanket installed. But I also disliked how unsecure the blanket seemed.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I also got mine installed this weekend. The torx screw was cake once I stopped trying to remove it with the hard pipe in place. I didn't even have to use any PB, it came out with a regular 1/4" socket.

I did not install the top spring, but I really don't see a point for that existing. If it went to the right, wrapped around the turbo and attached at the top that would be better. But in the current location, it just looked like it was going to try and tug the blanket away from the back of the turbo.

I do like your idea on cutting the heat shield though. I had enough trouble getting that sucker out, I wasn't about to try and slide it back in with the blanket installed. But I also disliked how unsecure the blanket seemed.
any pics? 😀

221 - 229 of 229 Posts