Ford Focus RS Forum banner

201 - 220 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
I was in the process to install it this weekend but the T30 torx bolt kicked my butt.

yesterday and today, I only ended up installing my Roush intake and ran out of time to install my JBR short shifter, shifter and bracket bushings.

I read trough how people took off that damn bolt. I guess I'll try another time.
Here's a picture of that torx bolt with the downpipe out. You can see the ledge that exists if trying to access the bolt from above; reinstalling would be tricky. Much easier to remove that bolt and install the turbo blanket with the down pipe removed. 20181220_132312.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
I was taking off the torx from the bottom, I was dreading taking the wipers and the cowl from the top.

I should have install it before I did the RMM.

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
Here's a picture of that torx bolt with the downpipe out. You can see the ledge that exists if trying to access the bolt from above; reinstalling would be tricky. Much easier to remove that bolt and install the turbo blanket with the down pipe removed. View attachment 323816
Might as well upgrade the down pipe at this point. Hmm...

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
Guys (and gals), need to confirm the 2 top bolts for the heat shield needs to be torqued at 37 ft-lbs?

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
Below is the Group buy code (post #134), not sure if it still works. Good Luck!

Here's the CODE for 25% off the RS turbo blanket. It's been capped at 40 orders so the coupon will expire once 40 orders have been made, use code " focusrsforums ".

https://www.ptpturboblankets.com/collections/ford-turbo-blankets/products/ford-2-3l-mustang-focus-rs-lincoln-mkc-ecoboost-turbo-blanket

The new blanket went on MUCH easier. The took pictures and should have some available to share along with a basic guide/instructions soon. Many people won't need the as it's rather obvious how to install it, now. The intake has to come off (and engine cover), and the the splash shield under the car or the cowl under the windshield, not both. If you don't have a lift (or ramps, or jack and stands), or for some reason prefer to do it all from the top it's likely possible. We had a lift, and thought it easier to pull it through the bottom (with some long needle-nose pliers) than remove the cowling. I've heard of people who have replaced their WGA completely from the top. This seems much easier to accomplish than that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
why is removing the cowl a concern? I am thinking about doing this from the top, and have removed cowls and wipers from other model cars without much of an issue. Just wondering.

almost time to take her out of storage :)

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
So, for those that bought and installed it, what benefit and/ or gains have you noticed??
Anyone do a track day or dyno before/ after??

Just very curious...

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
why is removing the cowl a concern? I am thinking about doing this from the top, and have removed cowls and wipers from other model cars without much of an issue. Just wondering.

almost time to take her out of storage :)
Less parts to remove and reinstall if I can do it from the bottom.

It's just more of a preference.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Less parts to remove and reinstall if I can do it from the bottom.

It's just more of a preference.
Do you need to remove the full cowl and wipers, or just the bottom plate like when working on the front suspension?

Does doing it from below require removing the DP? That doesn't sound much easier if that's true.

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
Doing it from the top requires taking all the cowl/wipers..... you would then need to straddle from the top to reach the torx screw at the bottom.

I have successfully able to take out the two top turbo nuts by just taking the intake pipe out.

Doing the torx coming from the bottom of the car does not require taking out the dp.

I still need to do this with the power ratchet btw as my hand is big and not able to turn with a hand tool while holding it in place.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I attacked the job from top and bottom. It was a tough job until I finally got the blanket started at the right angle, then I was able to easily fit the blanket and install both springs.
I know there are pictures, and I used them. But even with the pictures I made multiple tries until I finally figured out how the blanket has to be started to fit. Probably because I am an analog person living in a digital world...………..

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I attacked the job from top and bottom. It was a tough job until I finally got the blanket started at the right angle, then I was able to easily fit the blanket and install both springs.
I know there are pictures, and I used them. But even with the pictures I made multiple tries until I finally figured out how the blanket has to be started to fit. Probably because I am an analog person living in a digital world...………..
I'm going for it this weekend, along with installing my shorai. Any hints on what the correct angle of attack is?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm going for it this weekend, along with installing my shorai. Any hints on what the correct angle of attack is?

I found it easiest to install from the top with the blanket going between the hot side of the turbo and the block. The bulkiest part of the blanket covers the hot-side to downpipe with minimal to no coverage on the cold side of turbo. I found it helpful to use the provided roll of wire to pull the blanket down from under the car after you have positioned it from the top. I was able to put both springs on after I had the blanket positioned properly.
Hope your experience goes easily, however mine took multiple tries. Just keep telling yourself that patience is a virtue:wink-new:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Shoot, its over haha.
I started to place an order through the PTP website and got to the point of the checkout. I let it sit overnight and the next day they sent me an email with a code for 10% off. Unfortunately I didn't keep the email and don't have the code but it was something like "focusrsforum" or close to that. Anyway, the point being that you could start an order by putting the blanket in your cart and then let it sit for 24 hours and see if you also get an email. I saved a little over $20 plus the tax on it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Torx 30.jpg

Just an FYI, the Torx 30 screw is made of Kryptonite and will render you superman mechanics weak and delirious. After stripping it and fooling with it for a total of 4 1/2 hours it will also fill you with a sense of humility and embarrassment. And for even more pleasure the Texas heat will hit the 100 degree index while you lay under the car staring at what seems to be a green glow coming off it. At 3 1/2 hours I threw in the towel, buttoned up the car and thought about it for 3 days. This morning I went out with the mindset that it was coming off today or I'm selling the damn blanket on this forum for $1 and I would pay the shipping. As you can see from the attached pic I was able use my dremel to cut a nice slice in it for a flat blade screw driver. Unfortunately it was welded in and did not budge. Today I tried to grind it down to a nub and realized that was not going to work. Maybe this will help some other superman wannabe - I took a long flat bladed screw driver and had just enough room/angle to align it against the head of this beast and off slightly to one side so that if I put pressure on it the screw would turn out counterclockwise. In other words loosen up. Then I methodically smacked it about 8 times with a short handled small sledge hammer to try and shock it loose. I didn't hit it all that hard although I wanted to hit it hard enough to create a radioactive mushroom cloud. Anyway, it broke loose and that was it. I just screwed it out using my fingers. It's that initial break that it needs to release.
The remainder of the install was easy enough and if that Torx screw would have come out when I first started this adventure, I would have completed the entire project easily in 1 1/2 hours. You special supermen that have noodle like arms and strands of steel for grip might be able to do it quicker. The pics posted in a previous post of an installed blanket are pretty clear and getting it slid into place took me two tries and then it went on like a glove. I hope this info helps someone. In the meantime I need to get more bandaids...

201 - 220 of 229 Posts