Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my roof mouldings off to wrap the roof. Big mistake. Half of the plastic clips that hold it down broke. I tried gluing them back together with plastic bonder and they immediately snapped when I tried to push them back on.

These things are 80 each and they don't sell the plastic clips by themselves.

I gotta wait a couple months before I get back and check LKQ inventories.

If you're getting a roof wrap or PPF, tell the installer don't touch the mouldings.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, was going to take mine off. Was it cold outside?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question. It was 50 outside but I had the car in a heated garage. Maybe 65F.

Probably should have poured some hot water over it.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Don’t ever try it motivate polymer injection unless it’s at least 75-80 outside. Preferably 100

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
My roof moulding was taken out a month after I got it since I have invisibra installed. It was around 85 degrees during that time

·
Registered
195 Posts
An installer of mine did my roof wrap, he owns a Focus ST, so I am sure he probably has experience with removing them. He did not run into any problems with the window roof trim breaking, but I did notice that one of the clips broke towards the end. Sucks, but I might just replace both of them in the near future.

Does anyone know if these are the correct part numbers? I see them labeled left/right, but I don't know if left = driver, or vice versa.

CP9Z5850462A - Right
CP9Z5850463A - Left

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think the car as a whole is covered in brittle plastic. I have never experienced this type of breakage unless the car was at least 10+years old.
My car has 13k on it and I've noticed that when cutting the plastic cover under the bumper for the Velossa Tech Big Mouth it was breaking as I cut it.

Another was when removing the rectangle piece (hood latch bracket) that holds the hood latch, there are 6 hard plastic clips....fortunately only one of those snapped off. I was even being gentle, however maybe working on this car should only be done when it is 75+ degrees out to ensure everything is more pliable.
Or a good heat gun is used :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
For what it's worth, I had the exact same thing happen to me when I wrapped my roof. It was maybe 60F outside. I tried to fix the clips with different plastics related epoxies but I think it's POM plastic, so tough to bond. I tried finding the clips online but no luck. I tried the dealership and you would have to buy the whole moulding. So, I went to a scrap yard, found a plain Focus and pulled a ton of extra new clips from it for $10. Maybe that could work for you?

Also similar, to you being in Hangzhou, I'm writing this from Shanghai.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts