Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my roof mouldings off to wrap the roof. Big mistake. Half of the plastic clips that hold it down broke. I tried gluing them back together with plastic bonder and they immediately snapped when I tried to push them back on.

These things are 80 each and they don't sell the plastic clips by themselves.

I gotta wait a couple months before I get back and check LKQ inventories.

If you're getting a roof wrap or PPF, tell the installer don't touch the mouldings.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, was going to take mine off. Was it cold outside?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question. It was 50 outside but I had the car in a heated garage. Maybe 65F.

Probably should have poured some hot water over it.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Don’t ever try it motivate polymer injection unless it’s at least 75-80 outside. Preferably 100

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
My roof moulding was taken out a month after I got it since I have invisibra installed. It was around 85 degrees during that time

·
Registered
205 Posts
An installer of mine did my roof wrap, he owns a Focus ST, so I am sure he probably has experience with removing them. He did not run into any problems with the window roof trim breaking, but I did notice that one of the clips broke towards the end. Sucks, but I might just replace both of them in the near future.

Does anyone know if these are the correct part numbers? I see them labeled left/right, but I don't know if left = driver, or vice versa.

CP9Z5850462A - Right
CP9Z5850463A - Left

·
Registered
276 Posts
I think the car as a whole is covered in brittle plastic. I have never experienced this type of breakage unless the car was at least 10+years old.
My car has 13k on it and I've noticed that when cutting the plastic cover under the bumper for the Velossa Tech Big Mouth it was breaking as I cut it.

Another was when removing the rectangle piece (hood latch bracket) that holds the hood latch, there are 6 hard plastic clips....fortunately only one of those snapped off. I was even being gentle, however maybe working on this car should only be done when it is 75+ degrees out to ensure everything is more pliable.
Or a good heat gun is used :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
For what it's worth, I had the exact same thing happen to me when I wrapped my roof. It was maybe 60F outside. I tried to fix the clips with different plastics related epoxies but I think it's POM plastic, so tough to bond. I tried finding the clips online but no luck. I tried the dealership and you would have to buy the whole moulding. So, I went to a scrap yard, found a plain Focus and pulled a ton of extra new clips from it for $10. Maybe that could work for you?

Also similar, to you being in Hangzhou, I'm writing this from Shanghai.

·
Registered
223 Posts
It's amazing how much difference 10 degrees makes. Maybe I should nick some clips here in Hangzhou.
I'm pretty sure the Ford dealerships in Hangzhou, and likely all Chinese ones, get their parts from Europe and everything they get is Euro spec. Might as well grab some Euro OEM parts while you're there haha

·
Registered
604 Posts
I've removed mine a couple times with no issues. Usually in a garage that's ~50 degrees. I use a plastic pry tool at each clip, leveraging from the inside edge. They've always popped right off with no issue.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do you have a picture of the bottom of the molding along with the clips? I'd like to know what they look like.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I don't. I can pull mine off and take some, but I won't be near the car for a few days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts