Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Proper 3000/6000k Foglights and/or Cover Retention Mod (prevents covers falling/vibrating off)

Bought these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAJFKNJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. As many know already our USDM RS cycles the fog lights each High Beam use making these not function as intended. Fixed.

Items Needed:
3000/6000k LED bulbs
Hardware to edit BdyModule (MX bluetooth, ELM327 w MS/HScan switch)
Laptop w/Forscan (turn off sleep/hibernation)
Updated calibration files (be prepared to download this)
Hair bands or something with similar length/size/water-resistance (https://www.amazon.com/Scunci-Effortless-Beauty-No-damage-Elastics/dp/B00J6TK75Y/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1497534116&sr=8-4&keywords=hair+bands
Pliers
Trim Tools
O-ring kit (optional, but these can be used just as well as the hairbands) if you get a multipack at HF or PA)
Battery Charger (if a dead battery is possible)
Ford Hood Insulation Retainer Clips (pepboys/walmart) https://goo.gl/Zo9ckJ https://goo.gl/f5w6Vd (matches the plastic really well and shields from water entry to protect the bands + I like the oversize look, better options are prob available so be creative)
Difficulty - (Easy)
Instructions for Cover falloff prevention.
zL9meEv.png
1. Remove FL covers with trim tool or just grab and pull off.
2. Install Fog lights bulbs (make sure the bulb housing compresses the gasket when installed)
3. Pop Screen off the bottom corner peg with pliers.
4. Loop hairbands 2 per side under the bottom screen peg nearest to the fog adjustment screw.
LC7OZUv.jpg
5. Thread Hairbands through the fog adjustment screw hole, connecting each loop to the hook of the Hood Insulation Retainer Clip, then slide up the added o-ring to lock the bands or main o-rings in place. Twist to tighten. (more twist should make it tighter up against the cover and bumper)
NmGMKvU.png
6. Carefully make sure each tab from the cover is in the correct slot, then push in firmly back in towards car until they are all firmly locked in place and all edges are flush against the paint.
TgNjLZm.png

Instructions for EU Always ON "Bambi mode on the Focus RS" and /or 3000/6000k Foglights with highbeams)
Difficulty - (Easy to Difficult depends on PC skills)
1. Make sure you have all battery/connections in proper working order. DON'T BRICK YOUR BdyM.
2. Launch Forscan, connect and head to the (main) BdyM
(Download latest calibration files if/when prompted, place into Documents/Calibration as told -- create the directory if it doesn't exist)
3. Once connected -- filter by: Fog or light or just scroll down a little bit, it's easy to find.
4. Correctly set the foglight setting ([3rd down the list], 03 is the default value just in case you want to change it back and forgot).
W50Qwds.png
5. Save out changes = The foglight switch becomes independent from dip switch. e.g. while switching to highbeams and keeping foglights (BAMBI) or using lowbeams and switching the color of the foglight bulbs while under lowbeam mode or other (non Auto) lighting effects can be achieved.
6. Other headlight lighting effects can be achieved depending on switch position (e.g. not AUTO).
8HFlnh2.png wCNcCbT.png

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Sorry for the delays and wall of text...family death.

Instructions for Cover falloff prevention.
1. Remove FL covers with trim tool.
2. Install Fog lights bulbs (make sure the bulb housing compresses the gasket when installed)
3. Pop Screen off the bottom corner peg with pliers.
4. Loop hairbands 2 per side under the bottom screen peg nearest to the fog adjustment screw.
5. Thread Hairbands through the fog adjustment screw hole, connecting each loop to the hook of the Hood Insulation Retainer Clip.
6. Carefully make sure each tab from the cover is in the correct slot then push in firmly back in towards the intercooler.
Awesome, thanks for this - I've already lost 2 covers. Stupid design.

(Technically I found the second one, but it's somewhat... run over... LOL. Bit marred.)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Stupid design is right...mine just yesterday was hanging by my thread. :cheerful: Also happy to report I haven't had to change out the bands either, all is holding up well in the weather. The fogs (brand issue, not a design issue) are slightly buggy, but generally act as intended.

·
Super Moderator
16,367 Posts
One thread has already been closed and cleaned up due to an ongoing dispute. I went and cleaned this one up so let's try and keep this one topic.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Could you show some pics on the cover fix. I've had my car for 2 months and I'm already at one cover gone and $70+ lighter for the replacement!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What do you mean by "add the o-ring"?
Its very optional and a new addition to the steps. I added it since most of us here have o-rings kits laying around (harbor freight for like 5$ on sale) and I've had it that way the whole time; I just forgot to add that step, but it's good and cheap insurance. It keeps the bands under the clip hook until you want to move them, you can see the tiny o-ring in the picture. Once the bands are in place, I pull that o-ring up, and it locks it all together; then just push the hood insulation clip back through that hole completing the look as seen in the 1st picture.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Its very optional and a new addition to the steps. I added it since most of us here have o-rings kits laying around (harbor freight for like 5$ on sale) and I've had it that way the whole time; I just forgot to add that step, but it's good and cheap insurance. It keeps the bands under the clip hook until you want to move them, you can see the tiny o-ring in the picture. Once the bands are in place, I pull that o-ring up, and it locks it all together; then just push the hood insulation clip back through that hole completing the look as seen in the 1st picture.
I guess I'm blind...where is it?
Here?

AyKtUbK.jpg

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep that's the the o-ring I used, can you see where the o-ring has room to move over the little lip, up about 3mm (yellow mark) or so to lock the retention clip, ensuring the bands stay in place; TBH its more of just insurance as the hood insulation clips really pretty tough and once they are under they don't seem to move.

Vb9O4XT.png

·
Premium Member
469 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Please forgive me if this is considered trolling, however I am clueless to the issue. Is it normal for the trim to fall off, or is this solely due to modifications?

Again, I am not trying to troll; in the words of Towely "I have no idea was goin' on"

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Please forgive me if this is considered trolling, however I am clueless to the issue. Is it normal for the trim to fall off, or is this solely due to modifications?

Again, I am not trying to troll; in the words of Towely "I have no idea was goin' on"

Thanks,
Apparently if you changed fog bulbs the trim falls off way easier than before. People were complaining about it before the thread was cleaned up

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Apparently if you changed fog bulbs the trim falls off way easier than before. People were complaining about it before the thread was cleaned up
<---- Not true of this thread, but check the others. (I have a daily backup from this site offline).

This was not what happened in my case, this fix was added a long time ago, me being the 1st with correct switching fogs on the RS, using info from the global windows thread to edit bdyCM the work was easy, but I didn't want to hijack that thread; this was something different and there wasn't a generic and proper place like now for these mods - the FORSCAN thread)).

After my left one started falling off (right side doens't have the problem and I've removed it plenty) So at least in my case it has nothing to do with the light mods. The cover seems to come loose on my car because of bumper flex/vibration at really high speeds 140+ (the only time mine like to pop up, but not longer off). I also think its a symptom of scrapping a lot. I have 2 houses, one with a flat drive and one with a slightly ****ty drive that hits the left side of the splitter if I don't angle it perfect. Checking and keeping the bottom pin healthy that connects the air-dam to the bumper also alleviates this issue, but not completely and doesn't' provide insurance against the fog cover hitting the ground...being scrapped useless, broken, or completely lost. It never has come off while I am living at my good driveway home lol...either way it does fix the issue without looking like a complete pile of ****. (looks like a radar sensor or something kinda).

P.S. Pep-boys keeps breaking my links...so just google Ford Hood Insulation clips.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts