Ford Focus RS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a S6, so wanted a mount that could also charge my phone. I don't know if it's pocket lint (removed as much as i could), but the USB port on my phone is pretty worn out and USB cables fall out of it pretty easily. Phone always comes unplugged during drives - needed wireless charging. It was a bit more expensive than a standard mount, but found this on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D23M90A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is a vent clip mount, but it's pretty sturdy and i bought it specifically because it could work on horizontal, vertical, or diagonal vents.

20160802_121828.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,291 Posts
I assume you are abbreviating credit card... in which case I think it would be highly likely for the magnets to mess with the magnetic strips. The new cards with the chips are a different story and I would assume they would be OK but don't want to be the guinea pig. The strong phone magnet holders are stating compatibility with a wide variety of SmartPhones so I don't see how a chip on a credit card can be any more vulnerable than the similar electronics inside the phones.
Keep in mind the new CCs with smart chip (SC) still have a mag stripe for use when the vendor does not have a SC reader. I can confirm the SC part of the CC would not be affected any worse than the SIM card in a phone.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I have a S6, so wanted a mount that could also charge my phone. I don't know if it's pocket lint (removed as much as i could), but the USB port on my phone is pretty worn out and USB cables fall out of it pretty easily. Phone always comes unplugged during drives - needed wireless charging.
Not that it's super related but this has been a common problem on Samsungs for years. I had 3 warranty replacements for the two Samsungs that I bought because the USB port would stop accepting a charge and on some of them the SD card reader went out at the same time. Wireless charging is a great alternative because I wouldn't expect your phone to be fixable. I have a super Asian inductive car charger from Lerway that has been broken almost since day one. The one that you linked looks miles better than mine.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have a S6, so wanted a mount that could also charge my phone. I don't know if it's pocket lint (removed as much as i could), but the USB port on my phone is pretty worn out and USB cables fall out of it pretty easily. Phone always comes unplugged during drives - needed wireless charging. It was a bit more expensive than a standard mount, but found this on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D23M90A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is a vent clip mount, but it's pretty sturdy and i bought it specifically because it could work on horizontal, vertical, or diagonal vents.

View attachment 38730
This may sound weird, but my button setup is different for the Traction Control/Drive Mode/Auto Stop-Start. The buttons are roughly equal size and stacked on top of each other, rather than the Traction Control being next to the Auto Stop/Start. WEIRD

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
This may sound weird, but my button setup is different for the Traction Control/Drive Mode/Auto Stop-Start. The buttons are roughly equal size and stacked on top of each other, rather than the Traction Control being next to the Auto Stop/Start. WEIRD
They made the buttons different between the RS1 and RS2 to avoid having a blank for the heated seats steering wheel. SOMEONE at Ford cares.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Good feedback everyone- and please know that I respect your decisions for solutions you have purchased. I too have experimented with the vent mounts - a couple of which were referred to here. My experience is that the good ones have a reasonably solid phone-to-mount magnet but the grip on the vent is always sketchy. I've NEVER had one that I really liked. Additionally, sometimes I like adjusting the vents and the flimsy mounts were a nuisance. I agree that ideally higher is better as the less you have to divert your eyes from the road the better. But there are also concerns of aesthetics and having the mount "stand out" as less as possible. Trying to look at all of the alternatives here, I still favor what we've done if I'm making a decision for my own car. We'll move forward and add the option to our website in the next several days - and RS owners will have more choices!
I'm with you on the vent mounts. If the magnet is strong enough to hold the phone, it's usually strong enough to pull the holder out of the vent. Unless you're rocking an old Motorola Razr flip or something. ;-)

I use Scosche backing plates and Koomus magnets. Great combo. Strong enough to be used on a track day if you wanted to. Hell, I think the setup I have now would hold the phone on the infamous Raptor jump. It's epic.
If you could space that off the dash a little to allow adjusting the angle of the phone, maybe with the use of a ball like the one shown below, I think you'd be onto something.

462ba6c74d6e480e08c3adec2cbb2917.jpg

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
That's one of the [many] reasons that I hate all of my dash mounts. On every single one of them, the screw that applies compression to the ball slowly backs out (or in the case of my current one, strips) and the mount starts slipping while going over bumps or flopping around during normal driving. I would pay large amounts of money for a permanent mount just so that I could get away from the ball-style universal ones.

Once the Android Auto update comes out for the RS I won't have any reason to use a dash mount in the Focus, but I'm still looking for one for the Miata as I'm finding it hard to justify the $700 that it takes to acquire an AVH-4200NEX.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Great feedback continues! Yeah, regarding the ball mounts - we also thought about those too for our front license tow plate mount. But, the more we thought about it the more we kept coming back to the concept that we are making a bracket for a specific car and rather than engineer in extra cost and potential failure points, we should just NAIL the location that people would choose and deliver that. I know that inside the RS we have both different height drivers and various phone types. My tendency, however, is just to NAIL a firm but removable bracket that is at the best offset and orientation for the 80th percentile + of drivers/phones. We've exchanged some emails with the manufacturer of what we believe is the strongest magnetic mounts on the market and I now believe that we can offer something at a reasonable price and still make a fair margin on our investment.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
how does the current prototype prohibit mounting it elsewhere?
what makes this RS/focus only currently?
is the base plate contoured to fit the center stack?
love the idea but dont have my car yet to help visualize.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
That's one of the [many] reasons that I hate all of my dash mounts. On every single one of them, the screw that applies compression to the ball slowly backs out (or in the case of my current one, strips) and the mount starts slipping while going over bumps or flopping around during normal driving. I would pay large amounts of money for a permanent mount just so that I could get away from the ball-style universal ones.

Once the Android Auto update comes out for the RS I won't have any reason to use a dash mount in the Focus, but I'm still looking for one for the Miata as I'm finding it hard to justify the $700 that it takes to acquire an AVH-4200NEX.
#Solved

LOCTITE® 425? Instant Adhesive - Henkel

·
Registered
513 Posts
how does the current prototype prohibit mounting it elsewhere?
what makes this RS/focus only currently?
is the base plate contoured to fit the center stack?
love the idea but dont have my car yet to help visualize.
1. Simply an offset angled piece of metal w/ powdercoat/texture as close as possible to surrounding plastic.
2. I guess anywhere that particular angle/offset works, you could use in another car. But angle made for specific location in RS.
3. Flat metal contacting flat section of center stack

Install time is literally, a) clean area with provided swath; b) peel back 3M tape; 3) orient and apply = Total time < 60 seconds and you have a great phone mount!

·
Registered
878 Posts
I suggest you make whatever shape holder you like out of ShapeLock.

On the back of your phone holder, you can mold a louver-pincher, cut/saw a slot in it (that holds onto the louver) with a Dremel Tool, drill a setscrew hole perpendicular to your louver-pinching slot, even tap the hole, if you wish, and the (coarse, of course) threads will hold.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Has this cooltech phone mount been scraped? I would actually like one. Also I remember talk about a jack solution. I was hoping something similar to the zl1 magnetic pinch weld adapter. I can haz product now?

·
Registered
260 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,434 Posts
Threads merged

·
Super Moderator
15,434 Posts
41 - 60 of 104 Posts