Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does anyone know if using magnets in general , will/can effect the phone, battery or charging or interference with signal ? Most mounts I have seen either use 3m or are clip mounted in the air duct.
Thank you for your help

·
Registered
846 Posts
In-car Phone Holders and Unicorns

It's too low. It should be by the left vent I think. Or the right maybe if left can't be done.

Also I'm curious about magnets as I use a cc holder case. I know they won't mess with phone but I assume they will kill the credit cards??

How much will this cost?

Isn't there a company that makes 2 piece mounts for all makes and models already? They are like $100 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,434 Posts

I'd much rather look a little further up and not down to look at a mounted cellphone. (Eyes closer to the road) My current ProClip two piece attaches to the bottom of the passenger's vent and is very stable.
(Of course this is in my FoST since Dewey is missing)

·
Registered
305 Posts
I usually use the vent clip holders for the AP and phone. They are not the absolute best, but work very well for me. The part I like the most with these, you can remove/move them with no signs or markings as many times as you want.

11709681_857839207633586_383172783638773519_n.jpg

·
Registered
422 Posts
Does anyone know if using magnets in general , will/can effect the phone, battery or charging or interference with signal ? Most mounts I have seen either use 3m or are clip mounted in the air duct.
Thank you for your help
No need to worry about battery, phone, or interference. The main things that magnets mounts will interfere with is the use of wireless charging, and if the phone has cover sensors to auto lock, like the Nexus 6. Like the ipad cover that turns the screen off with closed, those use magnets to do so. A strong magnet can make your autolock go funky, but thats less common.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I usually use the vent clip holders for the AP and phone. They are not the absolute best, but work very well for me. The part I like the most with these, you can remove/move them with no signs or markings as many times as you want.

View attachment 38481

I use a magnet mount in the same spot you do for your phone, but for my "permanent" install Note 3 for Forscan. Its a great spot for info. Now just need a spot for actual phone....

·
Registered
1,182 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts

Amazon sells this for under $7. I own two, and bought them for my entire family. It is also the most popular mount that Amazon sells. I love this thing.

Car Mount, TechMatte MagGrip Air Vent Magnetic Universal Car Mount Holder for Smartphones including iPhone 6, 6S, Galaxy S7, S6 Edge, OnePlus 3- Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OJE1SG8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_aDaOxbG2ZCMSS

·
Registered
217 Posts
The Scosche looks like a better option as you can mount it almost anywhere relatively flat.

I don't think using the air vent plastic to hold a phone is the best idea. Some of the photos in the review show scratches on the vent.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Good feedback everyone- and please know that I respect your decisions for solutions you have purchased. I too have experimented with the vent mounts - a couple of which were referred to here. My experience is that the good ones have a reasonably solid phone-to-mount magnet but the grip on the vent is always sketchy. I've NEVER had one that I really liked. Additionally, sometimes I like adjusting the vents and the flimsy mounts were a nuisance. I agree that ideally higher is better as the less you have to divert your eyes from the road the better. But there are also concerns of aesthetics and having the mount "stand out" as less as possible. Trying to look at all of the alternatives here, I still favor what we've done if I'm making a decision for my own car. We'll move forward and add the option to our website in the next several days - and RS owners will have more choices!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Interested. I'm not a fan of vent mounts especially since I have the 6+. Huge phone. Between that and the RS you'd think I'm compensating for something. Haha. :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would love something that is a dedicated holder that is not mounted in a vent or stuck to the dash. Is there no points behind the dash that could be used for mounting a bracket? I had a phone mount in my previous car that screwed in behind one of the dash sections (ac controls) and it looked oem. I got so many compliments on how it looked, but the best thing about it was that it was very secure. You could remove it to show no existence of the mount. Here is a link: Phone Mount. I would love something like this for the RS, and imagine lots of other people would like it as well if the correct mounting point can be found for aesthetics and function.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts

View attachment 38481
this is the perfect location. I hate to take my eyes off the road even for a second, especially if looking down at something.
if the mount could be located closer to the wheel i would be interested.

·
Premium Member
3,291 Posts
I use a quad lock case on my car/bike phone. Very secure and only a 1/8th turn to install/remove. I have one 3M mount kit left and been looking at how I want to use it in the RS. For now I've been moving the windshield mount I made with GoPro parts and the 3M mount kit from my Civic to the RS. Location I want is just to the left or right of and just above the horizontal centerline of the steering wheel. I want it just close enough that with the base of my palm still on the wheel I can touch the screen.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Good feedback everyone- and please know that I respect your decisions for solutions you have purchased. I too have experimented with the vent mounts - a couple of which were referred to here. My experience is that the good ones have a reasonably solid phone-to-mount magnet but the grip on the vent is always sketchy. I've NEVER had one that I really liked. Additionally, sometimes I like adjusting the vents and the flimsy mounts were a nuisance. I agree that ideally higher is better as the less you have to divert your eyes from the road the better. But there are also concerns of aesthetics and having the mount "stand out" as less as possible. Trying to look at all of the alternatives here, I still favor what we've done if I'm making a decision for my own car. We'll move forward and add the option to our website in the next several days - and RS owners will have more choices!
This is a great way to take constructive criticism. Obviously one mount won't suit everyone. For sure, a down side to using a good vent clip is that you are basically sacrificing that vent, for the most part.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Can someone comment if the magnet mounts will kill my cc in my holder?
I assume you are abbreviating credit card... in which case I think it would be highly likely for the magnets to mess with the magnetic strips. The new cards with the chips are a different story and I would assume they would be OK but don't want to be the guinea pig. The strong phone magnet holders are stating compatibility with a wide variety of SmartPhones so I don't see how a chip on a credit card can be any more vulnerable than the similar electronics inside the phones.

21 - 40 of 104 Posts