Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone besides me been told it's $5000 over MSRP ?
Apple Valley Ford, Apple Valley Minnesota.
I have money down and a build number for MSRP, from a small town dealer in southern Minnesota

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
It's not price gouging if you don't need it, especially a luxary item. If people will pay it, why wouldn't a dealer ask for it

·
Registered
716 Posts
After I went in panic mode today when my dealer essentially said they cant get one, I called around to a few Denver dealers and was told anywhere from 5k to 10k. Down right crazy.

·
Vendor
315 Posts
I have money down and a build number for MSRP, from a small town dealer in southern Minnesota
Yup, called them, and Rochester, MN ford. Both stated $5,000 above MSRP, and they have MANY available. I wonder why....

I think I found your same dealer, by calling around, said they just sold one at MSRP also.... Thursday I think we order ours there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had one brilliant dealership tell me they're putting a $20,000 markup on the RS. The guy that came up with that idea is simply a moron and should be fired. Who in their right mind would pay $60,000+ for a Focus? I've taken my ST to this dealership for various non-warranty related work, so they made some money off of me since I've moved to Alabama. I also had planned on making them my go-to dealership for future purchases. With this one greedy misstep they have eliminated a custom that would have given them way more money than what their greedy gouging will get them. I know they will not get the 20k markup from anyone else. So, goodbye Town & Country Ford, and my family and friends will also avoid you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yep here in MN as well, AVF said the same thing. What dealer did you go with? Auto nation ford is the same way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Invergrove Ford is doing MSRP, but their 3 (IIRC) allocations were spoken for basically immediately. Doing "orders" now. I was calling about once a week for a few weeks and didn't get one.
AVF also quoted me above MSRP.
Autonation Ford also "suggested" above MSRP but never told me the real number.

I'll be driving from Detroit back to the Twin Cities with my MSRP RS. Silly metro area dealers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yup, called them, and Rochester, MN ford. Both stated $5,000 above MSRP, and they have MANY available. I wonder why....

I think I found your same dealer, by calling around, said they just sold one at MSRP also.... Thursday I think we order ours there.
Rochester had 1 allocation. I had down payment reserving this one. Went in today to sign the stuff but they wouldn't even discuss going down, something about "4 others have called and interested". Lol

So I requested my down payment and left.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Rochester had 1 allocation. I had down payment reserving this one. Went in today to sign the stuff but they wouldn't even discuss going down, something about "4 others have called and interested". Lol

Did they already tell you MSRP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
315 Posts

I was one that called, but far from interested. So they are misinformed...

Rochester ford also stated "ford recently cut production from 12,000 units to 400 nation wide"
"What a joke", I said "do you realize that is 8 per state average? And YOU think you get 1 of the 8?" HAHA... ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
So much for MN nice aye?

I am out, not going to deal with this BS with the MN ford dealerships anymore. Shopping for a WRBlue 2016 STi. At least I'll have a car that I enjoy the color of. Prob just cobb stage 3 it, get a set of summer rims and use the default as my winters, add mud flaps, hella horns, and be mostly done with it.

I'll still lurk the forum in case something changes and I flop back to the RS again but the frustration is real. Good luck to you other MN RS buyers! I'll be waving when I see ya!

·
Vendor
315 Posts
So much for MN nice aye?

I am out, not going to deal with this BS with the MN ford dealerships anymore. Shopping for a WRBlue 2016 STi. At least I'll have a car that I enjoy the color of. Prob just cobb stage 3 it, get a set of summer rims and use the default as my winters, add mud flaps, hella horns, and be mostly done with it.

I'll still lurk the forum in case something changes and I flop back to the RS again but the frustration is real. Good luck to you other MN RS buyers! I'll be waving when I see ya!
Not so MN nice :)

·
Premium Member
3,323 Posts
To me there should be no price negotiation, I didn't negotiate the price of PS3 I bought at Wal-Mart, even though people were listing them on e-bay for well over $1000 at the time I still bought it from them at MSRP. Car dealers should be the same about the same: MSRP + Dest, + fair rates for docs, prep and such. If a model does sit there too long they could clearance it close to invoice, Wal-mart too has a clearance rack. If a dealer did that they could move so much more product by making the buying experience a smooth and efficient thing. As of now it is just so inefficient, talk to sales man, explain what you want, he talks to other people without you, returns with counter continues until you two reach and agreement, now you talk to someone else as you move through the process and you restart the negotiations.. just a waste. Ford and other manufactures do process improvement studies at the plants all the time to make things more efficient there, maybe its time to focus on doing the same at the last step of the vehicle's "pre-owned" life, dealers could likely run on half the sales staff they currently have if the sales process of efficient.

I need to research how Tesla was planning to sell its cars, I remember reading that in several markets they tried to open stores the local dealer groups got them run out. Maybe they had the right model.

·
Registered
76 Posts
To me there should be no price negotiation, I didn't negotiate the price of PS3 I bought at Wal-Mart, even though people were listing them on e-bay for well over $1000 at the time I still bought it from them at MSRP. Car dealers should be the same about the same: MSRP + Dest, + fair rates for docs, prep and such. If a model does sit there too long they could clearance it close to invoice, Wal-mart too has a clearance rack. If a dealer did that they could move so much more product by making the buying experience a smooth and efficient thing. As of now it is just so inefficient, talk to sales man, explain what you want, he talks to other people without you, returns with counter continues until you two reach and agreement, now you talk to someone else as you move through the process and you restart the negotiations.. just a waste. Ford and other manufactures do process improvement studies at the plants all the time to make things more efficient there, maybe its time to focus on doing the same at the last step of the vehicle's "pre-owned" life, dealers could likely run on half the sales staff they currently have if the sales process of efficient.

I need to research how Tesla was planning to sell its cars, I remember reading that in several markets they tried to open stores the local dealer groups got them run out. Maybe they had the right model.
One thing, I believe, you are missing, is that "MSRP" part .. Manufacturer's SUGGESTED Retail Price.. That means, the dealer already knows they're bottom line, lowest margin they can go. The negotiation game has always been a practice in the car buying process...I believe after so many years, kind of hard to change people's perception how "the price is right" sort of mentality. Take into consideration that dealers are now putting "internet price" "right price" "sticker price" promos, but the buyer still have the urge to go in with that same price and negotiate. That is part of the pleasure of purchasing a vehicle... yes, sometimes it can get very annoying when you have the back and forth situation with 5 different people, from sales guy to sales manager to financial manager to owner etc.

To get back to the real topic - I would never, ever .. ever play their games to pay the surplus/mark-up they ask for. I have 4 wheel and they take me to the same place that the RS 4-wheels cant for the next 5 months .. and if I can wait 5 months for it to be delivered, why can't i wait for this madness to settle? .. I guess I have to... But then again, due to the collaboration between my employer and ford USA, I am able to purchase a vehicle, no hassle, guaranteed at 1.5% below invoice.

Yes, i know that sounds silly to believe, but it is not... If you go to any major car manufacturer, you can ask for the invoice. You will see that at the bottom they have 3 tiers of pricing, 1 is MRSP, 2 is Employee, 3 Special category .

Good luck to everyone making the effort to NOT take any additional advils after dealing with those local dealers.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
This maybe the reason why I'm waiting until 2017. But even then who knows, I'm just going of the info we have that 2017 will be a built to order year, so finding a dealer to cooperate shouldn't be impossible.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts

So they can sell them under MSRP, but not over. Doesn't seem fair. If people are willing to pay it, why wouldn't they take their money. I get everyone's frustrations, but they are running a business. Contrary to everyone beliefs, most are just trying to make a decent living.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So much for MN nice aye?

Exactly. I'm not dealing with BS from a dealer. like said before, it's not the sales person, it's the Inv manager that is being a douche about it. They might be able to sell it over msrp, but not to this guy.

I already went out to my Subie dealer and looked at a Hyper Blue STi. Sure ain't my color, but I can order any color and pay 10k less. Sure does suck, I really wanted a RS. But even a rare Hyper Blue STi, they are selling 2k under MSRP. I might even consider a mk7 Golf R at this point. They are all gonna be cheaper then a RS.

Way to go Ford, had such a cool concept with the RS, until the car started going thru the dealers and pissing off potential customers.

FBAF9ECA-EA86-4E63-B59E-6CAF86D450EC.jpg

BF49640C-44EC-473E-AE95-1E2D682070B2.jpg

·
Registered
103 Posts
This maybe the reason why I'm waiting until 2017. But even then who knows, I'm just going of the info we have that 2017 will be a built to order year, so finding a dealer to cooperate shouldn't be impossible.
same. + it'll be more time for me to save up and evaluate things. will definitely be jealous when everyone has theirs delivered tho :p

1 - 20 of 50 Posts