Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2016 RS from my buddy this spring and it's going to see its 1st winter soon so I'm figuring out my game plan to keep it in the best shape I can.

This includes:
Brand new RS winter wheel package
Dorian (DMG Fab) winter skid plate
Front end clear bra
Krown undercoating
ZL1addon rock guards
Exhaust valve defeat

Is there anything else I should do? I will be removing the felt floor covers that run along both side of the exhaust for undercoating but I wonder if I should put them back for the winter or will they get damaged like the front tray?

What's your experience after a few winters?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Is there anything else I should do? I will be removing the felt floor covers that run along both side of the exhaust for undercoating but I wonder if I should put them back for the winter or will they get damaged like the front tray?
Looks like a pretty solid list. I would definitely take off those felt covers too, as @320icar would agree. Apart from that, some weather tech floor mats and trunk mat to catch all the slush, mud, etc. perhaps?

·
Registered
400 Posts
The rat fur rear aero panels held up fine through one winter for me. I fiberglass resin coated the engine undertray and it's also been fine.

I would add some trim to your wheel well edges. The rolled lip on the rear wells get chiped up and will be a source of paint flaking off and rust.

I have ppf on the front arches but on the back I added some trim I purchased from Amazon.

Dawn Enterprises FG-68025-HG-02 wheel arch moulding

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like a pretty solid list. I would definitely take off those felt covers too, as @320icar would agree. Apart from that, some weather tech floor mats and trunk mat to catch all the slush, mud, etc. perhaps?
I knew I forgot something. lol Already got the Full Huskyliner kit (front, back, trunk).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The rat fur rear aero panels held up fine through one winter for me. I fiberglass resin coated the engine undertray and it's also been fine.

I would add some trim to your wheel well edges. The rolled lip on the rear wells get chiped up and will be a source of paint flaking off and rust.

I have ppf on the front arches but on the back I added some trim I purchased from Amazon.

Dawn Enterprises FG-68025-HG-02 wheel arch moulding
Any pictures of those trims on the car? I'm curious of how it looks.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Clear bra is a great idea. I’d also add lamin-X covers to your headlights. Mine are already quite textured from winter highway driving.

Also just accept things will break. Fog lights, under trays, rock chips, windshields etc. Makes it hurt a little less

·
Registered
400 Posts
I had ppf done on the rocker panels and the entire front end including fenders, hood, headlights, foglights and the lower lip area.

@Crazyced here is the wheel well trim

It covers the fender edge very well, including where it widens near the rocker panels.

At the back edge of the trim where the bumper and fender meet is where I already had large chips that led to flaking from just one winter. I repaired the paint and then put tue trim on. My wife's old Focus se had the sale problem that led to thumb size chunks of paint coming off in the touchless car wash....

·
Registered
400 Posts
Delete again, MAJOR issues posting and editing today.:mad:

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
I'm curious about those things. Pic from @Barroux. He calls them Euro deflectors but I can't find info on them. They seem to protect the area prone to chipping.
I installed a combination of the euro deflectors and some trim gard to the arches.

I posted some details about my installation somewhere! And also pictures of the damage I had previous to having the paint repaired and adding the protection!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I installed a combination of the euro deflectors and some trim gard to the arches.

I posted some details about my installation somewhere! And also pictures of the damage I had previous to having the paint repaired and adding the protection!
Would you happend to have a link to that euro deflector? I can't find any info on it.

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Bought them from FPUK earlier this year, see the PNs in the attached picture.

There was a thread a few days ago about a new source for euro parts since FPUK does not sell to international buyers anymore. That new source should be able to provide those.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Seam sealing on the RS is rather poorly done. Especially in the front wheel wells. There are a number of large open holes that allow road water to directly enter the front frame rail, and exposed seams that have no sealant at all.

Apparently I forgot to take pictures of it, but I have since sealed up all of the holes that could allow water to just seep in, and then applied an internal cavity wax for further protection.

Attachments

·
Registered
400 Posts
Just had my yearly Krown rust protection done. All thats left is to switch out to my winter rims/tires. Just in time as we had our first Fall snow yesterday!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts