Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit UPDATE: I plan on having a verbal conversation with my salesman, not sending a letter. I'm trying to put more trust in the dealership and just hope they don't abuse the car or joy ride it when I'm not there. My #1 concern is no drilling licence plate holes in the bumper.

Okay, so I thought this may be a good time to start a checklist for preparing for delivery. I will add what I plan on discussing with my dealer before delivery, and anyone feel free to add anything that you have planned.

1. When the car comes off the truck, please do not take it to a gas station to get gas. I will be using 93 octane only and prefer to fill it up myself.
2. No one besides the truck driver or my salesman is authorized to drive the car to its parking spot at the dealership, where it will wait until all final sales papers are signed.
3. My salesman will hold onto the keys as soon as the car is off the truck and parked, and no one is to Drive the RS under any other circumstance.
4. Leave all plastic wrap on the car and body panels. I want to take it straight to a paint shop to get clear coat etc....
5. Do not drill license plate holes.
6. Do not detail or wash the car
7. I will be inside (or follow behind) the car if a Delivery Vehicle Inspection road test is needed.

Sincerely,

Chad

·
Registered
237 Posts
You do realize that your car will get driven? The dealer has to do a safety inspection and test drive before they can sell it to you. That is California law, I dont know about other states but I'm sure most are the same.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm thinking of something like this too as I'm taking my car to get wrapped ASAP. I think you can present this list and just say you will refuse delivery.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You do realize that your car will get driven? The dealer has to do a safety inspection and test drive before they can sell it to you. That is California law, I dont know about other states but I'm sure most are the same.
Did you see #7? I was still editing my list so it may not of been there yet.
7. I will be inside (or follow behind) the car if a Delivery Vehicle Inspection road test is needed.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinking of something like this too as I'm taking my car to get wrapped ASAP. I think you can present this list and just say you will refuse delivery.
refuse delivery?? then the next guy will happily buy it off them, probably with an ADM too. I don't want to mention anything about refusing delivery but I do want them to agree to these terms.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I work on the retail side of the business and I would recommend talking to your salesperson before it gets delivered to your dealer. Be reasonable but they also need to respect that you're spending thousands of dollars so yes you should get your vehicle exactly how you want it. I'd be sure to skip the pre delivery detail and gas fill up. That's when the lot attendants, porters, etc drive your car. Sure the managers and salesman will tell them to not beat on it but given the fact it will probably be the only RS they'll ever drive they will, hell we all would.... For the safety PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) I would ride along with the tech. They usually don't beat on cars but why take the risk. If they respect all your requirements throw them a bone too, I'm going to let my salesman and whoever does the service to my RS drive it once its broken in with me in the car.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Some of these steps are silly given the driving that's already been done on them. I get it, it's an expensive purchase that we are passionate about but it's still just a car. They will easily honor the do not wash and do not drill ones though.

What if your salesguy is off work the day it's delivered? :)

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I work on the retail side of the business and I would recommend talking to your salesperson before it gets delivered to your dealer. Be reasonable but they also need to respect that you're spending thousands of dollars so yes you should get your vehicle exactly how you want it. I'd be sure to skip the pre delivery detail and gas fill up. That's when the lot attendants, porters, etc drive your car. Sure the managers and salesman will tell them to not beat on it but given the fact it will probably be the only RS they'll ever drive they will, hell we all would.... For the safety PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) I would ride along with the tech. They usually don't beat on cars but why take the risk. If they respect all your requirements throw them a bone too, I'm going to let my salesman and whoever does the service to my RS drive it once its broken in with me in the car.
Well we all wouldn't. I drive other people's cars far more respectfully than I drive my own.

Last launch car I bought I drove it before gas was put in it but after the PDI which was done by a friend at the dealership. They filled it up on the test drive. I didn't even ask about it though, just happened that way.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Some of these steps are silly given the driving that's already been done on them. I get it, it's an expensive purchase that we are passionate about but it's still just a car. They will easily honor the do not wash and do not drill ones though.

What if your salesguy is off work the day it's delivered? :)
I made my deal with the owner of the dealership and he's there every time a special model is delivered. But I'm still a little worried someone will just do what they want with/to the vehicle once the boss is off to do something else. I'm hoping I will be able to track when the car will arrive at the dealership so I can be a part of the delivery process. I know it's just a car but I feel as if it would be exciting to be part of delivery.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I made my deal with the owner of the dealership and he's there every time a special model is delivered. But I'm still a little worried someone will just do what they want with/to the vehicle once the boss is off to do something else. I'm hoping I will be able to track when the car will arrive at the dealership so I can be a part of the delivery process. I know it's just a car but I feel as if it would be exciting to be part of delivery.
I'd actually be more worried about the guy who loads it to transport to get it from the plant to the port, then the guy who loads it on the ship, then the guy who unloads it, then the guy who takes it from there to the rail yard, then the guy who loads it on the train, and mostly the guy who loads it on the truck for final delivery. I've seen brand new cars dropped 6-8" and scrap their undercarriage the whole way when coming off the trucks to a dealership before.

The guy doing the PDI is, unfortunately, the last guy I'm worried about.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I'd actually be more worried about the guy who loads it to transport to get it from the plant to the port, then the guy who loads it on the ship, then the guy who unloads it, then the guy who takes it from there to the rail yard, then the guy who loads it on the train, and mostly the guy who loads it on the truck for final delivery. I've seen brand new cars dropped 6-8" and scrap their undercarriage the whole way when coming off the trucks to a dealership before.

The guy doing the PDI is, unfortunately, the last guy I'm worried about.
Yeah, all that bs might be true but I definitely have 0% control on all of those things. But with the dealer I have a small amount of control. Well at least I can state my concern and hope the dealer follows it. Lol.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yeah, all that bs might be true but I definitely have 0% control on all of those things. But with the dealer I have a small amount of control. Well at least I can state my concern and hope the dealer follows it. Lol.
This^^^

I suppose they don't need to sign anything, a verbal agreement or phone call just doesn't seem as serious to me. I'm debating whether or not to call or write with my concerns. I worked at a dealership many years ago and I've seen the way some employees can treat cars badly.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
This^^^

I suppose they don't need to sign anything, a verbal agreement or phone call just doesn't seem as serious to me. I'm debating whether or not to call or write with my concerns. I worked at a dealership many years ago and I've seen the way some employees can treat cars badly.
I feel bad for anyone who doesn't have a solid relationship with their salesman. my guy has been at the same desk for the past 14 years slinging fords (mostly trucks it seems) and told me he is not a car enthusiast. I feel lucky in this respect.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I understand where you are all coming from, but I also can't help thinking its leaning a fraction toward being OCD. Yes, it is an expensive purchase, yes it's got a bit of holy grail about it, however, let's also put it in perspective there will always be more expensive and what others may perceive as desirable cars out there and perhaps they don't get the same obsessive, er, focus. The car has had a journey before it reaches the dealership and these will be a special car to dealers as well, so it might just be worth putting a litte more faith in the process. Besides, the wear and tear on the road and trophy stone chips will come and unless you're going to take it home and put it in your lounge room, then going down this path to me seems a tad overkill........

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I understand where you are all coming from, but I also can't help thinking its leaning a fraction toward being OCD. Yes, it is an expensive purchase, yes it's got a bit of holy grail about it, however, let's also put it in perspective there will always be more expensive and what others may perceive as desirable cars out there and perhaps they don't get the same obsessive, er, focus. The car has had a journey before it reaches the dealership and these will be a special car to dealers as well, so it might just be worth putting a litte more faith in the process. Besides, the wear and tear on the road and trophy stone chips will come and unless you're going to take it home and put it in your lounge room, then going down this path to me seems a tad overkill........
I trust my salesman, but not the lot porters. I've seen the way some of them drive cars, I was one of those kids many many years ago. I drove the cars with respect, but not everyone did. It's not OCD, it's me not wanting the tires roasted because DRIFT MODE and I'd hate to see this: Updated: 2016 Corvette ZO6 C7.R Gets Wrecked in Texas, Looks like Shredder Pain

Dealership employee's have crashed cars before, and I don't want to be put at the end of the line to wait for another RS lol.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've seen brand new cars dropped 6-8" and scrap their undercarriage the whole way when coming off the trucks to a dealership before.
My uncle told me a story that he ordered a car from Germany when he was a teenager, and his car was literally dropped off the boat into the ocean. LOL

·
Registered
421 Posts
We are buying the first car ever manufactured that has DRIFT mode we all know " THE AWFUL TRUTH" every person who has the chance to drive it is going to beat **** out of it. That's the facts jack

1 - 20 of 46 Posts