Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting an RS and will use it all year - including weekend trips up to the mountains for skiing. WOndering what the preferred winter wheel/tire setup is? Do you guys go with a skinner winter tire or stick with the same size as summers?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Factory winters are 225/40R18, being on 18s allow for a thicker sidewall and the idea is skinnier tires can prevent floating on snow.

Braid makes the only pair of 17” that will clear the front brakes, they’re not exactly cheap but you may save a little money on tires vs 18” and get more sidewall for protection. 225/50R17 is slightly larger than stock summers, ~$20 cheaper per tire than 18” and significantly more sidewall.

Whatever setup you go with make sure to upgrade the rat fur undertray to aluminum

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I’ve always run the factory size 225/40r18. Honestly any winter tire is way better than an all season, so just get whatever your budget allows. If you’re a country boy or in the mountains, consider studs but not a total dealbreaker.

I’ve had a few different wheel/tire setups for the winter. Was the oem alpin pa4 on OZ wheels, they are great for dry/wet and cold pavement, but are definitely not the best snow tire out there.

now I run a dirt cheap import tire “Sailun ice blazer” or something on some xxr 527’s. Even with a lowered track car it treats winter like it’s not even there.

Car Wheel Tire Sky Land vehicle

Car Snow Vehicle Ice racing Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Snow

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
Like others have said the alpins did great on dry/cold pavement and snow, not so much on icy roads. Ran them in stock sizing for the first winters until they wore out. Was even out on the track for a practice day in early April and they did surprisingly good to give you an ideaof their overall handling performance!

I run 225/45/18 since then, slightly higher sidewall than original winters provides a bit more ground clearance and I dont mind the 5% off speedo. Been running Nokian Hakkas in this sizing but they are softer and definitely impact the handling. Until this year where I sold a set I used to run non-studded for daily driving and studded for ice driving event. If you dont need studded definitely avoid them for daily driving, as said above they compromise traction on clear roads a lot!! Used them full time this season and lost 50% of the studs at the back too between pavement and ice driving events!!

Also great recommendation on fixing the undertray, get it sprayed in linex or other undercoating if it’s still salvageable or get an aluminum one! If you dont fancy the look of it get the DMGFab one from Raptor Racing I believe it’s one of the cheapest options and works fine for what you need it for!

The RS has plowed through anything I dared to drive through so far…and has been more fun to drive in the winter than anything else for me…leaves a satisfying leveled trace of snow at 4.25in off the ground behind you 🤣

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

Tire Wheel Ice racing Vehicle Sky

Sky Snow Hood Automotive tire Vehicle

Ecoregion Wood Road surface Asphalt Tree

Car Snow Vehicle Window Motor vehicle

Snow Car Window Vehicle Hood

Tire Sky Wheel Car Snow

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I personally swear by Alpins. This year went with Alpin 5 as the latest model available in the US. I believe Euros have Alpin 6 too. Either way, these do extremely well on dry, wet, slushy, and snow. I live in NY and our winters are **** with random long snowfalls that rapidly turn into dirty slush and ice-melt. As a result I prioritize dry, wet, slush, and some snow, but not really ice. For the record, they'll handle ice, but you do need to be mindful that these are not studded.

Alpins are not as good on ice or hard-packed snow as a studless or, better yet, studded winter would be though! So it really depends on what your winters look like. Do you get a lot of slush, and only minimal ice? I'd go Alpin. Do you live somewhere with a lot of deeper snow, but not necessarily a lot of ice? Go studless. Do you live somewhere with long-standing ice and hard-pack snow like Northern Canada? Get studded.

100% on reinforcing the undertray, or getting an aluminum one (I have ADFCustoms), especially if you get a lot of slush. The tray happily scoops up the slush, which then hardens overnight, and the whole thing just sags to the ground. It's impossible to clean it out too, because the slush is now a rock. Then Ford tells you it's "user error."

Reactions: Barroux

·
Registered
656 Posts
Good advice above! I

f it were me; I'd get on the tirerack.com (or similar site) and use their tire shopping menu to research snow tires. While Michelins, Pirellis and the like are great tires, its often times possible to get equal or near equal performance out of a lower priced snow tire, and they have very nicley priced wheel/tire packages at times too. I've used General Altimax Arctics and Bridgestone Blizzaks for many years and both had significant price advantages at the time of purchase and mushed through any snow I encountered with NPs.

Good luck with whatever you run with!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Good advice above! I

f it were me; I'd get on the tirerack.com (or similar site) and use their tire shopping menu to research snow tires. While Michelins, Pirellis and the like are great tires, its often times possible to get equal or near equal performance out of a lower priced snow tire, and they have very nicley priced wheel/tire packages at times too. I've used General Altimax Arctics and Bridgestone Blizzaks for many years and both had significant price advantages at the time of purchase and mushed through any snow I encountered with NPs.

Good luck with whatever you run with!
Oh yeah, I've used Blizzaks too - they are a great tire. Sadly, the price is almost Michelin level now! Still, I can definitely recommend it.

Reactions: Wiley Marmot

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I ran Blizzaks for a number of years on our Audi's. They are pretty amazing in the snow but like driving on marbles when it is dry weather. The Alpin's are very good in all conditions I have found. Likely will go with those and maybe on a set of Oz or Sparco wheels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts