Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
First I'm hearing of these. What's the benefit?

·
Registered
83 Posts
They are just bushing inserts, they have been around for a while and you don't have to press out your stock bushings to install these.

Reactions: axelr

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you don't have to press out the stock bushings how do you put the inserts in? Do they expect you to burn out your stock bushings and then put the inserts into the stock outer bushing housing? That is what energy wants you to do for the Jeep inserts they make. I just don't see how you can put a new bushing in without removing the old one, at bare minimum the rubber and center should need to be removed.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I have them (2 fronts, 1 rear) but haven't put them in yet. They are stiffer inserts that fill voids in the stock bushings - you leave the stock bushings in place. When I was under there for the exhaust, I scoped out the 2 front bushings - it appears that you might have to lower out the RDU to install them but I haven't confirmed. I didn't scope out the rear one yet.

I can take a picture later and post.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
So, yeah, you'll have to drop the rear end to press in the diff mount inserts. This would almost certainly need to be done on a lift so you could support the diff and crossmember.

Back side of aft diff bushing

Back side of aft diff bushing covered

Front side of aft diff bushing

Back side of fore diff bushing

Front side of fore diff bushing

Attachments

·
Registered
510 Posts
Fyi I had the race inserts, all 3, for about 10k miles. Snapped the big front bolt today.. maybe I'm unlucky. Suspiciously mountune stopped selling the race bushing, only the street variant.

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
Fyi I had the race inserts, all 3, for about 10k miles. Snapped the big front bolt today.. maybe I'm unlucky. Suspiciously mountune stopped selling the race bushing, only the street variant.

I think they just ran out, I been keeping an eye on it for the past week.

They still have the race Race Rear Diff Rear Front Mounting Bushing Insert.

How did you manage to brake the bolt?

·
Registered
510 Posts
I think they just ran out, I been keeping an eye on it for the past week.

They still have the race Race Rear Diff Rear Front Mounting Bushing Insert.

How did you manage to brake the bolt?
Spirited driving and launches I guess. Pretty pissed. I hope ford will fix it under warranty as I am not excited to drop the subframe out to access and extract the broken bolt out of the threaded RDU.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have the three RDU inserts kits waiting to be installed for a while. From the above it is unclear if you have to remove the subframe or not?

Powerflex also released three bushings for the rear lower suspension arms btw. The front-most one is big and very soft stock, so I’ll start there. The inner and outet bushings on the arm itself are pretty stiff stock and probably don’t need much attention. I’ll do maybe the inner one.

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
I have the three RDU inserts kits waiting to be installed for a while. From the above it is unclear if you have to remove the subframe or not?

Powerflex also released three bushings for the rear lower suspension arms btw. The front-most one is big and very soft stock, so I’ll start there. The inner and outet bushings on the arm itself are pretty stiff stock and probably don’t need much attention. I’ll do maybe the inner one.
To easily access the front rdu mount yes, but not impossible to access without dropping the sub-frame:

Hank's RS - RDU Bushing Inserts

Reactions: axelr and Hank

·
Registered
510 Posts
You do not need to drop the subframe. I do because the bolt sheared off and there is no way to access the hole with a drill extractor bit

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
You do not need to drop the subframe. I do because the bolt sheared off and there is no way to access the hole with a drill extractor bit

Would you recommend installing the bushing still though?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Well that has to suck ^

Reactions: tedsRS and nicklulu

·
Registered
510 Posts
Would you recommend installing the bushing still though?
Idk I regret doing anything to the car. I should have just left it completely stock and not wonder what will happen with warranties. I honestly can't answer your question anyways as I installed basically all my mods in 1 weekend.

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
Idk I regret doing anything to the car. I should have just left it completely stock and not wonder what will happen with warranties. I honestly can't answer your question anyways as I installed basically all my mods in 1 weekend.
I was actually asking feed back on the bushings.

I hope this incident should not discourage you it's a pretty easy fix.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I'd love to see pictures of the broken bolt to determine the failure mechanism (both halves of course).

Reactions: tedsRS
1 - 20 of 40 Posts