Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, Hello all.

I have a 17st with just under 17k and have been silently searching and planning the upgrade to an RS (17 or newer). The pay off will be 19k unless I pay it down a bit. The northern California market seems to be a little stale for the ST, but I have a buyer lined up so I not in the must trade in group to upgrade. I have a few goodies ... and upgraded sound system.

The USED RS market here is crazy ... (NEW 41K OTD) The best deal so far is a 2017 RS with a list price of 33K in San Jose Ca with 13K. Really not a great deal considering with fees it will only be a few thousand cheaper than a new unit. The thing is, this RS is the direct step up from my ST, same color, package ..sunroof, heated seats, etc .... VIN WF0DP3TH0H4126022

This move is all WANT, no real justification to add more debt to my life. Mid life I guess ... cheap horsepower and a blast to drive.

I was really hoping (SORRY) for a big price drop with the HG recall but it seems these cars are holding value well due to the available numbers and ford screwing the US market.

To pull the trigger or torture myself for another year.

* Does anyone have a line on a BUY back unit they are willing to share?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
If this is all want, I’d wait and be patient for the right RS to come up at the right price. Either way you’d still be paying off your ST faster than it’s depreciating I’m sure so waiting a bit longer will just put you further into positive equity. The price jump between an st/rs is huge, so I wouldn’t rush it.

Just from a past ST owner myself, I’m happy I upgraded, but I took 3 test drives over the course of a year and a half to actually decide. With the wisdom and experience I have now I could strongly say if I never did trade in for the RS, I still would have been perfectly happy with my ST.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Possible trade up from st ----> RS mental masturbation

Look out of state? Unless prices have gone up, shiuld be able to get a better deal. I bought my leftover 2017 RS1 new for 34k 8 month ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
The thing to consider here is positive equity. Do you have it? If you do, you are in a position to consider upgrading to an RS.

If you are break-even, even worse negative equity forget it. You are making a poor financial decision if that is the case.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
I would say most of us got the RS for the "want" not the "need".

If you have the $$$ and can afford to do so, it's your call.

If you ask most of the RS owners if it's worth it, most of us would say Yes!

EDIT.......

Is the price of the RS going to dip down, dunno.

But if I based it from having my Evo X that was discontinued:

2010 Evo X MR
32,000 miles
got it in 2011 BN for $34,000 (before taxes and licensing)

Dec 2016 rear-ended with 32k miles.... I got $32,000 out of it.

I would assume that the RS won't be too far behind.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I second looking out of state. If I had the patience, I could've gotten one real cheap but it was in TX. Then all of a sudden, a dealer close to me had a brand new one with mods for $36K. It was a no brainer decision.

I also came from a ST.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you buy out of state be prepared to pay taxes on the purchase once you register the car in CA. FYI I traded in my 2013 Focus ST3 with 82K miles in August 2018. Got 12K trade in and bought a used 2016 RS2 with 10K miles for $32K out the door. Also, I am in the Bay Area, CA.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I’m in SoCal & they’re getting 38k for ‘17 RS’s & having no problem selling them. I refuse to overpay however unless I can somehow buy one at a reduced price in AZ or NV, the California market is ridiculous. There’s a Ford Dealer right now in San Diego that is advertising a ‘16 w/ 27k miles for 37k. It’s an absolute joke.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I’m in SoCal & they’re getting 38k for ‘17 RS’s & having no problem selling them. I refuse to overpay however unless I can somehow buy one at a reduced price in AZ or NV, the California market is ridiculous. There’s a Ford Dealer right now in San Diego that is advertising a ‘16 w/ 27k miles for 37k. It’s an absolute joke.

As an owner of a 2017 I completely appreciate the market holding and even going up . There are a lot of us who have had our share of drama and such associated with this car. Not only that some even paid over msrp. Either way it’s rare and you can’t expect to find rare cheap nor readily available. Sorry for your luck def not hear to start more drama lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I traded my '16 ST3 for a' 17 RS2 about 3 weeks ago. Same color and options, so it was a direct upgrade for me as well. Similar to others, I found it out of state.

I don't regret it and am enjoying it, but I was happy with the ST well. Whether it's worth it to you or not is definitely a personal decision. I intend to get into autocross with the RS. If it weren't for that, I think the ST makes for a more reasonable, fun daily driver.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I traded my '16 ST3 for a' 17 RS2 about 3 weeks ago. Same color and options, so it was a direct upgrade for me as well. Similar to others, I found it out of state.

I don't regret it and am enjoying it, but I was happy with the ST well. Whether it's worth it to you or not is definitely a personal decision. I intend to get into autocross with the RS. If it weren't for that, I think the ST makes for a more reasonable, fun daily driver.

May I ask what your impressions are now with having the RS for a few weeks? Is it that much better than the ST? I’m seeing a 12–15k price difference on the used market. I do think the RS looks better however the ST is a great looking Hatch & drives smoother with better MPGs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
May I ask what your impressions are now with having the RS for a few weeks? Is it that much better than the ST? I’m seeing a 12–15k price difference on the used market. I do think the RS looks better however the ST is a great looking Hatch & drives smoother with better MPGs.

Like I said, I think it just depends on what your intentions are and what you want from it. The ST is more practical as simply a fun daily driver. Ride quality and noise are easier to live with on a daily basis.

The RS has a ton more grip (I've never broken traction yet, even on wet pavement), and handles like it's on rails comparatively. However if you don't intend to do any type of performance driving or take it to nice curvy roads where it's most in its element, it probably doesn't justify the extra cost, maintenance, and MPG, etc.

Oddly to me, the RS in a way doesn't "feel" much faster because of the AWD and putting the power down more efficiently, if that makes any sense. The ST is more violent with torque steer and wheel spin if you don't manage it well which is just a different driving experience. That said, I had a Stage 1 93 octane turn from FSWerks, so my ST was probably putting down about the same wheel torque as a stock RS (~315-330).

If you already have or intend to get a 2nd vehicle/daily driver, then I'd say RS no question, but if the entire goal is just a fun daily driver, the ST makes a lot of sense.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts