Ford Focus RS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I just installed the filter and the airbox cover tonight before I drive to Las Vegas, along with the pre-filter (water-repellent) :

I can definitely hear the air intake sucking air.

I can't wait to install the rest of it next weekend.

·
Registered
92 Posts
That's a steal! Mind if you can PM me which website you got that price. Also, did they give you a CARB sticker for the intake? Last intake I got a nice sticker with the CARB EO# on it.

·
Premium Member
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
That's a steal! Mind if you can PM me which website you got that price. Also, did they give you a CARB sticker for the intake? Last intake I got a nice sticker with the CARB EO# on it.
YGPMed.

I reached out to Roush to get the CARB EO# sticker and I had no issues getting it in 3 days time.

:encouragement:

·
Registered
264 Posts
CARB Executive Orders

I'm not sure about other brands, but I know I've posted the Carb approvals for the Mountune intake. Since then, the intercooler and piping also was issued an EO in December '18, so I thought I'd post them all here. Feel free to add other brands to make one easily searchable list. I keep the EO's and warranty information in my glovebox in case any issues arise...

Mountune filter, Intake, recirc valve, and M380 flash EO D-727-3
http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-727-3.pdf

Mountune Intercooler, boost hoses, and Piping EO D-727-4
http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-727-4.pdf

·
Premium Member
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Thanks for posting this! I suppose Mountune it is for their IC as they bothered to get it CARB certified.

Funny how the Ford Performance tunes for the Focus and Fiesta are on the Mountune CARB certification. That and the M380 tune isn't warranty friendly, compared to the Ford one which is on there.

That and it's nice that CARB put the peak dyno gains on their cert for us, 28.7 hp.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I try to do list before:

https://www.focusrs.org/forum/16-fo...unfortunate-c-r-b-list-intake-legal-cali.html

Might be worth merging @Hoonigan.

The CARB EO for Mountune are only valid as long as all the parts are installed.

I never really considered the CARB EO for the FMIC/hoses/piping as I thought that they are not govern by CARB restrictions.

Good info.
Ah, true, I think you were looking at intakes only though. Was trying to get everything that got CARB approval, as more states start adopting it. Merge if needed.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Thanks for posting this! I suppose Mountune it is for their IC as they bothered to get it CARB certified.

Funny how the Ford Performance tunes for the Focus and Fiesta are on the Mountune CARB certification. That and the M380 tune isn't warranty friendly, compared to the Ford one which is on there.

That and it's nice that CARB put the peak dyno gains on their cert for us, 28.7 hp.
An IC does not require any CARB approval. It's explicitly excluded in their list of items that effect smog and doesn't require an EO.

Reactions: Christian

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
An IC does not require any CARB approval. It's explicitly excluded in their list of items that effect smog and doesn't require an EO.
I agree in principle but why does CARB issue EO numbers to intercoolers (not just this one)?

Intercoolers are listed an emissions-related part. Not to be confrontational, but what reference are you using?
https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/mailouts/msc9819/plist3.pdf

I've failed SMOG before, categorized as a gross polluter. Not hard with a late 70s V8 missing everything from EGR to PCV. After that I had a crash course on SMOG and vacuum devices. I'll pay a little extra for that little number to not be hassled by the SMOG guys in CA or any state that uses CA rules.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I agree in principle but why does CARB issue EO numbers to intercoolers (not just this one)?

Intercoolers are listed an emissions-related part. Not to be confrontational, but what reference are you using?
https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/mailouts/msc9819/plist3.pdf

I've failed SMOG before, categorized as a gross polluter. Not hard with a late 70s V8 missing everything from EGR to PCV. After that I had a crash course on SMOG and vacuum devices. I'll pay a little extra for that little number to not be hassled by the SMOG guys in CA or any state that uses CA rules.
Also had a gross poluter with my first accord due to the EGR being completely caked. Car was stock and passed fine once i fixed it.

Here's the list from carb. No idea why anyone would waste money on getting an EO for an IC:
https://bar.ca.gov/pdf/APPENDIX G final 12-2009.pdf

Your link calls it an air intake part, not emissions. Same as my link.

Reactions: phillofoc

·
Premium Member
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So IC will require a CARB EO for diesel but not for gasoline cars.

Good to know!

A lot of good info. Thanks!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Also had a gross poluter with my first accord due to the EGR being completely caked. Car was stock and passed fine once i fixed it.

Here's the list from carb. No idea why anyone would waste money on getting an EO for an IC:
https://bar.ca.gov/pdf/APPENDIX G final 12-2009.pdf

Your link calls it an air intake part, not emissions. Same as my link.

Maybe these are out of date? When you look at the ARB site under what's new, there is a working group for Intercooler kits that has updated recently.

What's New:
Work Group (1/22/19): Aftermarket Parts Procedures Work Group - Intercooler Kits or Modifications to the Stock Intercooler System.
Webinar Information: Aftermarket Parts Procedures Work Group - Intercooler Kits or Modifications to the Stock Intercooler System.
Work Group Agenda: Aftermarket Parts Procedures Work Group - Intercooler Kits or Modifications to the Stock Intercooler System 1/22/2019

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Maybe these are out of date? When you look at the ARB site under what's new, there is a working group for Intercooler kits that has updated recently.

What's New:
Work Group (1/22/19): Aftermarket Parts Procedures Work Group - Intercooler Kits or Modifications to the Stock Intercooler System.
Webinar Information: Aftermarket Parts Procedures Work Group - Intercooler Kits or Modifications to the Stock Intercooler System.
Work Group Agenda: Aftermarket Parts Procedures Work Group - Intercooler Kits or Modifications to the Stock Intercooler System 1/22/2019
I hope they came up with a reasonable solution (how would an IC affect emissions). Thanks for the find, I didn't see that before.

·
Premium Member
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
They keep on changing it.
@ilDiavel, Thank you for the post... keeping us up to date :encouragement:

·
Premium Member
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I finally installed my Roush Intake and black silicone elbow to replace the OE accordion type this weekend (given I wanted to install more of my parts, but a torx bolt eaten most of my time):

I decided to install one of the inlay the intake came with:

It's not the exact same size of the emboss "Roush" on the pipe, but its not too bad and barely noticeable.

It's NB blue at least.

I took it for a spin after the install, Pretty happy with it!

Spools faster and the SSC form Cobb is doing it's job. I put it in Sport mode and I definitely feel the difference! The gas consumption is noticeable too! I'm sure I will get a better MPG if i take it easy.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
If anyone's interested, I emailed CARB and asked what the deal was with intercoolers having EOs while being on the list for not needing one. The response was:

Any device that may change engine operating conditions and thus, could affect vehicle emissions performance would require an exemption EO. This includes intercoolers for gasoline fueled engines that are not determined to by the device manufacturer to “Replacement Parts.” A Replacement Part is defined under 13 CCR 1900(b)(20) as follows:

§ 1900(b)
(20) "Replacement part" means any aftermarket part intended to replace an original equipment emissions-related part and which is functionally identical to the original equipment part in all respects which in any way affect emissions (including durability), or a consolidated part.

Attached is one example an existing EO issued for intercoolers for a number of what I believe are gasoline fueled vehicles.

The attached EO was for Mishimoto, EO# D-759. Not sure if that helps, but it may provide insight into the workings of CARB.

Reactions: nicklulu

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
If anyone's interested, I emailed CARB and asked what the deal was with intercoolers having EOs while being on the list for not needing one. The response was:

Any device that may change engine operating conditions and thus, could affect vehicle emissions performance would require an exemption EO. This includes intercoolers for gasoline fueled engines that are not determined to by the device manufacturer to “Replacement Parts.” A Replacement Part is defined under 13 CCR 1900(b)(20) as follows:

§ 1900(b)
(20) "Replacement part" means any aftermarket part intended to replace an original equipment emissions-related part and which is functionally identical to the original equipment part in all respects which in any way affect emissions (including durability), or a consolidated part.

Attached is one example an existing EO issued for intercoolers for a number of what I believe are gasoline fueled vehicles.

The attached EO was for Mishimoto, EO# D-759. Not sure if that helps, but it may provide insight into the workings of CARB.
That sounds like a standard auto reply without researching your specific question. Unless something has changed recently (ie last year or 2), an Intercooler is explicitly listed as an item that does not effect emissions, so they do not need a CARB number.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
That sounds like a standard auto reply without researching your specific question. Unless something has changed recently (ie last year or 2), an Intercooler is explicitly listed as an item that does not effect emissions, so they do not need a CARB number.
Yup, it seems that they can walk their way into or out of giving you trouble for an intercooler. Bureaucracy for the win!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yup, it seems that they can walk their way into or out of giving you trouble for an intercooler. Bureaucracy for the win!
It's California, conversely to how the rest of the USA runs, it's illegal unless there is a law explicitly stating it's legal. IF two laws seem to conflict, whichever one makes CA more money, wins.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts