Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For some of us who is unfortunate enough to live in California, we need to comply with the California Air Resource Board (better known as C.A.R.B.).

So far I only found 3 intake that are C.A.R.B. Legal:

Mishimoto Performance Air Intake

Auto part Air intake part Automotive super charger part Wheel Tool accessory
Performance Air Intake, fits Ford Focus RS 2016–2018

This is an aluminum intake.

Roush Cold Air Intake Kit

Air intake part Auto part Automotive super charger part Automotive engine part Pipe
2016-2018 Focus RS, 2013-2018 Focus ST Cold Air Intake Kit

This one is "OEM" look.

This one is not really just an intake but a "kit". It would be very remiss of me if i don't mention it since it does get issued a C.A.R.B. sticker for the intake:

Mountune Focus RS M380 Performance Upgrade

Air intake part Auto part Automotive tire Automotive super charger part

https://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune-Focus-RS-M380-Performance-Upgrade-p/2536-m380-blk.htm

COBB TUNING Ford RedlineCarbon Fiber Intake System for the Focus RS:

Bicycle part Font Office supplies Auto part Tool

If you use or know any other C.A.R.B. legal intake please share.

Reactions: braap

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for posting this! Might be better to move for the non CARB parts....
Not a problem.

The non C.A.R.B. intake is fine. But if you get stop by the cop and asked to pop the hood.....

I just want to have a list for the members that might be interested since if someone would not mind getting a non C.A.R.B. compliant one, they can get any intake.

But if you want to avoid the hassle, might as well that you have a list to chose from.

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone running a C.A.R.B. legal intake not listed above?

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is definitely people reading this thread.

Anyone else running a different C.A.R.B. legal intake not listed above?

Its kind of a drag, but just want to check the options we have out there.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Its what? 5 years before you have to pass inspect/smog for a new car?
A lot here will prolly be outta the car before this comes up....

In my experience any intake change CARB approved or not just throws the guys for a loop, they don't want to pass a CARB approved, they don't want to make a call if it's legal or not, you can show them the stickers and paperwork but it's still a headache. That might even punt you for a filter change....

And if the popo wanna do that, it's usually a fix it ticket....go back show the OE intake and it goes away...

I certainly wouldn't have an AP hanging in sight either...

so if your in Cali keep all your OEM and learn how to swap back and forth...then options are wide open....

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

In my experience any intake change CARB approved or not just throws the guys for a loop, they don't want to pass a CARB approved, they don't want to make a call if it's legal or not, you can show them the stickers and paperwork but it's still a headache. That might even punt you for a filter change....

And if the popo wanna do that, it's usually a fix it ticket....go back show the OE intake and it goes away...

so if your in Cali keep all your OEM and learn how to swap back and forth...then options are wide open....
I understand that.

I have done those before.

I just want to have a list for current and future members to use as a reference.

I have gone to state refs in the past and having a CARB approved (with the sticker of course), they will sign off on the ticket.

Cops wont have a clue when they look under the hood.

I intend to keep my RS past 5 yrs and having a good foundation might save some other members some time.

Reactions: Crystals

·
Registered
536 Posts
Just ignore the CAI. It's generally just an appearance mod with these cars.

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just ignore the CAI. It's generally just an appearance mod with these cars.
You forget about the whoosh and whistle sound you get after the mod. :encouragement:

But as I said, it's juts more to build a reference for members that might want to know.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Just sayin, you didn't seem to mention...just cause its CARB approved you might still have to go the refs....and they are likely to check everything else out.....good luck...

that's lot of hassle and be limited in your choice

so you can make an appointment at a ref......days, weeks, or swap back....less than an hour...and choose any brand...?

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I get where you are coming from and I appreciate it.

I just want to gather a list of the C.A.R.B. legal ones since pretty much every other brand won't be.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
I get it, but you might not get a lot of feedback

not all of us in Cali care enough if it's CARB or not...

For the nannies, I don't condone violating any state or federal laws.....

·
Registered
931 Posts
I get it, but you might not get a lot of feedback

not all of us in Cali care enough if it's CARB or not...

For the nannies, I don't condone violating any state or federal laws.....
When CARB starts measuring exhausted gas from the local burrito joint customers or fuel stop deisel douchebags who spill fuel all over after realizing the deisel pumps don’t have auto shut offs. Then I to will use legal means of sucking air for my engine . Until then carry on with what u like .Lol.

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When CARB starts measuring exhausted gas from the local burrito joint customers or fuel stop deisel douchebags who spill fuel all over after realizing the deisel pumps don’t have auto shut offs. Then I to will use legal means of sucking air for my engine . Until then carry on with what u like .Lol.
ROFL

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
I tried going through the list of EOs in the CARB website, but the only one listed is the Mishimoto one. If you look up the EO for Roush, it has a link to a PDF that says the RS is CARB legal. It's about the most poorly implemented lookup I've ever seen. :sorrow:

Good luck in your search, but I have a feeling you're going to have a really hard time finding more. Even the K&N intake says it might not be CARB legal depending on which car it's on. CARB is a joke.

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I tried going through the list of EOs in the CARB website, but the only one listed is the Mishimoto one. If you look up the EO for Roush, it has a link to a PDF that says the RS is CARB legal. It's about the most poorly implemented lookup I've ever seen. :sorrow:

Good luck in your search, but I have a feeling you're going to have a really hard time finding more. Even the K&N intake says it might not be CARB legal depending on which car it's on. CARB is a joke.
I did tackle the C.A.R.B. site, they are useless.

Thank you for checking it out, another set of eyes just confirmed it.

·
Registered
146 Posts

It's actually SIX years, for smog compliance. And, I believe there's new legislation to advance 2017 and later vehicles to EIGHT years. Don't quote me on this, but I believe it's a fact.

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
2012 and newer vehicles, and less than 8 years old. Sweet.

(ii) Notwithstanding clause (i), beginning January 1, 2019, all motor vehicles eight or less model-years old, unless the state board finds that providing an exception for these vehicles will prohibit the state from meeting the requirements of Section 176(c) of the federal Clean Air Act (42 U.S.C. Sec. 7401 et seq.) or the state’s commitments with respect to the state implementation plan required by the federal Clean Air Act.
(iii) Clause (ii) does not apply to a motor vehicle that is seven model-years old in year 2018 for which a certificate of compliance has been obtained.
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180AB1274

It's actually SIX years, for smog compliance. And, I believe there's new legislation to advance 2017 and later vehicles to EIGHT years. Don't quote me on this, but I believe it's a fact.

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Welp, i guess that's the only 3 options out there.

And they are not even C.A.R.B. legal for the 2018s.

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I was doing my Black Friday online today and I've been eyeing the Mishi Wrinkle Blue intake.

I already had a game plan since I can get it for $352 shipped from Mishi.

I was doing a final pass to see if there are other options for a cheaper price (that is still C.A.R.B).

I found and bought this:

Text Purple Font Violet Line

That is pretty much half off!

I do like the dual cone design and it should take advantage of the design of the box.

It does look OEM, less stress from 5-0 and smog (I hope)!

Here's a video:

So happy with a great deal!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts