Ford Focus RS Forum banner

321 - 340 of 349 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Reading through this thread is one of the major reasons I’d opt. for FW or SB in an RS, for daily driving, especially in CA. It’s nice to be able to ‘blend in’ with traffic a little bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have a nitrous blue RS and have been pulled over/ticketed once. Got pulled over for doing 84 in a 70, which I deserved after getting carried away mobbing on the freeway during a rainy day. Since then I just set my cruise control at the speed limit (or below it) and haven't had any trouble whatsoever. The cops don't even look my way, and I pass a lot of them on a weekly basis.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have had my NB for over 2 years in SF Bay Area and haven't been pulled over in it. Initially I was worried that the color was too flashy but lately Toyota and Honda have been using a very similar color on some of their models so it's not sticking out as much.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Only ticket I've gotten in CA was during a long commute north, pulled over by some hodunk hipo in a town with like 200 people for 'illegal tint' and no front plate. I played dumb and told him the tint guy said it was legal. I only kept it respectful because I had just found out my license had expired with no letter from the DMV (Only found out when a cashier wouldn't let me buy beer with it), and he really could have screwed me.

This is after driving the car with no front plate/tint for 2 1/2 years in LA without any attention from cops.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Only ticket I've gotten in CA was during a long commute north, pulled over by some hodunk hipo in a town with like 200 people for 'illegal tint' and no front plate. I played dumb and told him the tint guy said it was legal. I only kept it respectful because I had just found out my license had expired with no letter from the DMV (Only found out when a cashier wouldn't let me buy beer with it), and he really could have screwed me.

This is after driving the car with no front plate/tint for 2 1/2 years in LA without any attention from cops.
Only reason I have been pulled over as well. Driving up the 395 for illegal tint.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my NB RS on Friday (Dec 27) and got pulled over on I-15 jus outside SLC within 3 hours of buyin the car. Officer informed me I was sold a vehicle with illegal tint. Utah says 45% front windows, car apparently has 17% tint; I live in Texas, so he let me off with a 'fix it when you get home' warning.
When I asked him the best way to merge back onto the highway in traffic, he says to me, "they see my lights, they'll move over, and you're fast enough I'm sure" =0p

·
Registered
116 Posts
Boring Shadow Black here, accidentally set off some loud pops (AWE Track and a tune) and the cop was absolutely looking around...must have thought 'no way it was that ford focus' and stayed put.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Shadow Black ‘17 here. I was waved to slow down while going 50 on a twisty backroad 25. Cop saw me flat out and just stuck his hand out the window. I slowed to traffic average and he followed me a bit, then pulled up at a light and just told me to slow down.

·
Registered
2017 FoRS mk3
68 Posts
Last Tuesday a cop followed me home in a umarked car, didnt notice him until i saw a car blocked my garage while i was parking.

He was so pissed that i passed him with +150kmh on a B-road (80kmh).
And he looked so mad, and then i realized that i knew that mad face, it was an old Friend from Army, in 2009 we was in same sqaud in Helmand/Afghanistan as Army infantry.
We ended up talking "old days", exchanged phone numbers and arranged a meeting in the future.

So "lucky" that i drove like an idiot that day, or else we would never have seen each other again =)

·
Registered
696 Posts
Interesting police encounter this evening in Brisbane city, Australia. Pulled up in traffic by a cop on foot who asked me about the colour of my fog lights and whether I knew it was an offence to have them on during the day (it was past 6pm and my main headlights had automatically gone on). While I admitted that the covers were aftermarket (and I actually did research the yellow ones and confirmed they were a legal colour), he had me out of the car to suggest that my fogs were significantly brighter than would normally be the case. Buggered if I know how this works and I challenged this by saying that my bulbs were stock but no dice.

Also learned that I was on a watch list to be pulled up by city cops who had noted my fog lights previously. Nice to be wanted.

Otherwise was a very cordial and polite stop and he let me off for the illegal covers ($153 and a point) but did me for having them on during the day ($53 and no points). Might even challenge that.

I just can’t believe that I have been pulled up for pretty much the ONLY visual modification on my car!!

Did say he liked the RS tho

·
Registered
629 Posts
He is correct, have had a ticket for that myself years ago, when the foggys were bumped on when cleaning and I had no idea they were on! DRL are ok(obviously), foglights are for foggy conditions etc, don't think you will have much chance of beating that.

·
Registered
696 Posts
He is correct, have had a ticket for that myself years ago, when the foggys were bumped on when cleaning and I had no idea they were on! DRL are ok(obviously), foglights are for foggy conditions etc, don't think you will have much chance of beating that.
Yes, certainly he is right but damn, it’s very petty.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I 100% agree on that, but if they dazzle an oncoming driver, then it becomes an issue, that's what I was told when I was done.

·
Registered
233 Posts
To me these laws about when your fog lights can be on are some of the most moronic ones that exist - as long as your fog lights are not WAY too bright and have a low cut-off there is no way that they can cause issues while driving since they can't blind anyone. In fact, because of the RS headlights don't disperse as much I turn the fog lights on more than in previous cars just to be able to see the road closer to the front of the car.

I was driving my brother's car in Bulgaria a couple of years ago and also got pulled over for having my fog lights on without fog - I politely explained that we were through hard rain an hour ago and I had forgotten to turn them off so the cop let me go with just a warning.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Nitrous Blue & Race Red definitely makes an RS a target for cops. I mean those two colors are about as bright as you can get.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Seeing the posts about getting pulled over for tint got me thinking. If you have a car regsitered in a state that allows failry dark tint, and you are driving it in a state that allows basically no tint, can you get a ticket?

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
I'm no lawyer but I think of it as law of the land. Laws like wipers on/lights on laws in some states, it does not matter the tags on the car, you are on roads in that state you follow the law. I think Maryland or somewhere where there are car meets, the police there would ticket for exhaust regardless of origin state.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm no lawyer but I think of it as law of the land. Laws like wipers on/lights on laws in some states, it does not matter the tags on the car, you are on roads in that state you follow the law. I think Maryland or somewhere where there are car meets, the police there would ticket for exhaust regardless of origin state.
I would mostly agree but you need to have some flexibility - a friend was cited in NJ for missing front license plate. The problem was that in PA at the time (early 2000s) he couldn't even get a front plate from the state. So he was in a catch 22 situation without any possibility to get out and ended up just paying the fine.

321 - 340 of 349 Posts