Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, as many of you know, the Focus RS has been around for a while but not available to us over here in the states. I'm pretty young (20) so when it first came out and was featured on top gear I was only a child and I fell in love with the car. Unfortunately as I grew reality hit me that I would never own those RS's, at least not until 25 years after production. I was forced to grow up and get real. Now I've been pretty fortunate with my investments. So when it was time to pick my car it was pretty my decision since it was my money. I ended up going with a used 2013 Ford Raptor and my parents picked up the few thousand I didn't have but they didn't mind bc I got a scholarship for school so they're saving a lot of money.

I guess my point is, I wanted a Focus RS for about 10 years now and the opportunity has finally come where one is available to me. So do I trade in my awesome DD raptor for my the little hot hatch that could? And since they're limited I feel as if I pass this opportunity up then it'll be hard to come by one later.

Side note: I also have a 1968 Camaro that I found for 5k that I'm restoring right now. Should be done in August of this year if I had to put a time on it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Do you need a truck bed for work or yard work or anything? If you do not NEED a truck, sell it and get the RS you will not regret it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The truck has come in handy since my family lives in the backwoods of Arkansas but there has been no time when I absolutely needed it.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
As someone who genuinely doesn't understand the value of owning a truck, I'd say trade it in. And this coming from a guy whose most practical car alternates between a Miata and a Fiat 500 depending on the weather. The one time in my life that I've ever needed a truck I gave Home Depot a crisp $20 and delivered my new bed in their rented F-350. Living farther away from things skews that a bit, but renting a truck on occasion is quite a bit cheaper than owning/insuring one yourself.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The truck has come in handy since my family lives in the backwoods of Arkansas but there has been no time when I absolutely needed it.
If you're not using the truck for work and you say that you've never absolutely needed it, then I would trade in the Raptor for the RS. Being a hatchback, the RS is going to be very practical in its own right with a good amount of space in the back available for moving things around, especially with the rear seats down.

That said, you might also want to look into selling your truck first before you decide to trade it in, as you will more than likely get more money from selling the truck privately than trading it in.

·
Registered
653 Posts
As someone who does understand the value of owning a truck I'd also say trade it in, OR what may be even better is to try and sell your Camaro project and get a good down payment ready and take on payments (not sure what your financial situation is, I see you're in school, but if your only bill would be the car payment a part time job would easily cover that).

Trucks are great, I miss mine daily. Can't throw a motorcycle in the back of an RS, and you can always scrape together work if times get hard and you have a truck! But it's like my pops told me many moons ago "cars and jobs come and go, only ex-wives last forever". There will be more trucks in both our futures, but who knows how many of these RS's will come around.

Perhaps you can swing both vehicles without the project and a with a part time job, I don't know, but if not and you'd have to sell the truck to make it happen I don't think you'd regret it. Speaking no from my own experience, sure I miss my truck, a lot at times, but I don't regret my decision at all, it was the right move for me to downsize again. Just sit down and get honest with yourself and pen and paper and write out a in depth pros and cons list for all available options.

Best of luck with your decision and let us know where you end up with it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts