Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a really dumb question, but its been driving me nuts. I decided to scope out the inside of the cylinders while I was working on the car the other day. When I was checking out the pistons, I noticed that they seem to be flat pistons. Every picture I have seen of stock pistons has a bowl as well as valve reliefs on them. I know that my camera doesn't have the best resolution, but I would think I would be able to see that. Also I noticed what looks like a QR code etched into the back of the cylinder walls. I only got pics of cylinders 1 and 2 since I didnt pull the intake to get to the others. Can anyone tell me if this looks normal or shine some light on it?
Gadget Television set Audio equipment Gas Output device
Eye Human body Automotive lighting Rectangle Tints and shades
Automotive lighting Eyelash Rectangle Gadget Gas

·
Registered
817 Posts
This may be a really dumb question, but its been driving me nuts. I decided to scope out the inside of the cylinders while I was working on the car the other day. When I was checking out the pistons, I noticed that they seem to be flat pistons. Every picture I have seen of stock pistons has a bowl as well as valve reliefs on them. I know that my camera doesn't have the best resolution, but I would think I would be able to see that. Also I noticed what looks like a QR code etched into the back of the cylinder walls. I only got pics of cylinders 1 and 2 since I didnt pull the intake to get to the others. Can anyone tell me if this looks normal or shine some light on it?
View attachment 357550 View attachment 357551 View attachment 357552
Those pictures are of the top of the pistons, not including any cylinder wall (right side of first picture shows the piston edge/wall). The bowls and the QR are on the top of the piston.

Reactions: Skidood

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
It's one thing to look down a borescope and another thing to interpret what you're seeing. I used high end unit's for 35 years to look inside big commercial jet engines and we used to have components on hand to remind us of the perspective we were getting. Later in my career I used to spend a bit of time helping the guys understand what they were seeing through the boro. It's a bit of a learning experience especially when you're deciding if you need to pull a 10 million dollar engine and send it to the shop for a stripdown.

Ciao

1 - 6 of 6 Posts