Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Given the PTU limitations I doubt I'll be adding any power but I'm ok with that.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Borg Warner probably said that no one would tune Haldex when it first came out too. The controller for the gen 5 Haldex in the mk7 R is in final testing stages now.

But that's irrelevant to this thread.

·
Super Moderator
15,484 Posts
Here's what Cobb lists as being Stage 1-3 on the FoST:

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

With all of the already FoRS upgraded parts, I'm thinking the tune by itself will be Stage 1.

Then everyone will start dabbling with this part is an improvement over stock.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
No problem Jalopnik just added 5 Hp ( or reported new figures); now the RS is being touted at 350/350 :cool:
But maybe the extra 5 are going to the front wheels only! haha

I'm sure Ford had whatever the final number is documented internally for a long time. I think they just like ****ing with our heads. :)

·
Super Moderator
15,484 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,484 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Please no stages. Please. The Ford market has avoided this for so long until the recent addition of the FoST and FiST to the US market.
I'll agree. The whole "stage" thing is dumb. It just screams "Yo, my EVO stage 3 wit NOS will outrun any Ferrari #YOLO". Nothing in the aftermarket industry is standardized, making stages misleading.

If there must be stages then they should be identified by performance benchmarks on individual cars.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'll agree. The whole "stage" thing is dumb. It just screams "Yo, my EVO stage 3 wit NOS will outrun any Ferrari #YOLO". Nothing in the aftermarket industry is standardized, making stages misleading.

If there must be stages then they should be identified by performance benchmarks on individual cars.
Exactly. It's just a way for companies to sell predefined packages of parts and offer canned tunes based on a predefined mod path.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Stage 1 = Whatever I can afford
Stage 2 = Whatever I can't afford but will buy anyway
Stage 3 = Whatever I can never buy :(

Jim

·
Registered
25 Posts
Lol, These stages talks make me laugh.
Please please don't bring "stages" to this platform.
It doesn't make you any cooler.

Here is a joke from Mike @ Road Race Engineering.
And even "bolt ons" has many different meanings to different people. Guys will call to schedule a tune and say they have full bolts ons.

Dude: How much is a tune?
Me: What kind of mods do you have?
Dude: I have full bolt ons.
Me: OK, you got cams?
Dude: No.
Me: Upgraded O2 housing?
Me: Big turbo?
Me: 3 port installed already with a fuel pump then at least?
Dude: No 3 port yet but the guy that sold me the car 3 years ago said he put a Walbro in it back in 2004.
Me: You should put a new one in maybe?
Dude: It already has a Walbro.
Me: Injectors?
Dude: They are stock.
Me: How about this then... exactly what do you have?
Dude: Full exhaust and an intake.
Me: You just said you dont have an O2 housing installed but you have a "full exhaust"?.
Dude: Yes.
Me:OK, but you will probably want in intercooler upgrade.
Dude: I already have an intercooler installed.
Me: You said you have just an intake.
Dude: Yes, all my intake.
Me: So intercooler piping is good to go.
Dude: No, I dont have a lower intercooler pipe... How much is a full stage 3 set up then? I am tryin gto beat my butty with an Sti and he has a full Stage 3

Mike W

·
Registered
561 Posts
I think it's just a simplicity thing for basic modifiers. Especially if you're on a Subaru forum for instance. Saying you have a stage 2 Cobb sti 99% of people will know what that is without typing out, air filter, exhaust, tune etc.

·
Registered
306 Posts

Agree^
Adding a tune is never first stage for me.

Nobody knows what the RS will really needs. Even it's intercooler looks massive. I can't wait to see what inefficiencies these aftermarket engineers find. Or what Ford Performance Racing offers in their own catalog. They will have the best testing bed, as the RS will be racing Rally events with Ken Block at the helm next year.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I dont think there is going to be too much room for more power. I would imagine maybe a bigger downpipe and E85 tune would be it. The catback seems to be pretty unrestricted based on videos, and the FMIC is huge compared to the little one in the EB mustang. Also, based off of the sound of the RS when it revs, it seems the intake isn't very restricted either, as you can hear the turbo spool easily.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts