Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys, stuck in a weird situation. Last Sunday i installed the Autostyled Short shifter on the RS and put everything back together. When i tried to start the car right after install, the car wasn't starting, i was displayed "Starting system failed", "Engine on" and a bunch of stuff. I tried disconnecting the battery but no luck. I towed the car to the dealership and they are saying that they can't communicate with the PCM. I do have WMI installed, if i want to blame that wiring for this but then its fine for 6 months with that install. I don't know what went wrong. Now just waiting on those guys to figure out the issue.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Good luck, hard to say without codes or looking at the car. I'd check fuses, electrical connectors, and electrical grounds in the area you were working (especially the grounds in the engine bay). Then pull the battery for 30 minutes to reset everything

IIRC there isn't much near the transmission where you were working to cause that issue, but it sure sounds like an electrical problem. Where is your WMI tank?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Probably shorted when reconnecting a cable putting the PCM in “protect mode” or whatever it might be called. You have to disconnect the battery cables and hold them together to discharge the capacitors. After that it usually starts...

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
There are two grounds on the frame rail too. Maybe one got bumped. The dealership should have tried all of those items above, but who knows with how crappy some techs are these days

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Guys!!! I have to call the dealer and see what's going on. I'll ask them if they took the battery out and tired.
Good luck, hard to say without codes or looking at the car. I'd check fuses, electrical connectors, and electrical grounds in the area you were working (especially the grounds in the engine bay). Then pull the battery for 30 minutes to reset everything

IIRC there isn't much near the transmission where you were working to cause that issue, but it sure sounds like an electrical problem. Where is your WMI tank?
The tank is on the back.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still no update from the dealership. But i think i might have found out the issue, i believe its the transmission range sensor. Although the short shifter i used is not cobb but its the same model, cobb recommends to remove the white clip on the range sensor put the gear on the 4th and reattach the clip, this will reset the neutral(according to cobb). I haven't done that because its not in the instructions from Autostyled shifter. So i think the range sensor failed and confused the PCM. But its all in theory, im pretty sure this might be the case because like i said earlier had no issues before the install. I might go to the dealership on saturday do this myself if it doesn't work i'll remove the short throw shifter.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Still no update from the dealership. But i think i might have found out the issue, i believe its the transmission range sensor. Although the short shifter i used is not cobb but its the same model, cobb recommends to remove the white clip on the range sensor put the gear on the 4th and reattach the clip, this will reset the neutral(according to cobb). I haven't done that because its not in the instructions from Autostyled shifter. So i think the range sensor failed and confused the PCM. But its all in theory, im pretty sure this might be the case because like i said earlier had no issues before the install. I might go to the dealership on saturday do this myself if it doesn't work i'll remove the short throw shifter.
Not resetting the shifter would not cause an issue you described.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
That's just to align the shifter/cable and will help smooth notchy (misaligned) shifts, but skipping this step won't cause the electrical issues you're experiencing.

Reactions: phillofoc

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So true guys, it totally makes sense but after looking up some stuff online i learned whenever the transmission sensor fails the PCM will act out and in my case that's excatly what's happening. Like i said i couldn't think of anything else that could've went wrong. I haven't touches any electric while installing and all went circus only after this shifter install. Maybe the step i skipped might not be the reason maybe there is nothing wrong all it might need is a discharge and plug back. Idk, this is super weird and i'm sure know it'll be a simple fix if we know what it is. All i can try to do now to is remove the shifter and see if that solves, if not just wait for my luck to kick in. Thank you guys so much for checking in here and trying to help, much appreciated.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Did you ever find out what the problem was? I never did the cable re adjustment when I installed my shift plate and curious if it could really cause an issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts