41 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does it have an official name (Nitrous Blue, Performance Blue, etc...)?
No, but I named it RS Badge Blue when I ordered it from 66 Auto Color.

Yes it's called Nitrous Blue.
@Moneypenny is right. It's a different color than Nitrous Blue. It matches the RS badge on the bumpers and the calipers. Below is a picture of my rear sway bar painted in that color.

20170404_124744.jpg

·
Premium Member
2016 Focus RS2
347 Posts
Sorry, I thought you were asking about the car color, mia culpa for not reading more thoroughly rather than the title/subject line. I believe the badge color is Performance Blue according to some third party vinyl makers I have read.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@SurfCfl, do you know where I can order the 293C color in a paint for plastics? I want to paint my Accessport cover this color.
I did a lot of research to find a company that sells top notch custom spay paint. I don't think you can go wrong with 66autocolor.com. For the parts I've painted I used the all-in-one paint that includes an automotive gloss. For what you want to do, I think the base coat option would work fine.

·
Registered
185 Posts
No. Pantone 293C is the blue on the RS badge and brake calipers.
I'm pretty sure the calipers are approximately the same color/shade as Nitrous Blue (minus the gold metallic flakes) and the front and rear RS badges are 293c (Performance Blue)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm pretty sure the calipers are approximately the same color/shade as Nitrous Blue (minus the gold metallic flakes) and the front and rear RS badges are 293c (Performance Blue)
Did you to look at the picture I posted on the first page of this thread? That sway bar is painted 293C.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Did you to look at the picture I posted on the first page of this thread? That sway bar is painted 293C.
The sway bar pic you posted looks like it matches the calipers exactly. Isn't that NB? That darker blue in the RS badge cant possibly be 293C if thats what the sway bar is. Looks much darker.

maxresdefault.jpg

161841d1493034901-paint-code-rs-blue-20170404_124744.jpg

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The sway bar pic you posted looks like it matches the calipers exactly. Isn't that NB? That darker blue in the RS badge cant possibly be 293C if thats what the sway bar is. Looks much darker.
I think it's an optical illusion. I got the paint code from Ford for the RS badge (pantone 293C). By chance I happened to notice that it matched the calipers also. I was very surprised about that because like you I thought the colors couldn't possibly match. I held that sway bar up against my RS badge and had three people confirm that the blue on the bar matched the blue on the RS badge.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think it's an optical illusion. I got the paint code from Ford for the RS badge (pantone 293C). By chance I happened to notice that it matched the calipers also. I was very surprised about that because like you I thought the colors couldn't possibly match. I held that sway bar up against my RS badge and had three people confirm that the blue on the bar matched the blue on the RS badge.
Print out a sheet of paper that has 2925C (my rough guess match to nitrous blue) and 293C, hold them up to the caliper and see which one is closer for you.

I did, and here it is on my rear and then again on the front caliper. Darker color on the paper is 293C lighter is 2925C. I printed with a Brother color laser and used a Sony Cybershot HX10V on auto so YMMV. If anything I think the camera darkened the pictures because of the sundown conditions taking the pic. To my eye there is no way the calipers are painted 293C though. I didn't compare them to the front and rear badges since I just put dmb gels on both, so my "RS"s all match. =)

FWIW - the RGB code for printing are:

293C = 0,61,165
2925C = 0,156,222

DSC00555.JPG
DSC00557.jpg

-Jason

·
Registered
115 Posts
Print out a sheet of paper that has 2925C (my rough guess match to nitrous blue) and 293C, hold them up to the caliper and see which one is closer for you.

I did, and here it is on my rear and then again on the front caliper. Darker color on the paper is 293C lighter is 2925C. I printed with a Brother color laser and used a Sony Cybershot HX10V on auto so YMMV. If anything I think the camera darkened the pictures because of the sundown conditions taking the pic. To my eye there is no way the calipers are painted 293C though. I didn't compare them to the front and rear badges since I just put dmb gels on both, so my "RS"s all match. =)

FWIW - the RGB code for printing are:

293C = 0,61,165
2925C = 0,156,222

View attachment 167874
View attachment 167882

-Jason
Great work dude. I am fairly convinced now the calipers are 2925C. What is that color called?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Great work dude. I am fairly convinced now the calipers are 2925C. What is that color called?
No idea. I just guessed. :)

What I did was take the big blue pic/image in this post from LouFromDetroit: The Official Nitrous Blue Thread - Page 33

Then ran that through a pantone color matching site: Find Color On Logo Image - RGB, CMYK, PMS (Pantone Color Matching)

Then I eyeballed the various colors the site found in the image and picked the one that looked closest to me and printed it out.

Give it a try and see if there is one that matches closer to your eye. I could be spot on, or I might also be a few shades and half a tone off.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@Sirjinx nice work! It's hard to compare a print to a gloss finish. I think the picture of my sway bar next to the calipers is pretty conclusive.

But I want you and @dBaseD to know that I was wrong about 293C matching the RS badge. It was night when we compared the sway bar to the badge and then we installed the sway bar so we never compared it in sunlight. I painted another part in 293C and compared it to the RS badge in the sunlight and 293C is definitely lighter than the RS badge. So sorry for the misinformation.

After that comparison, I did some more digging and found out that the blue in the RS badge is actually a standard Ford color named Performance Blue. Its Ford paint code is L1. I ordered a can of Ford L1 automotive paint and it is an exact match to the RS badge. And yes, I did compare them in the sunlight this time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts