Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the part number for the canister purge valve? The car has thrown this code twice in the past few weeks. I did a web search but nothing came up for the RS. There are alot of part numbers for an ST and a Mustang Eco. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
258 Posts
FYI, my ‘16, at 36,223 on the ODO, threw this code today; I’m checking out the part # and will report back if I buy it, with results.. I found a few hits on the Fiesta ST forums which points to a similar, if not the same, part.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Ok.. while searching for "P144C" and "Focus RS" on the web, I found a publicly-accessible doc on fordservicecontent.com which indicates that P144C is produced by a "... failed open, improperly installed, or missing..." Canister Purge Valve (CPV) for MY17 Ford & Lincoln autos.

So then I turned to the workshop manual, and the "Evaporative Emission Canister Purge Valve" has a base part number of "9D289". On parts.ford.com, this is listed as the "Tube Assy - Fuel Vapour Separator", and currently goes for $94.80 USD. So, this appears to be the part which contains the valve (which can be seen in the CAD illustration on parts.ford.com) which needs to be replaced. This also lines up with a few findings on other Focus (non RS) & Fiesta (as mentioned) forums.

Now, this would appear to be different from the Canister Purge Solenoid (CPS), which, assuming documents are correct, would produce a DTC of "P144A" instead. That solenoid has a base part # of "9F945" and is what @BigFatFlip mentioned (thanks for posting because that helped, I think, clear up some of my own confusion in the few hours I've been looking into this); this part has also been co-mingled with the P144C DTC in other forums, but again, that appears to be correlated to DTC P144A. Instead, part # 9D289 appears to be the right one for DTC P144C.

Edit: Update @ 4:00 PM PT - Found a YouTube video showing replacement of a similar part on a '13 Fusion due to the same DTC code (P144C). While the part is $94.80 from parts.ford.com, it's $57.33 on Amazon, sold by Ford. I placed the order with parts.ford.com, which showed me the full part number. Curious, I went looking, and found the Amazon listing, so I cancelled the order on parts.ford.com.

Can someone check my logic?

References:
  1. "2017 MY OBD System Operation Summary for Gasoline Engines"
    1. http://www.fordservicecontent.com/ford_content/catalog/motorcraft/OBDSM1704.pdf
    2. Page: 52
    3. Quote:
      1. Boosted applications use a mechanical check valve between the intake manifold and the Canister Purge Valve (CPV). The purpose of this check valve is to prevent reverse flow through the evaporative emissions system under boosted conditions. The check valve is a simple diaphragm type valve were the rubber diaphragm slides inside a cylinder and is pushed against a stop under boost closing off flow through the valve. While at atmosphere or under vacuum the valve is pulled off the stop allowing flow from the evaporative system to the intake manifold. The check valve diagnostic looks for a failed open, improperly installed, or missing valve that could result in intake manifold vapors being pushed back into the evaporative emissions system (see figure below). A failed check valve is detected if the rate of rise in Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor is greater than a calibratable threshold while the Canister Vent Valve is closed, Canister Purge Valve open, and the engine is boosted above a minimum level (under boost the system should be sealed if the check valve is operating properly). This condition will set DTC P144C.
  2. Part on parts.ford.com:
    1. https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/tube-assy-fuel-vapour-separator-7895825-1#sectionId:141071956
    2. Part #: 9D289

·
Registered
143 Posts
Did you end up buying the seperator tube? or the canister close valve? I got the CEL this morning

·
Registered
2016 RS
167 Posts
Just replaced this myself.. yay!!👎🏻 2016 60k kms

1 - 6 of 6 Posts