Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the damn RS decided to throw a code at 13K miles of pinned driving. I scanned it and found P0456: Evap emissions leak, very small. Being a Ford guy I know of an inherit problem with cap less gas caps not sealing correctly after a while and so I tried the ghetto fix that a buddy shop foreman showed me years ago. This ghetto fix involves taking the funnel out of the car trunk, a WD40 bottle, clean rags, compressed air and ample light. Take the compressed air (30psi) and blow any debris visible or invisible from the cap less gas entry hole. Then insert the funnel into the hole. While it’s inserted take a VERY SMALL SPRAY of WD 40, I SAID VERY SMALL, AS IN A VERY SMALL AMOUNT, and literally shove in and out repeatedly for 30 seconds. Remove funnel and clean any debris present again. Now repeat with wd40 inserting the funnel again to activate the seal on the door closing feature of the cap less design. ONCE AGAIN A SMALL AMOUNT BROHAMS. This will allow the seal to hold within the spec of 0.010", well at least it did on mine. After 6 drive cycles the check engine light is gone and I am now happy.lol:rockout:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Great to know! Thanks for sharing!!!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Good solution op. Having lived with the damn capless system since 2006, you almost always need to insure that the spring-loaded flapper snaps back FULLY into the closed position when you remove the pump nozzle. Also, you need to be careful not to damage the mechanism as replacing the entire filler neck is no easy chore.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where exactly are you spraying the WD-40
Wd40 is a great cleaner , horrible lubricant , so applying to the fill nozzle exterior section and inserting numerous times you will see lots of black debris from the capless entry hole left on nozzle. Wipe clean and do again , Like a lot , do until clean. I now do every oil change it takes 3-5min max.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just threw a p0456 code - Shoving in and out with lubrication is a task I think I can handle.. I will try.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just threw a p0456 code - Shoving in and out with lubrication is a task I think I can handle.. I will try.
The amount of dirty residue is mind blowing if done properly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts