Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

My stock Focus RS with 11,XXX miles threw code P0420 yesterday while I was driving around. Had the code checked at a local autozone since it was Sunday and the dealer was closed. Car will be at the dealer this week to have the code troubleshot. I will post updates when I find out why this code is being thrown.

P0420 = Catalyst System Efficiency Below Treshold (Bank 1)

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
interesting! usually that code is thrown due to aftermarket downpipes. Most likely a damaged sensor or an exhaust leak. Try clearing the code and see if it comes back after the next drive cycle. You shouldn't see any drivability issues.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
interesting! usually that code is thrown due to aftermarket downpipes. Most likely a damaged sensor or an exhaust leak. Try clearing the code and see if it comes back after the next drive cycle. You shouldn't see any drivability issues.
I don't have a AP or any device to clear the code my self yet. I drove the car a 140 miles with the light on.. didn't turn off and doesn't feel down on power. I'm taking it to the dealer Wednesday and will report back what they find/say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
I just popped an O2 sensor based code as well, let's take some notes on what we find. I'm also all stock.

Reactions: FiSTer

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Post back here when you find out what's going on!!!!

Going tomorrow at 1430 for my appointment, code popped about 40 miles after I cleared the ECU and pulled the battery terminal.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
any updates on this issue? Dealer has my car and they do not know what to do.
UPDATE: My car blew its head shortly after my cat blew. They are replacing everything under warranty and have had the car since May 15th. 11,xxx miles. April 2016 build.

·
Registered
26 Posts
UPDATE: My car blew its head shortly after my cat blew. They are replacing everything under warranty and have had the car since May 15th. 12,xxx miles. April 2016 build.

****! I'm sorry to hear that. I hope I don't have to go through the same thing. Have they given u a rental to use in the mean time or anything else to compensate you?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
****! I'm sorry to hear that. I hope I don't have to go through the same thing. Have they given u a rental to use in the mean time or anything else to compensate you?
They gave me a 2017 Fusion SE to drive while the car is being fixed. No other compensation.

·
5,628 Posts
Hi FiSTer,

Sorry to hear your engine has popped.

Can you please update this thread with your details?
Tia.

Reactions: FiSTer and neox.286

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi FiSTer,

Sorry to hear your engine has popped.

Can you please update this thread with your details?
Tia.
I have already posted some small details on that thread. Not sure anymore details help..

Screen name: FiSTer
Symptoms/when did you notice issue?: Head/head gasket failure, verified by Ford. White smoke and sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders.
Mileage when issue confirmed:11,450
VIN (last 4 digits):4605 - April 2016 build - v4 engine
Modifications (what are they) or stock: Bone stock
Dealer action to resolve: Dealer is replacing the whole engine.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts