Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the code initially at the tail end of a track day, I cleared it and had no more issues for the rest of the day. It has since come back 3 times now, all under normal driving conditions and each time I’m getting more and more symptoms. At first when I’d come to a stop, the idle would drop to about 600 rpms and then come back to 750. Then it was that in addition to a strong fuel smell, and now when I come to a stop the idle will drop to 500 come up to about 1200 back to 750 but stumble as if about to die but it doesn’t along with the fuel smell. I’ve read about the high pressure fuel sensor and cleaning the air flow sensor, but does anyone else have insight as to what could be causing this. I have full bolt ons and a 91 tune. Thanks.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Interesting. I just got this after a track day today. Totally stock powertrain no tune. I guess I’ll be taking it to my least favorite place in town. I’ll let you know what they say.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
It’s the fuel pressure sensor.
Look at your STFT, max out after a reset.

That’s the cause, super easy fix.

Dealer will prolly take a few visits.....

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Short term fuel trim....

·
Registered
763 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
It’s the fuel pressure sensor.
Look at your STFT, max out after a reset.

That’s the cause, super easy fix.

Dealer will prolly take a few visits.....
Thanks for the info. Since I’m not tuned I won’t be messing with the ecu but good to know where the problem lies.

Is it only a software fix (reset and max values) or did you need to replace any sensors or fuel pumps or anything else?

Any idea why this pops up after track use? Is this fuel starvation due to high-g cornering? I never dropped below half tank during the day.

If I return to street driving will it clear itself?

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
If you reset the ecu by pulling the battery, you can see the ECU adjust the STFT at idle and eventually max out and throw the code.

It's a bad sensor, common across the Ecoboost platform, i do believe the issue is also common across the platform, not sure if a track day has anything to do with it really? Not sure what is going wrong in the sensor itself?

Super easy replacement, and cheap.

Mine was somewhat intermittent. Sometimes it would disappear for a week or two.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the reply’s, I was reading through this thread as well and it got me thinking as I did occasionally experience fuel cut coming out of some of the higher speed corners.
However, JJameson, I’m going to take you advice and replace the pressure sensor first before I dig into the fuel pumps.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
The issue I speak too is at idle condition. I believe the issue with the fuel pressure sensor is at low flow idle, when the sensor is in full go it’s fine.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Also, check check your downpipe connection to the turbo. A blown out or faulty gasket will cause this same issue and abnormal STFT/LTFT. Ask me how I know ?. I’ve done the whole repair manual including upgrading fuel filter, replacing fuel sensor, checked all vacuum lines, and even swapped out breather plates. Funny enough this happened after a hot track day as well and it ended up being a leaking gasket from the down pipe where it meets the turbo.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got that code some time ago. so for any lean code you check short and long fuel trims. for a air leak. then 02 sensors. I had to replace the bank 1 sensor 1 and reset my kam. and now every month or so I will reset my kam so zero everything out.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Took it to the dealer. They said there is a TSB for it and all it needed was a pcm program. We’ll see if the CEL comes back. For the record I never had any symptoms, always idled and drive fine.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
So I've had this code pop up a few times now over the last couple of months. The first couple times, it would go away for a couple of weeks, but recently, the code would show up more frequently/shorter duration between clearing the code. Car runs normal and drives well otherwise.

A few things to note:
-Potential relevant mods: tune from various tuners, UPR catch can, UPR oil cap, mountune breather plate, full mountune intake, ETS intercooler & pipes
-In the last month, I did: replaced battery (required removal of intake, light weight shorai died so went back to original battery that came with the car), changed oil, undid UPR catch can to clean and empty it, washed and re-oiled mountune air filter
-Been noticing black residue around catch can area and some on valve cover
-Switched to E30 tune (tune from a different tuner) more recently ~mid-month and got same code (seems like sooner)
-Been driving the car less and less due to working from home, so car has been sitting extended amounts of time.
-In all cases, CEL would show up during freeway cruising/partial throttle.

I have not been monitoring STFT/LTFT but will start after this last code clearing. What is "normal" and what is not?

@Camper Van Someren any more details on that TSB? I'm hesitant to take it to the dealer considering the tune and all the other stuff done, but I'm worried something is getting worse over time.

·
Registered
700 Posts
@Camper Van Someren any more details on that TSB? I'm hesitant to take it to the dealer considering the tune and all the other stuff done, but I'm worried something is getting worse over time.
My car is stock so that wasn’t really a concern for me.

The TSB number is on my receipt that I posted, on the right. Maybe you can call a tune-friendly dealer, give them the TSB number, and ask if your tune would affect the way they handle it?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts