Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given that in Oz we are running a different engine oil spec (0W-40) to that in the US (5W-50), I figured it's probably best starting a thread for our region and seeing what other's thoughts are on what oil brand etc they are going to use.

My early research so far shows only two oils meeting Fords M2C937-A approval spec, that being Castrols Edge 0W-40 and Liqui Moly 0W-40.

I have always been a Penrite fan and when checking their website they recommended HPR-5 which is a 5W-40 oil?Out of curiosity I called their tech hotline and got chatting with one of their oil gurus. Long story short, he said they had done the research and the HPR-5 is their reccomendation for the engine, mainly because our climate doesn't call for a 0W oil for cold start conditions.

Whilst I had no doubt what so ever what he was saying was incorrect, my only comment in reply was the warranty implications as the maintenance record book clearly states that Ford recommends a 0W-40 oil and when topping up you "must use" a 0W-40 spec oil if the approved spec cannot be found.

So for me given its wide availability and keeping the warranty in check, it looks like the Castrol Edge gets my vote.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Thanks for interpreting the different oil specs. I didnt know we were 0W-40. It seems you are keeping your RS within stock limits, and given routine warranty scheduled checks would include factory oil changes, i dont see why you would need to purchase. The technicians would apply the correct fluids accordingly to the service manuals for Australia

·
Registered
895 Posts
I too have been doing a bit of research into oils, 0W-40's as per the manual. For years(about 15) I have been using Royal Purple and have had no problems, engines always clean etc etc. I have only been looking at high end oils, cost is not an issue, I am very OCD about oil, my daily gets fresh Royal Purple every 3000km, I know that sounds rediculous, but I'm just really OCD and my current daily ONLY takes 3 ltrs including filter and regularly sees it's 8800rpm limiter!

So I looked at Royal purple, no 0W-40, no problem more research, Amsoil, yes they do, but really hard to get here in South Aust, so keep looking. Redline, they do a 0W-40, but supply is up and down in Adelaide. So I research Penrite, I have used these oils in the past and have no problem at all using Penrite. They do a 0W-40 called Premium 0 ten tenths, it's a 100% PAO ester. I think this is the oil I will be using. I will probably change my oil at 500km and replace with Ford, then change again at 1000km to Penrite. Yes I am OCD about oil, but it's cheap insurance, I have NEVER had an engine give me troubles due to oil problems.

·
Registered
895 Posts
The other thing with oils is usually manufacturers will give you a chart of different oil viscosities and ambient temperatures, I'm not sure if the RS does this as I do not own mine yet, but I'm sure someone that has one can clarify that for me from the owners manual.

·
Registered
895 Posts
When I was comparing the oils I was comparing oil data between different oils such as Viscosity at 100deg,/40deg, Index number, etc etc with the recommended Ford oil.

P.S. here's the link to Premium 0 Penrite oil.

PREMIUM 0W-40 (100% PAO ESTER)

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I was comparing the oils I was comparing oil data between different oils such as Viscosity at 100deg,/40deg, Index number, etc etc with the recommended Ford oil.

P.S. here's the link to Premium 0 Penrite oil.

PREMIUM 0W-40 (100% PAO ESTER)
Yeah I mentioned this spec when chatting to the Penrite tech. They don't reccomend it for the RS as additive package etc within the PAO will damage the cat short term. The 10 tenths is really for race applications only. I would count this one out.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Yeah I mentioned this spec when chatting to the Penrite tech. They don't reccomend it for the RS as additive package etc within the PAO will damage the cat short term. The 10 tenths is really for race applications only. I would count this one out.
I was wondering about that as the Zinc levels were high and as you say will damage the Cat, the problem I had when doing research was all the high end oils have alot of Zinc or extra Zinc etc! Bloody hell makes it hard, might just use the Ford oil!

Now has anyone priced the Ford oil?

·
Registered
895 Posts
I just checked Penrite HPR-5 5W-40 and their Semi-Syn 5W-40 and the literature says that they both contain 'Full Zinc' what ever that means and is the Zinc content enough to damage the Cat?????

·
Registered
262 Posts
Got my oil/filter changed at my first service at Ford. I asked and noted they used Castrol Edge 0-40W.

So bought myself a one litre bottle of Castrol Edge 0/40 from Autobarn. $22 if I recall.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Got my oil/filter changed at my first service at Ford. I asked and noted they used Castrol Edge 0-40W.

So bought myself a one litre bottle of Castrol Edge 0/40 from Autobarn. $22 if I recall.
I will pick up a bottle today when I pick up my kingpin backing plates.
A little off topic but what did the service cost? Is it a fixed price service?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for interpreting the different oil specs. I didnt know we were 0W-40. It seems you are keeping your RS within stock limits, and given routine warranty scheduled checks would include factory oil changes, i dont see why you would need to purchase. The technicians would apply the correct fluids accordingly to the service manuals for Australia
Depending on how many kms I will do a year I will do an interim service and either change the oil every 6 months or every 7,500 km. Also at the scheduled dealer service I always provide them the oil that way I can guarantee consistency over the life of the vehicle (at least whilst I own the car). The last 3 cars I have owned all from different manufacturers, no dealer could confirm that they would be using the same brand of oil in 4 years time. I posed the same question to my Ford dealer and they were quite upfront and honest and explained that they do change brands from time to time as they are part of a bigger dealer group. Also you will generally find that you can save a few bucks by supplying your own oil.
Cheers.

·
5,622 Posts
Wow 0-40W grade that's a bit extreme but I guess it is what it is..
What brands in Aus, come @0-40W?
ie is everyone using non synthetic, semi or synthetic? And what grade is already in it for burn in from factory?
Thnx to all replies..

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yep, the weight is an odd one, not much around in general and if you want to comply with the Ford mandate of WSS-M2C937-A you are very limited. Only found found Castrol, Liqui-Moly and Motul. Nothing but fully synthetic to meet that right now but that is the only place you should be looking.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Strange that the tech guy at Penrite would say that 10/10 Premium would damage the cat convertor, the conversation I had at length with them about a month ago where I pointed out that Australian RS manuals state "use 0-40 oils "and NOT what they had listed he concluded by saying that as I was going to use 10/10ths Premium they would stand by this oil as suitable. I have used penrite for years in a variety of Hi Perf. engines and had no issues. If my cat dies I will take it up with the RSPCA. LOL

·
5,622 Posts
I think i will stay with Castrol edge 0-40w until something supercedes it. Have used Mobil oils in past and i may try them as well. Interesting Comparison thread here.
Best to stay factory spec 4 now :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Agreed that others wont supersede as such, but others may join the party with a blend that meets the Ford spec. Lots of good oils out there, being in spec in case of a big bang is good policy for me

·
Registered
438 Posts
Does anyone know exactly why Australia is 0W-40 and US is 5W-50?

It seems counter productive, as we don't have the severe winters they do, and our summers tend to reach higher temperatures than theirs??

·
Registered
90 Posts
Does anyone know exactly why Australia is 0W-40 and US is 5W-50?

It seems counter productive, as we don't have the severe winters they do, and our summers tend to reach higher temperatures than theirs??
I cannot recall (and maybe because it is 6:30am and I have been awake since 8am yesterday I am making this up) but the NA RS has different power figures, therefore different tune and perhaps this different thermal properties?

Going with the lack of sleep thing though, perhaps I am just talking rubbish! lol but if my potentially faltered memory is correct, it might lead to some idea as to the basis of this difference?

1 - 20 of 144 Posts