Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OTS tunes
looking to purchase OTS tune what are people running and what results. Looking at Cobb, Mountune, dream science and MDS. MDS look the goods but not much on net about them. 2018 model LE I know i will be losing warranty but chance I'm willing to take if power increase is worth it. Don't want to have to wait 5yrs to start modding

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
MSD (Motor Sport Developments) is a reputable company who have been in the business for a fair while. One of their past claims to fame was running the original Hyundai world rally car (Accent) back in the early 00's. I think Mountune were involved too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Received my dreamscience imap today and already tuned..only mod is injen intake. Ran Ultima 2+ split second hesitation down low but car takes off like a wounded bull.
Ran Ultima 2 and car performs much smoother hits redline so quick with no hesitation whatsoever.
Will try custom tune at underground performance in the next two weeks to see the difference between the two.

·
Registered
226 Posts
MSD (Motor Sport Developments) is a reputable company who have been in the business for a fair while. One of their past claims to fame was running the original Hyundai world rally car (Accent) back in the early 00's. I think Mountune were involved too.

This is NOT the same company.

The MSD tunes are Motorsport Developments.

The Hyundai rally people are Motor Sports Development.

Confusing :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Finally got the RS tuned at Underground Performance Melbourne today.
The only other mod is an Injen intake. Totally different car...what a transformation. The torque comes on hard at low rpm and keeps going through the rev range.
I ran the dreamscience tunes as a comparison but honestly custom tune on the dyno is the way to go for this car.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Finally got the RS tuned at Underground Performance Melbourne today.
The only other mod is an Injen intake. Totally different car...what a transformation. The torque comes on hard at low rpm and keeps going through the rev range.
I ran the dreamscience tunes as a comparison but honestly custom tune on the dyno is the way to go for this car.
Good to hear! ,mind me asking what power and torque figure u.g.p achieved?

·
Registered
120 Posts
That's pretty good mate with just an intake. Was the u.g.p tune able to be put onto the stratagem handset by any chance?
Also curious did you happen to do a dyno run with the ultima 2 to see what power and delivery that was putting down?

·
Registered
23 Posts
To be honest I didn't explore that option if it is possible to go onto a handset...will look into when I go backfor downpipe and a tune revision.
Definitely did a run on the Ultima 2 as curiosity took over..but only managed a 219kw...drivability however is chalk and cheese between the two tunes..actually night and day.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Apologies...stock figure was 219kw..Ultima 2 was 226kw.. (which didn't make sense).....end result though was it makes great power now.

·
Registered
677 Posts
OTS tunes
looking to purchase OTS tune what are people running and what results. Looking at Cobb, Mountune, dream science and MDS. MDS look the goods but not much on net about them. 2018 model LE I know i will be losing warranty but chance I'm willing to take if power increase is worth it. Don't want to have to wait 5yrs to start modding
You may have to be more specific. Cobb do actual OTS tunes - you run their tune file onto your car and that’s it; there are no revisions based on your logs etc. the other companies you mention, and a bunch of others are either etuners or custom tuners - the former will send you a base tune file and get you to log that and send your revisions till you are dialled in or for the latter, dyno your car and custom tune it there.

IMO the Cobb OTS tunes are meh. I am with an etuner and very happy - chose him after extensive research and because I didn’t want to the inconvenience of putting my car a across a dyno every time I added mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
You may have to be more specific. Cobb do actual OTS tunes - you run their tune file onto your car and that’s it; there are no revisions based on your logs etc. the other companies you mention, and a bunch of others are either etuners or custom tuners - the former will send you a base tune file and get you to log that and send your revisions till you are dialled in or for the latter, dyno your car and custom tune it there.

IMO the Cobb OTS tunes are meh. I am with an etuner and very happy - chose him after extensive research and because I didn’t want to the inconvenience of putting my car a across a dyno every time I added mods.

@Warriormonx which e-tuner did you end up going with if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Went with Tune+ and very happy with the decision. Tuned for 98, e30, e30+WMI and e85. Car feels awesome.

Good to know, thanks! Tossing up between Tune+ and Stratified, from what I've read I can't go wrong with either. Always good to have real world testimonials from forum members :)

·
Registered
677 Posts
Yep, those were the two I ended up choosing from; considered JTS, Freektune, Mountune, Stratified and Tune+.

Chose Tune+ because I felt the tuning menu was simpler, the pricing easier to understand and the lifetime tune option was a real stand out. Adam has the reputation of being very very responsive and this has been the case with me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts