Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was about to buy some winter wheels for the RS and I got to check out to buy the TPMS sensors but there coming out to $272 for all 4 (from tirerack) I wanted to ask if I should go with tire racks sensors or buy some of my own?
After reading the thread below it seems I can get away with much cheaper sensors? Also will I need the Ford relearning tool there selling as well? I mean I am already paying like $600 for the wheels so an extra 272 isnt a big deal but just curious since Ive never done this

·
Registered
738 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Most places charge ~$50 per sensor. I bought cheap amazon sensors and 3 of 4 did not work.

The batteries last 6-8 years. I’d bite the bullet and buy good reputable sensors

·
Registered
861 Posts
You will not need the re-learning tool. The car will self-learn after driving 20-30 miles.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone for the responses. looks like I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy em from tire rack dont really want to deal with crappy sensors

·
Registered
861 Posts
Curious that some members have had issues with their vehicles auto-learning new TPMS sensors. I stand by my comment. The Focus RS will auto-learn after a short drive. Just brainstorming: make sure your new tires are inflated to a minimum of 40 psi before driving. After the learning process is complete, you can lower it to 36 psi if that is your preference. @01010110 might save a few dollars and hold off on the learning tool until you [might] need it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Curious that some members have had issues with their vehicles auto-learning new TPMS sensors. I stand by my comment. The Focus RS will auto-learn after a short drive. Just brainstorming: make sure your new tires are inflated to a minimum of 40 psi before driving. After the learning process is complete, you can lower it to 36 psi if that is your preference. @01010110 might save a few dollars and hold off on the learning tool until you [might] need it.
Ok thanks for that. Ill hold off on ordering that. But tirerack just sold out of my preferred wheels so I didnt end up buying them yet. So now Im gonna wait till I can find other wheels. Anyone have any other options then tirerack for wheels?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
The focus might auto learn after driving. I have 4 sets of wheels with sensors for my RS. Sometimes it auto relearns, sometimes it doesn’t.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You don't need the tool if you want to go through the built in learning function. With the car on but engine off (press clutch to start message on info screen) press the hazard button six times then go through the dance of deflating each tire till the car honks at you, its better documented somewhere on the forum

·
Registered
263 Posts
I bought these off of eBay back in April (2019) and did not need the tool.

2016 Ford Focus RS New TPMS Sensor Set Black Valve Stem 315 mhz

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have three sets of wheels with TPMS. Stock Forged w/OEM TPMS, winters w/Tirerack TPMS (no way I’d pay the current price), track w/OEM from ebay. I’ve never had to relearn the TPMS when swapping between sets or even when I mixed a set due to a damaged wheel.

Part number of the set I bought from eBay:
DE8T-1A180-AA TPMS
They are on Ebay for ~$36 for 4

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bought four from Tire Rack in Nov 2016, @ $36 each. Work great. No relearning. I'd give them a call, and double check the price, or see if they can offer a discount.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts