Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any hope that I can order late, like in January? I just got a new job that pays handsomely and won't have the money to front until around then.

What's the chances they'll do a job 2? If so, do I just tell the dealer to put in a retail order?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Unfortunately I'm not sure anyone knows :(

Some dealers will likely order some for themselves as allocations and try to mark them up so they'll sit around a bit. Some could still have allocations open by then. Sadly we have no concrete info in this area :(

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Is there any hope that I can order late, like in January? I just got a new job that pays handsomely and won't have the money to front until around then.

What's the chances they'll do a job 2? If so, do I just tell the dealer to put in a retail order?
I would put in a retail order. IMO there are a lot of people on this board freaking out, thinking that this run is the only run ever, and all of the evidence points towards Ford making this car until at minimum 2017. If you're going to have the cash in January then I don't see why you couldn't put in an order now. Even allocated stock orders aren't expected until February. Of course you need to find a dealer that doesn't want a significant deposit which could be hard.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would put in a retail order. IMO there are a lot of people on this board freaking out, thinking that this run is the only run ever, and all of the evidence points towards Ford making this car until at minimum 2017. If you're going to have the cash in January then I don't see why you couldn't put in an order now. Even allocated stock orders aren't expected until February. Of course you need to find a dealer that doesn't want a significant deposit which could be hard.
That's why I have to wait. Seems that the standard to plunk down is $1000. I'll need at least two paychecks to get caught up on bills and buy gifts for Christmas, and then have a little padding money before I can comfortably do that.

The 2017 window stickers popping up at auto shows point to a longer production run, but I'm not sure what process I'd need to get into in order to order one. One dealer told me they can't do any retail orders. Guess they didn't want to sell a car.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The deposit varies dealer to dealer. Personally, I was able to put the RS on reserve for $500.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm also hoping to get in on the next batch or try to find a dealer than can order one for me.... Boooo!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yeah deposits are really the dealers discretion. I ordered mine the day the order banks opened and I didn't have to leave a deposit. I would at least have the dealer place an order, nothing to lose since deposits are refundable and no one knows the production numbers or how many model years the RS will be in production for. I would use a credit card for the deposit in case the dealer decides to get shady with you though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
That's why I have to wait. Seems that the standard to plunk down is $1000. I'll need at least two paychecks to get caught up on bills and buy gifts for Christmas, and then have a little padding money before I can comfortably do that.

The 2017 window stickers popping up at auto shows point to a longer production run, but I'm not sure what process I'd need to get into in order to order one. One dealer told me they can't do any retail orders. Guess they didn't want to sell a car.
No offense, but if a $1000 deposit puts you tight on cash does it make sense to be purchasing a performance vehicle that starts at $36k USD and likely will have a performance maintenance schedule cost to match? As much as I love performance oriented cars I was not in the financial situation 6 years ago to purchase one and decided to hold off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
No offense, but if a $1000 deposit puts you tight on cash does it make sense to be purchasing a performance vehicle that starts at $36k USD and likely will have a performance maintenance schedule cost to match? As much as I love performance oriented cars I was not in the financial situation 6 years ago to purchase one and decided to hold off.
I just got a job that pays 60k a year which is on the low end of this industry, so yes, as long as insurance isn't 300/mo I'll be just fine with a mid 600 monthly payment. I was able to pay $1200/mo rent on a $30k/yr salary before. I'm damn good at budgeting.

The main issue is that I have a gap from old job with crappy pay/ new job with good pay and need to get "caught up" first.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just got a job that pays 60k a year which is on the low end of this industry, so yes, as long as insurance isn't 300/mo I'll be just fine with a mid 600 monthly payment. I was able to pay $1200/mo rent on a $30k/yr salary before. I'm damn good at budgeting.

The main issue is that I have had a gap from old job/ new job and need to get "caught up" first.
Fair enough, just wouldn't want to see someone in over their head :)

Don't forget to account for maintenance costs. A turbo/performance vehicle generally has a much more frequent schedule for replacement/tune up on components. I currently own a Lancer GTS (2.4L NA) and I've heard from the Ralliart/Evo guys that the maintenance can get pretty expensive with higher end brakes and other components.

See here for the schedule for those cars: http://mparts411.com/sites/default/files/pdf/2010_Maintenance_Schedule_Turbo.pdf

I imagine the RS will have a similar schedule/requirements based on the type of vehicle it is.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts

The main issue is that I have had a gap from old job with crappy pay/ new job with good pay and need to get "caught up" first.
Maybe you could provide some help to the guys in Washington, D.C. :eek::p

YMMV,

MidCow3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Fair enough, just wouldn't want to see someone in over their head :)

Don't forget to account for maintenance costs. A turbo/performance vehicle generally has a much more frequent schedule for replacement/tune up on components. I currently own a Lancer GTS (2.4L NA) and I've heard from the Ralliart/Evo guys that the maintenance can get pretty expensive with higher end brakes and other components.

See here for the schedule for those cars: http://mparts411.com/sites/default/files/pdf/2010_Maintenance_Schedule_Turbo.pdf

I imagine the RS will have a similar schedule/requirements based on the type of vehicle it is.
How quickly would a brand new car start having expensive maintenance costs though? As far as brakes (pads and rotors, lines), spark plugs, wires, coil packs, fluid changes (coolant, tranny, engine, brakes, clutch), I can do all that myself. Simple stuff really, but not having to send it to a mechanic/dealer will save me a good chunk in costs. The new thing for me will be turbo aspect, and the clutch driven axles. Everything else should be easy, except maybe the general lack of working room in the engine bay, but usually if I get stuck I make full use of awesome forums like these. I would also imagine there is some sort of dealer warranty/maint program for the first year-ish. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thankfully since the car is built in Germany, I would fully expect all of the bolts to be metric, which is a good thing for me and my tools :)

Maybe you could provide some help to the guys in Washington, D.C. :eek::p

YMMV,

MidCow3
LOL! So true! Well I'll just say my job is helping the government save some money. The rest is classified. :)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
How quickly would a brand new car start having expensive maintenance costs though? As far as brakes (pads and rotors, lines), spark plugs, wires, coil packs, fluid changes (coolant, tranny, engine, brakes, clutch), I can do all that myself. Simple stuff really, but not having to send it to a mechanic/dealer will save me a good chunk in costs. The new thing for me will be turbo aspect, and the clutch driven axles. Everything else should be easy, except maybe the general lack of working room in the engine bay, but usually if I get stuck I make full use of awesome forums like these. I would also imagine there is some sort of dealer warranty/maint program for the first year-ish. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thankfully since the car is built in Germany, I would fully expect all of the bolts to be metric, which is a good thing for me and my tools :)

LOL! So true! Well I'll just say my job is helping the government save some money. The rest is classified. :)
The only thing that will be more expensive on the RS (short term) will be the 5W-50 oil changes, (edit:)and tires if you keep the 19" wheels. Everything else you shouldn't need to worry about until the 5 year / 60K mile warranty is up and by then I assume you would be close to paying it off.

Ignore the people who are telling you "If X, then you shouldn't be buying an RS!" I've seen this statement pop up too many times when it's a stupid argument. There are always more factors than X when it comes to your decision to buy the car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The only thing that will be more expensive on the RS (short term) will be the 5W-50 oil changes. Everything else you shouldn't need to worry about until the 5 year / 60K mile warranty is up and by then I assume you would be close to paying it off.

Ignore the people who are telling you "If X, then you shouldn't be buying an RS!" I've seen this statement pop up too many times when it's a stupid argument. There are always more factors than X in a person's equation.
5w- FIFTY? Why such a heavy weight after it warms up???!? :confused: That's almost cold gear oil rating!

·
Registered
520 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yup, don't ask don't tell :p just know that it's what the manufacturer specifies and will guarantee warranty coverage!
Well the Mobil 1 page somewhat explains why it's used in this application.

Mobil™ 5W-50 oils are especially suited for a wide variety of motorsports application, towing and other extreme driving conditions.

We offer Mobil 1™ 5W-50 synthetic oil for use in high performance engines where conventional oils my not perform. This 5W-50 synthetic oil is suitable for use in many gasoline and diesel applications (without Diesel Particulate Filter), including turbo-charged and supercharged forced induction engines.

So basically, the 5w-50 is used for engines that are subject to extreme driving conditions. I would imagine that using a 5w-30 for standard open-road driving is fine, but if you're hitting the track, that weight of oil would be necessary. I'm sure it's been covered in the thread linked above :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
13 Participants
Blue Monday
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing