Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

by James Taylor, 21 January 2016

Vauxhall and parent company Opel will reveal a brand-new sports car concept called the GT at the 2016 Geneva motor show on 3 March.

Details of the show car are being kept tightly under wraps, limited so far to a solitary teaser photo of the car’s dual central exhaust outlets and GT logo. However, a new preview video featuring Opel and Vauxhall CEO Dr. Karl-Thomas Neumann (which you can watch above) has revealed much of the car’s headlights, grille treatment and front wheel design.

Elements of the car’s design as a whole are said to take inspiration from the 1966 Vauxhall XVR concept, shown at the Geneva motor show a neatly appropriate 50 years ago.

Hang on – why are the tyres bright red?

In Vauxhall’s words, the scarlet tyre ‘pays homage in an avant-garde way to the Motoclub 500, a futuristic Opel motorcycle from 1928 that wore red rubber.’ So there you go.

This isn’t the first Opel GT, is it?

Nope; the name was first applied to the pretty miniature coupe produced in the 1960s and ’70s, and resurfaced on the Pontiac Solstice-twinned, left-hand-drive-only GT Roadster in 2007.

With that in mind, don’t rule out a potential production future for the latest GT-badged concept. (Although most likely with boring old black tyres.)

‘You will see both Vauxhall and Opel with fresh eyes,’ says Dr. Neumann; point yours at this page on 3 March to see the GT Concept revealed in full.

Opel GT Concept to be revealed at Geneva 2016: Vauxhall?s sports car surprise by CAR Magazine

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a298989.jpg

UPDATE:

Under the bonnet sits a 1.0-litre three-cylinder turbo producing 143bhp. It’s based on the unit found in the current Corsa, and is tuned to develop 205Nm of torque. This is linked to a six-speed auto gearbox, directing power to the rear wheels. A sub-1,000kg kerbweight ensures the GT Concept can accelerate from 0-62mph in less than eight seconds and hit a top speed of 134mph.

Vauxhall GT Concept aims to make Geneva say wow! | Auto Express

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Well, I WAS excited about this car. It would have been nice to have a 1.5L three, but the biggest concern is the transmission, which is both not a manual AND not impressive for an automatic. A sub-2200lb curb weight is nice, but I'll have to wait until it looks less like a Hot Wheels car before I make any judgements on the styling because I'm not impressed with what I see.

·
Registered
558 Posts
It is not going to look anything like that of course if it ever sees production (not that it matters here as it'll never be seen on these shores).

Got to give Vauxhall kudos for actually putting a realistic windscreen on the concept, not the typical bat**** gunslit you normally see.

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That red front tire and stripe down the sides has me scratching my head?????

1 - 9 of 9 Posts