Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't help but feel this way. Seems that everyone is going for the forged wheel option. They do look good, but initially I thought the regular, non-forged option looked slightly better, and I could save ~$1400. Yeah, I know, 2 lbs per wheel, less rotating mass, but I really like the way the non-forged wheel options looks, and they will probably be replaced at some point with aftermarket wheels (lighter) with summer only tires (while the stock ones will probably get winter tires after the Super Sports wear out). Anyone else feel this way?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I don't like the look of the forged wheels at all and really prefer the standard ones. I'll likely never drive the car to its limits so I don't think il ever notice the real benefits of lighter wheels and it allowed me to spring for the winter wheel package

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Can't help but feel this way. Seems that everyone is going for the forged wheel option. They do look good, but initially I thought the regular, non-forged option looked slightly better, and I could save ~$1400. Yeah, I know, 2 lbs per wheel, less rotating mass, but I really like the way the non-forged wheel options looks, and they will probably be replaced at some point with aftermarket wheels (lighter) with summer only tires (while the stock ones will probably get winter tires after the Super Sports wear out). Anyone else feel this way?
I really like the look of the forged wheels, but I'm certain I can get a lighter set of after market wheels for less than $1400. A savings of two pounds for a set of forged wheels isn't all that impressive in my opinion. Also, I want to down size to an 18" rim to help with ride quality and to try and prevent damage caused by our really ****ty roads here in MI.

I figure I can sell the stock wheels and tires for $1000 - $1500, save $1400 on the forged rims and have $2400 - $2900 to spend on an 18" set. For me this makes even more sense because I already own a set of 18" PSS that are on my ST. I can swap a random set of all seasons that I ALSO just happen to have lying around when I go to sell it.

I'm thinking about going with these partially forged rims from TSW...
Bathurst Alloy Wheels by TSW

·
Registered
471 Posts
No forged wheels here, I also prefer the look of the regular wheels compared to the forged wheels. No offense to all you who got the forged wheels, but I'd rather choose from the thousands of aftermarket wheels to give the car some uniqueness. I will use the default wheels for winter tires when the regular tires are done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm also with you, I went for the stock wheels. Saw the forged in person, like the stock a little better and didnt have to pay anything extra.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I went with the forged wheels since I don't want to have to clean the stock wheels (too many spokes). :)
This is worth noting. Also, in winter time the stock wheels are going to collect SOOOOO much snow. My old Focus SES wheels were very similar and I had to stop into the car wash occasionally to blow the snow out of them because they were shaking the car apart.

SES wheels for reference:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is worth noting. Also, in winter time the stock wheels are going to collect SOOOOO much snow. My old Focus SES wheels were very similar and I had to stop into the car wash occasionally to blow the snow out of them because they were shaking the car apart.

SES wheels for reference:

Very good point, didn't really think about that. Luckily I have the ability to work from home, so snow days should be WFH days. =)

·
Registered
471 Posts
I don't have snow where I live so not a problem for me. I'm an hour south of Lake Tahoe California so I will occasionally take it up there to shred some parking lots in the snow. Lake tahoe has tons of mountains w/ snow the winter olympics of 1960 were held here.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I ordered the forged wheels and the winter rims and tires. When I went to Edmonds.com the build configurator would not allow me to get both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
742 Posts
The forged wheels are ugly, imo. Don't like the black on black look either. I've always managed to find a nice light set of wheels that tickled my fancy, So I'll probably store the stockers in the attic

·
Registered
471 Posts
I ordered the forged wheels and the winter rims and tires. When I went to Edmonds.com the build configurator would not allow me to get both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didnt see a winter wheel and tire package on the Ford configuration wesbite for the Focus RS. Where do you see this?

·
Registered
898 Posts
I don't like the look of black rims which are mostly found on racing cars. They make the wheel disappear, and then the car looks more narrow and taller. Spoked rims, found mainly on luxury cars like Astons, add to the girth of the car and make it look more stout and squatty.

Besides, a 2 lbs weight savings on a ~24 lbs wheel doesn't get me excited when the gunmetal 18" TSW Nurburgrings weigh 19.5 lbs each.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I don't like the look of the forged wheels at all and really prefer the standard ones. I'll likely never drive the car to its limits so I don't think il ever notice the real benefits of lighter wheels and it allowed me to spring for the winter wheel package
Same here

·
Registered
457 Posts
Being that I ordered the FW color, I went with forged rims for the black color accent against the white body.

I didn't like the look of the standard rims on the FW.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The forged wheels are ugly, imo. Don't like the black on black look either. I've always managed to find a nice light set of wheels that tickled my fancy, So I'll probably store the stockers in the attic
Agreed! The forged wheels look awful and "boy-racer" like (imo). What little performance benefit people will get with them is not worth the $.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts