Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, I have driven some in Europe and love the adaptive lights on some of the cars I've driven. Now that adaptive lights are finally legal in the US I would really love to add this to my 2016 RS. I know there are several parts to this, but would like to start working on a list of parts and possible BCM or other module tweaks needed to get full Euro spec adaptive lights.

First concern is the visual sensor, is this sensor located on the windshield where 2016 has that empty sensor location under the rear view mirror? I'm hoping so as that would finally make that extra plastic on the 2016 worth having.

As we know US Ford will be of no real help on this, would be great if we got some unofficial support from a Ford tech in EU for information. P/Ns of the Euro parts would also be a good starting point, maybe, just maybe, some parts were used in some other US model car for some similar feature like the adaptive cruise or emergency braking systems.

My 2016 electrical manual does include information about the Euro wiring as well, so I'm not starting from no information.

Expected parts list:
  • Euro headlights
  • Ride height sensors (front and rear) and related harness.
  • Optical sensor and related harness. (This appears to be integrated in the IPM-A)
  • European windshield (maybe we can had the electric defroster too while at it)
    • Or will need to find a way to mount the sensor to US windshield at proper location. Oddly this may be easier on the 2017/2018 that don't have that black bar from the top of the glass to below the rear view mirror. I guess I need size and which of the 2 or 3 openings this sensor is located in on the EU windshield.
  • IPM-A (maybe F1FT-19H406-AD) and related harness
Configuration updates:
  • Body Control Module (BCM)?
  • Headlight Control Module (HCM)?

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
From the downloaded Service Manual that I got before I got the manuals from Ford I see this.

Automatic High Beams

The automatic high beam system uses an interior rear view mirror mounted camera to monitor surrounding traffic conditions and high beam usage. The camera is hardwired to the IPMA and serviced with the interior rear view mirror assembly. The IPMA communicates light information over the HS-CAN to the BCM.

The automatic high beam feature is active only when the headlamp switch is in the AUTOLAMPS position.

During nighttime driving, the automatic high beam system automatically turns the high beams on if it is dark enough and no other traffic is present. When the system detects an approaching vehicle's headlamps or a preceding vehicle's rear lamps, the system turns off the high beams. When the approaching vehicle's headlamps or the preceding vehicle's rear lamps are no longer detected, the high beams automatically turn back on

·
Registered
942 Posts
OK, I have driven some in Europe and love the adaptive lights on some of the cars I've driven. Now that adaptive lights are finally legal in the US I would really love to add this to my 2016 RS. I know there are several parts to this, but would like to start working on a list of parts and possible BCM or other module tweaks needed to get full Euro spec adaptive lights.

First concern is the visual sensor, is this sensor located on the windshield where 2016 has that empty sensor location under the rear view mirror? I'm hoping so as that would finally make that extra plastic on the 2016 worth having.

As we know US Ford will be of no real help on this, would be great if we got some unofficial support from a Ford tech in EU for information. P/Ns of the Euro parts would also be a good starting point, maybe, just maybe, some parts were used in some other US model car for some similar feature like the adaptive cruise or emergency braking systems.

My 2016 electrical manual does include information about the Euro wiring as well, so I'm not starting from no information.

Expected parts list:
  • Euro headlights
  • Ride height sensors (front and rear) and related harness.
  • Optical sensor and related harness.
  • Was there any additional image processing modules for this?
Configuration updates:
  • Body Control Module (BCM)?
  • Headlight Control Module (HCM)?
I approve this message

• Haha
Reactions: nicklulu

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
Isn't it similar to the Aus lighting as well?

IIRC there are also the headlight leveling hardware?

This is one of the thing I missed on my Evo. My nephew has the leveling on his MazdaSpeed 6

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Auto high beam is old, even in the US, was an option for my 67 Lincoln had and has been legal as long as it was just low/high switch. I'm talking about the more advance adaptive light that can leave the high beam aimed to the right side of the road while dimming the area of the on coming traffic, if there is a very reflective sign on the road side it can reduce the light aimed at it to prevent reflected glare, or adjust the light beam angle based on the load in the car, say I have a load in the back, with the US default lights my low beams are now aimed higher than intended with no way to adjust it down. For well decades in Europe they have had manual or auto leveling systems that you could use to adjust the angle of the light beams.

At some point in the US cornering lights were added, my grandmother's Olds had this in the late 80s or early 90s, but that was just a light on the front side of the car that turned on with the turn signal. At some point the "US adaptive" lights that turn left and right were allowed, but they still had to keep the same old simple low/high cutoffs.

This is a video from BWM, I recall seeing a similar one from Ford Europe in 2015 or 2016.

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
OK, just found a possible part number for the IPM-A... F1FT-19H406-AD and the shape of that is different than the 2016 windshield supports. So, windshield is now on the parts list too. Not sure if any other US car has a windshield that fits the RS and has the right sensor mounting location for the IPM-A. Needing the windshield is likely to make this not an options, getting modules and headlights from Europe are rather easy, but glass, and the work to install said glass is a whole different level of work and extra cost to revert to OE US spec if needed later on.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
About £500.00 per headlight assembly (complete with ballast, bulbs, wiring)

About 90 for the leveling sensor

Haven't found anything about the windshield sensors, not to mention programming the BCM

·
Registered
27 Posts
Apparently the new Porsche ones are badass, 84 individual leds per headlight. It's not high or low beam but rather it dims and moves as an oncoming car comes at you or leaves a dim hole in the middle if you are following someone and constantly adjusts. Our antiquated vehicle code says there has to be separate low and high beams so these systems aren't legal yet.

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
About £500.00 per headlight assembly (complete with ballast, bulbs, wiring)

About 90 for the leveling sensor

Haven't found anything about the windshield sensors, not to mention programming the BCM
Odd. on that level sensor the title list 2016-2018, but in the details it's listing the mk2 Focus, not mk3 or mk3.5.

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Apparently the new Porsche ones are badass, 84 individual leds per headlight. It's not high or low beam but rather it dims and moves as an oncoming car comes at you or leaves a dim hole in the middle if you are following someone and constantly adjusts. Our antiquated vehicle code says there has to be separate low and high beams so these systems aren't legal yet.
Audi's is the best I've seen so far, but it's almost over kill really with their LED matrix lights. I think they are using mirrors (think of DLP projector tech) with count close to or more than a million if the ads are right to control the light output.

(includes Audi lighting info)

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Odd. on that level sensor the title list 2016-2018, but in the details it's listing the mk2 Focus, not mk3 or mk3.5.
Here's an identical looking part that lists both the mk2 cmax and mk3 Focus.

Also users at focusrsoc.com mention that you need 2 sensors, one on the front and one at the rear.

Edit: I don't think we need any of the tech behind the rear view mirror. It looks like that's part of the "city-stop" auto-brake system and automatic wipers. I'm sure there's more to it, but I'm only finding info on the two sensors and nothing else.

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Edit: I don't think we need any of the tech behind the rear view mirror. It looks like that's part of the "city-stop" auto-brake system and automatic wipers. I'm sure there's more to it, but I'm only finding info on the two sensors and nothing else.
My understanding is the IPM-A (the tech behind the rear view mirror) provides data for both the headlight control and city-stop.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
My understanding is the IPM-A (the tech behind the rear view mirror) provides data for both the headlight control and city-stop.
Both the Forscan forum and fordownersclub.com forum brought up part F1FT-19 H406-AH, which is the sign recognition, city-stop, and lane departure camera.

The rain and light sensor are one piece, so we might be able to use the US version unless they removed the light sensing part for some reason. Someone else will have to continue the chase for parts.

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is interesting info from a RHD mk3.5 Focus ST3, looks like the lights support right or left side driving regardless of with side you drive from using the menus on the dash.

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Both the Forscan forum and fordownersclub.com forum brought up part F1FT-19 H406-AH, which is the sign recognition, city-stop, and lane departure camera.

The rain and light sensor are one piece, so we might be able to use the US version unless they removed the light sensing part for some reason. Someone else will have to continue the chase for parts.
Unless Ford has more than one IPM-A unit... Maybe that is a simpler light controller for just turning the lights on and off that replaces the sunload sensor on the dash? If it is for high/low beam control it would likely be just the simple high/low that US regulations had us limited to for decades. I think the smart beam tech needs the IPM-A, and while that may be used for auto city braking as I read what I've found so far it implies it's used for the multi-form beam support.
Product Rectangle Font Material property Parallel

·
Registered
269 Posts
I just wish this was a standard over here for the pickups...and the clueless people that drive around with their brights on.
I flash most of them and they still don't turn them off, they're not clueless, they're just inconsiderate assholes. And yes you gotta love pickups, because the first thing those guys do to their big 'ol truck is head on down to AutoZone and buy the brightest bulbs they sell, yeah 'merica!

(Edited for better context lol)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts