Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
I see that you are located in the states. If you are looking for an API SP engine oil in the required weight that also meets Ford’s wss-m2c-931-c, why not just go with Amsoil 5w-50? I would check with Amsoil, but on page 4 (applications section) of the following link, they seem to imply they have a product which meets both those specs:

There’s also this:
I hear ya, but I wouldn't buy Amsoil if it was the last oil on the planet. Personal reasons. Anyway, the RS does NOT "need" 5w50 oils unless you're tracking it and running WOT for long periods. Same as the other Fords with 5w50 recommended. A 5w30 will provide more than enough viscosity for any engine other than at sustained high rpm high load track use. The more "viscosity modifiers" in any oil is bad news unless the oil is replaced at very short intervals. They thicken up with temperature and as they wear out, they clump together and result in a thick sludge instead of a flowing lubricant. The (any) engine should run the lightest viscosity possible and still provide the film strength needed. It will last longer along with the engine.

There's always much debate on oils due to marketing hype and "that" guy, so I do WTF I want and monitor my results over time. An occasional UOA will tell the tale quite accurately.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi guys, I know that there are many threads about what oil to use but I need some personal advise for my oil on my 2017 RS.

I will pick up my RS next week.

I want an ''anti LSPI'' oil, which dramatically lowers the chance of LSPI occurance which would end in a crack in the block.

Also flooring the pedal in lower revs (max 3000RPM?) would be a no go for me.

I'm also planning on not modifying the car, except for an turbo back exhaust, K&N air filter and Turbosmart BOV.

I just want your advise on what oil to use, I'm a Dutch guy so I live in Europe so not all oils will be available for me (eg Motorcraft, Redline, Amsoil).

The RS recently had an oil service from the previous owner and they used MPM oil 0W40 high performance street, is this also a good oil to prevent LSPI?

·
Registered
6 Posts
When in doubt, ALWAYS use what the manufacture recommends. I this case it is Motocraft 5W50 (actually made by Castrol). It only comes in 1 quart bottles and I bought a case of it from Amazon.
I have a '17 RS. recommendation is do not deviate.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
When in doubt, ALWAYS use what the manufacture recommends. I this case it is Motocraft 5W50 (actually made by Castrol). It only comes in 1 quart bottles and I bought a case of it from Amazon.
I have a '17 RS. recommendation is do not deviate.
Yeah, ignorance is pure bliss. Just do as your told and the gov't will take care of you...

Reactions: morbid

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Hi guys, I know that there are many threads about what oil to use but I need some personal advise for my oil on my 2017 RS.

I will pick up my RS next week.

I want an ''anti LSPI'' oil, which dramatically lowers the chance of LSPI occurance which would end in a crack in the block.

Also flooring the pedal in lower revs (max 3000RPM?) would be a no go for me.

I'm also planning on not modifying the car, except for an turbo back exhaust, K&N air filter and Turbosmart BOV.

I just want your advise on what oil to use, I'm a Dutch guy so I live in Europe so not all oils will be available for me (eg Motorcraft, Redline, Amsoil).

The RS recently had an oil service from the previous owner and they used MPM oil 0W40 high performance street, is this also a good oil to prevent LSPI?
I've only used Motorcraft (3x oil changes) or Amsoil (1x oil change). I would recommend one of those. Both 5w50. USDM however.

·
Registered
115 Posts
😂. What is it about oil threads.

Ford Performance specs 5w50 “heavy duty” oil for the Focus RS and GT350, and yet 5w30for the Raptor. We do not know why, but I assume the engineers had their reasons so worth following the recommendations unless you have an unusual use for your car. With all the new learnings about LSPI, I think it’s a pretty good idea for most folks to use Motorcraft as we know it has been specifically designed for it.

My next fill will be Driven’s anti-LSPI 15w50 (since they don’t have 5w50). My car is tuned, flex fuel and lives in the tropics, and Driven seems to be very engaged in this topic...so not normal.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts