Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I know that there are many threads about what oil to use but I need some personal advise for my oil on my 2017 RS.

I will pick up my RS next week.

I want an ''anti LSPI'' oil, which dramatically lowers the chance of LSPI occurance which would end in a crack in the block.

Also flooring the pedal in lower revs (max 3000RPM?) would be a no go for me.

I'm also planning on not modifying the car, except for an turbo back exhaust, K&N air filter and Turbosmart BOV.

I just want your advise on what oil to use, I'm a Dutch guy so I live in Europe so not all oils will be available for me (eg Motorcraft, Redline, Amsoil).

The RS recently had an oil service from the previous owner and they used MPM oil 0W40 high performance street, is this also a good oil to prevent LSPI?

·
Premium Member
5,848 Posts

You being in the Europe, from what I read most people in that side of the pond they go for:

• Motorcraft
  • Castrol
  • Rotella

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

You being in the Europe, from what I read most people in that side of the pond they go for:

• Motorcraft
  • Castrol
  • Rotella
5W50 or 0W40?

·
Premium Member
5,848 Posts
I would stay with OE viscosity.... unless its freezing old.

NOTE: UK spec is 0w-40

·
Registered
939 Posts
Can’t help you I run only amsoil 5w50.
I wouldn’t worry to much about lspi especially if you not gonna run it below 3k wide open. It’s usually below 2k more around anything under 1500rpm.

·
Premium Member
1,712 Posts
I would stay with OE viscosity.... unless its freezing old.

NOTE: UK spec is 0w-40
Why are the spec.s different?
Same motors, yes,no?
Same for tire press.
Is this a political thing? EPA vs there, whom so ever?
By now (I’m going out on a limb here) I would think most all major oil mfg. hold ratings tor turbo (injected) cars.

·
Premium Member
5,848 Posts
Same motors, yes,no?
Same for tire press.
Is this a political thing? EPA vs there, whom so ever?
By now (I’m going out on a limb here) I would think most all major oil mfg. hold ratings tor turbo (injected) cars.
It doesn't get as hot there? It's colder there?

Humidity?

Not too sure of any other factors why.

Reactions: GmpaJimj

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Spec in Europe is 0w-40 not just in UK.
Mine is not from the UK and they have always added 0W-40 unless I brought them the 5w-50 from the Ford GT.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
I recommend the newest GF-6B oils rated "SP" by the API and in the 5w30 or 0w30 viscosity if available. The 0w40 is good as well IF you can find it in the API "SP" rating. The SP oils are formulated to remove the #1 LSPI contributor, Calcium used as a detergent, and are not made in all the previous grades.

I've switched to SP oils and run 5w30 and add 1/2 bottle of Redline additive as friction reducer. Engine Oil Break-In Additive

·
Registered
266 Posts
I recommend the newest GF-6B oils rated "SP" by the API and in the 5w30 or 0w30 viscosity if available. The 0w40 is good as well IF you can find it in the API "SP" rating. The SP oils are formulated to remove the #1 LSPI contributor, Calcium used as a detergent, and are not made in all the previous grades.

I've switched to SP oils and run 5w30 and add 1/2 bottle of Redline additive as friction reducer. Engine Oil Break-In Additive
Base stock quality and base oil blends used as well as anti oxidants and anti friction modifiers also play a big role in LSPI the down side is the trade off in performance of an oil when changing these out. Fuel also plays a role, modern fuels are blended to meet certain requirements and those requirements use additives that can lead to LSPI under compression. Extensive testing in laboratory analysis is showing that the chemical blends made with cheaper additive packages that most oil manufacturers uses contain additives that lead to LSPI.

now you can help counter LSPI by running a slightly thicker oil and more friction modifier but again there is a trade off in performance of other chemicals in the blend.

I run motul ester sport 5w-40 in my engine with friction modifier package I make at work, I also run shell 93 v power. I have not had any issues with LSPI.

Reactions: GmpaJimj

·
Registered
110 Posts
Australia also uses 0w40 like the UK/Europe.
I don’t believe it’s to do with the climate. Europe gets just as cold as parts of the states. Summer temperatures of 45 degC (113 deg F) are common in Australia. We also get high humidity conditions in Queensland and the Northern Territory.

I think the main reason why the US gets the 5w50 instead of the 0w40 is because Motorcraft (Ford’s US rep for spares/fluids) doesn’t offer a fully synthetic 0w40. Closest they have is 5w50.

0w40 is easier to pump around then 5w50 and therefore has reduced fuel consumption and hence less emissions. According to Mobil, 0w40 is common in Europe but “gaining popularity” in the states.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I like my warranty so I will use what Ford recommends.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
When will your warranty expire? Mine will be end of DEC this year..
I got a 2017 model and I got 5 years from Saarlouis and 2 years from my dealer. So in a few years :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
I use Mobil 1 Racing 0w50, I think it’s the best of both worlds (between 0w40 and 5w50) with FL-400S filter and some experiments with LiquiMoly additives. I currently change oil every 5,000km / 3,000mi max, sooner if I plan to autocross or track the car.

·
Super Moderator
16,844 Posts
Not to be THAT guy, but what does your owner's manual say? (Along with the RS supplement) Look at the specs from it and if you abide by that and you have issues you have proof for any issues you may incur. Euro and US Specs differ.

·
Registered
110 Posts

I see that you are located in the states. If you are looking for an API SP engine oil in the required weight that also meets Ford’s wss-m2c-931-c, why not just go with Amsoil 5w-50? I would check with Amsoil, but on page 4 (applications section) of the following link, they seem to imply they have a product which meets both those specs:

There’s also this:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts