Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I had both problems, leaking head gasket/timing cover gasket and PU leak.

I assumed it was the turbo line fitting but after several tries by dealer it was determined to be head gasket sealing issue....redid head gasket. A year later started seeing another leak near cv boot. Dealert identified a leaking PU gasket, replaced....no further leaking.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
You didn't take it back to be fixed properly?
(Should I say attempted to be fixed properly)
Once...I know my bad...but I really didn't want them tearing into the engine again....So she "bleeds" a little...(poor choice of words)...But the heart is still beating strong...no notably increase in oil consumption...I just decided to live with it...

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Once...I know my bad...but I really didn't want them tearing into the engine again....So she "bleeds" a little...(poor choice of words)...But the heart is still beating strong...no notably increase in oil consumption...I just decided to live with it...
Me too...

·
Registered
767 Posts
The leak is likely from the front of the gasket nearest the timing chain cover. This is a known, very common issue.

My tech put a fix in for this he devised when he built my engine. The fix was a modification of the headgasket to widen it and allow a small seal to be seated in the gasket when clamping, sealing the suspect oil passage. He has checked mine post 3000kms since it went in and there is no leak. He noted this same leak on my stock engine and several other RS’s he has worked on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
I noticed some oil seepage around my cps sensor and beneath the axle shaft... seems like it’s coming from up above. The dealership says they see nothing. Where can I direct them to take a closer look? When oil is usually found in this area does it usually suggest the turbo return line is leaking?

100% banjo bolt could be leaking. Replaced mine today actually. Wasn’t enough oil coming out to cause a drip though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I noticed some oil seepage around my cps sensor and beneath the axle shaft... seems like it’s coming from up above. The dealership says they see nothing. Where can I direct them to take a closer look? When oil is usually found in this area does it usually suggest the turbo return line is leaking?

Ask them to throw some dye in the oil also

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The dealer has agreed to replace the timing cover gasket. So crossing my fingers that will fix it!

·
Registered
767 Posts
The dealer has agreed to replace the timing cover gasket. So crossing my fingers that will fix it!

Sorry mate but I don’t think it will. The new gasket will leak for the reason I outlined. I hope I am wrong but don’t think I will be.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
The timing cover doesn't have a gasket! Its RTV.
And as above, that won't stop it, the head had to come off for it to be fixed properly. Fords fix is to add 2 dabs of RTV to the top surface of the head gasket.
Warriormonxs fix is an even better way to ensure its fixed for good!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Mine's out of warranty and my shop noticed a leak from a banjo bolt right above the axle. They replaced a crush washer that was miss aligned with a new one and it leaked worse. They had to take the axle off to get clear access. I'm awaiting update.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Out of warranty? Why not open the whole car for that banjo?
It is the first time I hear that they had to remove the axles for the banjo bolt.
Swapping the tube is a 30 minute job tops.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Strange thing with mine. Dealer replaced oil feed line twice. Amazingly after second replacement no further oil leak/seepage.

Chatted with my service guy about the HG leaks of which they have repaired a few. He reckons if the block and head surfaces are not level, nothing will permanently fix that oil leak without machining.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Strange thing with mine. Dealer replaced oil feed line twice. Amazingly after second replacement no further oil leak/seepage.

Chatted with my service guy about the HG leaks of which they have repaired a few. He reckons if the block and head surfaces are not level, nothing will permanently fix that oil leak without machining.
That’s fundamentally true with any engine. Ideally you have to check both the surface deck and head for warpage.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts