Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed some oil seepage around my cps sensor and beneath the axle shaft... seems like it’s coming from up above. The dealership says they see nothing. Where can I direct them to take a closer look? When oil is usually found in this area does it usually suggest the turbo return line is leaking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
have you checked the banjo on the turbo return line?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was about to start the same thread! I noticed this in the same area, and after laying under my car for days, I have narrowed it down to the line coming out of the bottom of the turbo leading to the block. I’m not sure if it is the clamp, the brass nut or the two bolts holding it to the block that need attention, but either way I’m having a ridiculous time trying to do it myself

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got a message from the service advisor per his words:

“Yes seepage was from timing cover area. Cleaned off. Seepage is normal and does not call for repairs, no actual leaks.”

This to me sounds like What a lot of people experienced when the head gasket recall was performed. Weren’t the technician not using our RTV in the beginning and then later was advised in a TSB to do so?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Have either of you read the numerous threads about this?
It has nothing to do with the turbo feed line or return, as mentioned above, its from the head gasket area, where a revised procedure has been put out and possibly timing cover seal.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
If you get under the car with a torch and look up past the banjo bolt, you can see the corner of the head, which in MOST cases is where the leak stems from, and as you can see in my photo,that's where the leak starts, it drips down and ends up on the banjo bolt, and the return line and everywhere else below that area, which is how these complete d1ckheads at Ford, come to the conclusion that is where it starts!
Clearly oil does not travel upwards....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have either of you read the numerous threads about this?
It has nothing to do with the turbo feed line or return, as mentioned above, its from the head gasket area, where a revised procedure has been put out and possibly timing cover seal.
Is this something Ford is fixing like they did with the head gasket?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
They did on mine, covered by warranty.
You have to push them, and go through all the other bullshi7 fixes they suggest, before they finally give in and fix the actual problem.
All of this is covered in the other threads also.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They did on mine, covered by warranty.
You have to push them, and go through all the other bullshi7 fixes they suggest, before they finally give in and fix the actual problem.
All of this is covered in the other threads also.
I did a quick search on my phone and couldn’t find much but I do recall reading the threads on this.

I’m assuming the fix was replacing the head gasket again and using RTV where specified?

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
I was about to start the same thread! I noticed this in the same area, and after laying under my car for days, I have narrowed it down to the line coming out of the bottom of the turbo leading to the block. I’m not sure if it is the clamp, the brass nut or the two bolts holding it to the block that need attention, but either way I’m having a ridiculous time trying to do it myself View attachment 345928

Just curious on the oil feed line on this, I hope that's not the dealership's replacement.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Good luck OP..My girl has been leaking since the Mustang Gasket recall...Dealer said it was residual from the gasket swap. Some 35K plus miles later and there is still a leak....oh well...

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Good luck OP..My girl has been leaking since the Mustang Gasket recall...Dealer said it was residual from the gasket swap. Some 35K plus miles later and there is still a leak....oh well...
You didn't take it back to be fixed properly?
(Should I say attempted to be fixed properly)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From what I am gathering that this is most likely coming from the timing cover. The dealership seems only to be concerned if it’s a “leak” vs “seepage”, but we all know how leaks begin.

Imagine telling customers of high line vehicles like Mercedes Benz or Porsche that’s seepage is acceptable.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
From what I am gathering that this is most likely coming from the timing cover. The dealership seems only to be concerned if it’s a “leak” vs “seepage”, but we all know how leaks begin.

Imagine telling customers of high line vehicles like Mercedes Benz or Porsche that’s seepage is acceptable.

It should not be acceptable!

Whether it's a Kia or a Bugatti.

Reactions: jefferysanders

·
Registered
464 Posts
How much oil are you actually loosing from the "seepage"? If it were myself I would just monitor it rather then have the techs open up the engine and possibly cause more issues.

It would bug the hell out of me to know my car isn't mechanically perfect but it would bother me even more having the engine taken apart only to have more resulting issues later on.

I've heard plenty of similar stories here where a small weep ended up turning into a nightmare after the car was brought into the dealership for repair.

Now if you can find a dealership who is extremely familiar with the RS and has done dozens of head gasket fixes, successfully, then proceed with confidence. If not, steer clear. IMO anyways....

Reactions: crepr12

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I was torn between that also^

But I didn't pay 55k to have a car that leaks oil after approx 2000ks so it was going back as many times as it took to have it fixed PROPERLY. I even got Ford HQ involved to guarantee it would not be done half ar5ed.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Since they replaced my banjo bolt and turbo return line, my leaks have vanished.
I was at the Ring on Monday and did a few laps.
Then I drove home on the Autobahn and for those tiny periods of time without a speed limit or damn road works I pushed my car to top speed.

I will admit that I am afraid to look under my car now.
Gonna hide my Endoscope so I am not tempted to check all the small crevices.

A rather crappy feeling as an owner especially that I am doing some changes to the car and will have a 4 hour dyno session on Friday Morning.

It might break down on the dyno and spill oil everywhere haha.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts