Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I discovered an issue with my RS appearing to be leaking from a banjo bolt on the passenger side (US) and when I took it into my local dealership they said that it “isn’t an issue until you see a drip” can someone on here explain this logic to me?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Common issue after HG repair. It's not the banjo bolt, it's higher up and requires them to redo a large portion of the HG job again to fix. There are a ton of threads on this.

Reactions: GmpaJimj and JamoRS

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
The logic? Fairly obvious. If your kitchen sink tap is leaking 1 drop per week is it worth calling a plumber to fix it? Same logic. Plenty of info here on this over a period of years if you bother to do a search.

Ciao

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
The logic? Fairly obvious. If your kitchen sink tap is leaking 1 drop per week is it worth calling a plumber to fix it? Same logic. Plenty of info here on this over a period of years if you bother to do a search.

Ciao
im having to top up about half a quart every oil change cycle. but im just gonna have it sorted when i forge the motor with mountune next year

·
Registered
1,051 Posts

Ciao
Imagine this. Your kitchen tap leaks 1 drop per week when closed. Great but every time you use it at a specific opening, the drops increase.
This is the case with many RS vehicles out there. My RS did not leak much if I drove it in town not exceeding 2500 rpm.
As soon as I take it on the highway/autobahn and exceed 3500 rpm, the vehicle will leak more and more.
I did not buy this vehicle to drive it under 2500 rpm.

There are things you can accept and things you should not.
Our cars were not leaking before the FSA.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Mine never had an FSA or anyone touch it for repairs, and mine leaked from day one.
Until it was fixed properly on the 4th attempt.
It was just shi7 machine work and assembly from the factory that caused my leak, not dodgy repairs as most have encountered.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Imagine this. Your kitchen tap leaks 1 drop per week when closed. Great but every time you use it at a specific opening, the drops increase.
This is the case with many RS vehicles out there. My RS did not leak much if I drove it in town not exceeding 2500 rpm.
As soon as I take it on the highway/autobahn and exceed 3500 rpm, the vehicle will leak more and more.
I did not buy this vehicle to drive it under 2500 rpm.

There are things you can accept and things you should not.
Our cars were not leaking before the FSA.
The question wasn't about whether or not you eventually get the leak fixed it was a question about the "logic" used by the workshop with regard to the timing of a repair. If in my professional career as a certifying aircraft engineer if I grounded every jet for every tiny oil leak then nobody would have gotten anywhere. Doesn't mean the leaks weren't eventually fixed though. Some leaks never get worse and aren't worth the hassle of fixing either. My car has had one of these head gasket seeps from new on the front face of the block at the head gasket joint adjacent to the oil drain back gallery in the head and it came with the updated gasket, and guess what, it's not worth fixing as its too minor.
Good engineers know when its worth worrying about and if it is at what point it needs rectification.

Ciao

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
The question wasn't about whether or not you eventually get the leak fixed it was a question about the "logic" used by the workshop with regard to the timing of a repair. If in my professional career as a certifying aircraft engineer I grounded every jet for every tiny oil leak then nobody would have gotten anywhere. Doesn't mean the leaks weren't eventually fixed though. Some leaks never get worse and aren't worth the hassle of fixing either. My car has had one of these head gasket seeps from new on the front face of the block at the head gasket joint adjacent to the oil drain back gallery in the head and it came with the updated gasket, and guess what, it's not worth fixing as its too minor.
Good engineers know when its worth worrying about and if it is at what point it needs rectification.

Ciao
I understand where you come from, I do.
I grew up in a family of aero engineers and air traffic controllers.
My father worked for ICAO and now for Eurocontrol. Two highly prominent organizations in aviation.
The only reason I open the engine ? If I want to sell the car, I cannot. Anyone who buys it can sue me for not selling a working vehicle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts