Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, yesterday i was inspecting my car from under for the first time (now around 38k miles) and i notice this oil leak... i don't know where the leak is but it looks like its from under not from the head, so i took some multiple photo to you guys maybe you know better than me where this oil leak at.... and should i be worried or not? Because i check my oil level every week and no oil level drop !

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I do not want to be the one bearing bad news in the New Year.
You got oil on the banjo bolt that usually means one thing.

Reactions: GmpaJimj

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
This forum has proved many times, you have 3 options.
1. Haggle with Ford to get it fixed
2. Ignore it
3. Sell the car
I’m option #2.

Man, I admire your brevity.
To the point as always.
Sounds to me like you are a Jedi Master :).

·
Registered
Ford Focus RS White
101 Posts
Head gasket, if you have change head gasket, for recall in the year 2017 , you have this issue, after in 2018 Ford have change procedure, two drop of sealant 8mm diameter in two point of the head

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I
2. Ignore it
3. Sell the car
I’m option #2.
I could ignore it if it will not make a big issues in the future.... #mine was imported from US so in the(ME) they dont know anything about focus rs so im hoping it is a tiny issue that will not cost me a l

And yea when i need a part i have to order it :p

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Head gasket, if you have change head gasket, for recall in the year 2017 , you have this issue, after in 2018 Ford have change procedure, two drop of sealant 8mm diameter in two point of the head
I asked this question yo previous owner and he said he had the car for a recall for the head gasget so idk what should i do

I will keep and eye for the oil levels, if it is dropping than this is serious issue that i have to get it to shop and order the part :(

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
The engine needs a major intervention to have that fixed.
Some of us, including myself, opened the engine 4 times because the leak kept coming back.
You need to find yourself a decent shop willing to do the extra mile to fix it.
There isn't enough space in the engine bay so many mechanics don't care.

The two drop of sealant 8mm in two points of the head is not a guaranteed fix.
It is just one step out of many.
You need to ask yourself what you want.
Just because you do not see big changes in the dipstick it does not mean you will not later on.
Given the amount of oil it leaked, you haven't checked the engine properly in a while.
If you want tips on how to get it fixed, head into the headgasket thread on the forums.

You need many parts to make this work properly.

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
I

I could ignore it if it will not make a big issues in the future.... #mine was imported from US so in the(ME) they dont know anything about focus rs so im hoping it is a tiny issue that will not cost me a l

And yea when i need a part i have to order it :p
So you have the gasket recall done. As @SCR1RS said. Yours was done before Ford discovered the need for an additional 2 spots of sealant.
So far this leak is annoying, makes you uncomfortable, but theres no indication it will lead to a future failure, yet.
It’s one of those things that depends on the owners comfort level.
If you don’t have access to service that is familiar with the RS I would leave it alone.
You run the risk of more harm than cure.
I can’t claim to be an expert, but have watched this situation closely, as I said mine leaks too.
"I'm getting my head gasket fixed" MEGATHREAD

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
2. Ignore it
3. Sell the car
I’m option #2.
Your forgot the main one

USE THE F%^$ING SEARCH BAR😂

·
Registered
77 Posts
View attachment 348100 View attachment 348101 View attachment 348102 View attachment 348103 Hey guys, yesterday i was inspecting my car from under for the first time (now around 38k miles) and i notice this oil leak... i don't know where the leak is but it looks like its from under not from the head, so i took some multiple photo to you guys maybe you know better than me where this oil leak at.... and should i be worried or not? Because i check my oil level every week and no oil level drop !
Yup, just turned 34k on my RS and I originally purchased it with 7k and the head gasket was replaced at about 3500 miles. I noticed the leak at my first oil change and it has not changed. I would estimate about 10 - 20 drops over the course of 4-5k miles which is how often I change it. I just clean it off, tie wrap a blue towel somewhere below it to help catch it before it spreads around and be done with it. The trauma of taking it to the dealer for repair is beyond what I will do. It is still under warranty but I'm more likely to trade it in rather than go through having some monkey wrenching on it. As of this week the leak has not diminished or increased. I still sleep well at night knowing this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok guys thanks all for help appreciate it

I will check deep on the head gasket leaks and i will take my rs to one of the famous mechanics here in my country...

The good thing is the oil level is in the same spot for now and yea i just have a mountune filter so its similar to stock.. no mods yet has been planned since i discovered the leak :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
2021 update....

i inspected the leak where it came from, for that time it was the banjo bolt that made in 2016, so i ordered the latest version built in 2018 and the leak gone, after a couple of mile leak returns and and as my friend says maybe it is leaking from timing cover. In the mean while, i want to know if mustang ecoboost have the same issue or not and if the engine parts are the same. because this will make it easier for me to get the parts from local stores than order it from the net.

·
Registered
766 Posts
2021 update....

i inspected the leak where it came from, for that time it was the banjo bolt that made in 2016, so i ordered the latest version built in 2018 and the leak gone, after a couple of mile leak returns and and as my friend says maybe it is leaking from timing cover. In the mean while, i want to know if mustang ecoboost have the same issue or not and if the engine parts are the same. because this will make it easier for me to get the parts from local stores than order it from the net.
99% of these leaks are from the head gasket repair. It leaks oil at the joint between the HG, front cover (timing cover), head, and block. Ford issued a HG repair supplement requiring the application of sealant at two spots on the HG to seal the joint and prevent this leak. The RS is known for the issue because of how many had the HG repaired. Also, Ford didn’t issue the supplement until the HG repairs were well underway and not all techs bother reading the supplements. Mustangs don’t have the issue because they didn’t require a HG repair. However, a Mustang ecoboost motor would be susceptible to the same leak if the HG was replaced.

I’ve never seen this leak on an RS that didn’t have the HG repaired.

Most 2.0/2.3 ecoboosts use the same front cover. The revision C gasket is used on the Mustang and RS according to the parts we sites.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts