Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks all. So I hit up Brad Garlick in Ryde this morning. The head mechanic said to replace the feeder line even though I told him the root cause is the HG sealant or timing cover. Issue is I don't have much ground to stand on. Out of warranty and I haven't serviced the car at Ford. Powertrain warranty doens't apply for Oz. Service dude told me they will do a courtesy fix for me seeing it is low kms, and just charge me an hour of labour. So the game begins. At least doing this, I can go back to them if (hopefully not!) it starts leaking again and then take it from there. Nice enough to give me courtesy car for 2 days.
Hi Mate,
Ford Australia guarantees the work performed by its dealerships. If the recall they performed has led to this leak they are still obligated to fix it, even though you are out of warranty. It doesn’t matter whether you service the car with Ford or not as long as the car is serviced by a registered mechanic as per the service book.

Who found the leak? The normal mechanic you go to or the Ford Dealership?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
It hasn't had a recall performed as this problem is not, and never was a recall.
Its only an update to the procedure in the service manual.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Thanks all. So I hit up Brad Garlick in Ryde this morning. The head mechanic said to replace the feeder line even though I told him the root cause is the HG sealant or timing cover. Issue is I don't have much ground to stand on. Out of warranty and I haven't serviced the car at Ford. Powertrain warranty doens't apply for Oz. Service dude told me they will do a courtesy fix for me seeing it is low kms, and just charge me an hour of labour. So the game begins. At least doing this, I can go back to them if (hopefully not!) it starts leaking again and then take it from there. Nice enough to give me courtesy car for 2 days.
What you need to understand with our consumer laws here is there is an overriding principle beyond the "warranty" which in a lot of cases is useless. That principle is "fit for purpose". Whether the car is out or warranty means nothing if the product doesn't meet the fit for purpose criteria. So for arguments sake your competently maintained to the manufacturers requirements engine blows up at 50,000 klm 6 months out of warranty. That clearly falls into the "fit for purpose" category, which means that any reasonable person can expect their engine to give a service life well in excess of 50,000 klm.
Will you need to fight for your rights? absolutely. Will the manufacturer try and bluff you out of honouring their lawful obligations? almost certainly. You need to ask yourself how much fight and get ****ed you have in you. BTW it's not generally an expensive process here in Aus.

Ciao

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks guys. Normal mechanic found the leak. Hmm food for thought @lucky phil !! I'm going along with the game to start off. Crossing fingers.. maybe maybe it might just fix the leak.. (i know i know but don't hurt to think that way!) .. if not, go back to Ford and say, the work you did don't fix the leak! Will be a few back and forth but I think I might get this addressed. I have to make the time for this sh!t ! But I ask myself since I found the leak and even when looking for a car to buy, what alternatives are there even if I want to offload it. None

·
Registered
877 Posts
Thanks guys. Normal mechanic found the leak. Hmm food for thought @lucky phil !! I'm going along with the game to start off. Crossing fingers.. maybe maybe it might just fix the leak.. (i know i know but don't hurt to think that way!) .. if not, go back to Ford and say, the work you did don't fix the leak! Will be a few back and forth but I think I might get this addressed. I have to make the time for this sh!t ! But I ask myself since I found the leak and even when looking for a car to buy, what alternatives are there even if I want to offload it. None

If I were you, I would schedule oil leak checks twice a week once they try to fix it :).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks! Good suggestion. I’ll schedule mayhaps a weekly drop in. What’s the best way to check for this oil leak without removing undertray yourself? Someone mentioned turning front passenger wheel into the center and look underneath?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
The best way is to get under it and take off the tray, you can't see much from the wheel well, you can sometimes see it when looking from above on the drivers side down between the engine and the brake fluid resi.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
What's the best way to clean off all of the oil residue so I can check for leaks later? My car is in for the leak and I have a feeling they aren't going to clean anything up, or do it thoroughly.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts