Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, apparently discovered an oil leak from the turbo oil feeder lines during service today.

Does anyone know if this is a common issue? Not knowing much about these days, how worried should I be?

The service guy told me just need couple of washers and a gasket for turbo to rear engine block lines

Since I'm replacing these.. any stronger aftermarket stuff to replace them?

Appreciate the response! Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
568 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Hey all, apparently discovered an oil leak from the turbo oil feeder lines during service today.

Does anyone know if this is a common issue? Not knowing much about these days, how worried should I be?

The service guy told me just need couple of washers and a gasket for turbo to rear engine block lines

Since I'm replacing these.. any stronger aftermarket stuff to replace them?

Appreciate the response! Thanks
Well the second image is the turbo drain line and they can get damaged during the HG recall. Has your car had the recall done or did it need it?There's a gazillion posts on here with oil drops off the pressure line banjo and its almost never the banjo. The banjo is just a point where the oil leaking from above or the front cover gathers but the stumbo dealer techs just go for the banjo. Some have had the banjo crush washers changed multiple times just so the dealer mechanics can prove how dumb they are.
Do a search and sit down for a few hours reading on the infamous supposed Banjo Leak.

Ciao

Reactions: Raphs

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Agreed, ^
This is something most of us have dealt with and the general consensus has come back that its not the turbo oil line, that's complete rubbish and Fords easy solution to a problem that has fuk all to do with it.
As suggested use the search and you will see mine and many others examples, that have basically beat their head against a wall to get it fixed properly, which generally involves having the head taken off as that is where the majority of peoples leaks stem from. There are pictures and actual Ford service diagrams showing the proper fix.
Good luck and buckle up for a big fuk around from Ford until they finally fix it properly, as they have to do all the small things first "to eliminate those "
Its a huge headfuk and very frustrating ordeal.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[email protected] thanks guys. My bloody warranty just ran out 3 months ago! I got an appt with Ford dealer to have a look at it firstly. Will read thru the posts. Thanks so much! Apologies I didn't search, no idea what words to use to search on.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Oil leak
Banjo bolt
Head gasket
TSB
FSA 17B32
Kinghorn
They should keep you entertained for the long weekend.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Thats fuked that you found this after your warranty has finished.
It will be an expensive fix for you if Ford do it, there are quite a few parts involved and a fair bit of labour to fix it properly!

·
Registered
874 Posts
OP,

Reported for taking photos of my RS without my knowledge!

tee hee hee

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Hopefully it's covered under the powertrain warranty.

Reactions: Raphs

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its quite disheartening reading up all the issues on the banjo leak. I'm taking the car to be assessed Wed at Ford at Melrose Park. Hopefully I can get the timing cover resealed or replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
What about the additional sealant needed on the head gasket?
Thats where the leak stems from mate.

·
Registered
2017 Shadow Black RS
29 Posts
@Raphs it should be covered under the powertrain warranty, which you probably still are covered by. When I got my RS a few months ago, it was leaking a lot from the banjo bolt (or so I thought). The undertray was soaked. I took it to the dealer and they put dye in the oil, and did find that it was leaking from the timing cover (+1 for this forum!). A couple weeks ago I noticed a small amount of oil (undertray has no oil on it) accumilating on that banjo bolt again.... so I'll probably be bringing it back in :(

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@Raphs it should be covered under the powertrain warranty, which you probably still are covered by. When I got my RS a few months ago, it was leaking a lot from the banjo bolt (or so I thought). The undertray was soaked. I took it to the dealer and they put dye in the oil, and did find that it was leaking from the timing cover (+1 for this forum!). A couple weeks ago I noticed a small amount of oil (undertray has no oil on it) accumilating on that banjo bolt again.... so I'll probably be bringing it back in :(
Thanks @morbid ! Yeah, its a sad saga. I will mentioned to them. Cheers! Love this forum, so many supportive members!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Its quite disheartening reading up all the issues on the banjo leak. I'm taking the car to be assessed Wed at Ford at Melrose Park. Hopefully I can get the timing cover resealed or replaced under warranty.
If its worth anything I am on my third Ford dealer after owning 3 x LW/LZ Focus. Brad Garlick did well on the head gasket on my first RS, just some complementary swirl marks in the bonnet which I can handle. It came back fine with no leaks but granted did only have it for another twelve months. I wish you all the best

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks all. So I hit up Brad Garlick in Ryde this morning. The head mechanic said to replace the feeder line even though I told him the root cause is the HG sealant or timing cover. Issue is I don't have much ground to stand on. Out of warranty and I haven't serviced the car at Ford. Powertrain warranty doens't apply for Oz. Service dude told me they will do a courtesy fix for me seeing it is low kms, and just charge me an hour of labour. So the game begins. At least doing this, I can go back to them if (hopefully not!) it starts leaking again and then take it from there. Nice enough to give me courtesy car for 2 days.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts