Ford Focus RS Forum banner
321 - 336 of 336 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Hi. I have a leaking timing cover seal and Ford told
me that the alloy timing cover does not have a gasket, but is sealed with a sealant. The only gasket replacement is the rocker cover gasket which has to come off to remove the timing cover. Is that what you mean? Thanks
Yes you are correct, no such thing as a timing cover gasket. It's sealant.

·
Registered
35 Posts
So I finally took my car into dealer to check the oil leak. Its been weeping for a couple years now after the HG change. They say they found one leak at the timing cover and thats covered under warranty, I told them to fix it. They also found another leak on the turbo supply/return lines and want $1230 to fix that. Not sure why that's not covered under warranty. Told them not to touch it. How hard is it to access and change or repair those turbo lines?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
The turbo lines are easily accessible from under the car at the back of the motor. It is hardly ever those that are the source of the leak but, that's just a poor excuse from another shi7 dealer.
Most of the time those are assumed to be leaking as they are in the direct path of the leak coming from incorrect sealing of where the head and timing cover intersect.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
So I finally took my car into dealer to check the oil leak. Its been weeping for a couple years now after the HG change. They say they found one leak at the timing cover and thats covered under warranty, I told them to fix it. They also found another leak on the turbo supply/return lines and want $1230 to fix that. Not sure why that's not covered under warranty. Told them not to touch it. How hard is it to access and change or repair those turbo lines?
Not that hard on a hoist. He's having a lend. On top of that as pointed out it's almost never those lines or the banjo but when it is the turbo drain line that's leaking its usually because it's been damaged as a result of sloppy work during the HG replacement. The turbo drain line is easily damaged during the process and the main reason you remove the 2 upper turbo retaining studs from the head before removing the head. I think the Ford process even highlights the need to not manipulate the turbo too much to protect the drain line.

Ciao

·
Registered
943 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Just discovered that I'm dealing with this issue too. My question for those with modded cars who have resolved this- was there any pushback from the dealer covering under warranty? I'm out of the 3 year period, but should still be covered in the 5 year powertrain warranty.

Also, how urgently should I address this? I only noticed now because I was replacing my battery, but the last time I looked under the airbox was a year ago so it could presumably have been happening since then. I really want to postpone a trip to the dealer during this current situation (parts and labor shortages) until things calm down. They are understaffed and overworked (even moreso than usual) and I'd rather not leave it in their hands right now.

·
Registered
275 Posts
This is a discouraging and unfortunately lengthy discussion. Thought I'd take my car in for service to get the small (post-HG) oil leak fixed while drivetrain is still under warranty. Of course the service manager will not reveal that he has any knowledge of RS oil leaks following HG replacement. And soonest appointment I could get was in January, which I reserved. But the leak is small as it's footprint has been confined to a spot on the lower cover (never has made it's way to the garage floor). And has never effected the level on the dipstick. After reading here of the results you guys have had, maybe I'll just NOT take the car to them. Definitely don't want the leak to be worsened by their incompetence.

Seems that everywhere you look more-and-more people just don't take pride in doing good work anymore. Sux.

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
971 Posts
@RS_User , it's a tough decision for sure! They could properly fix it or they could make it worse. If they seem competent, and will keep at it until it's fixed, then I'd give them a shot. I didn't get that vibe when they "fixed" mine, so I decided to just live with it and not have them try again, and I doubt they would even pull the head to properly fix it.

·
Premium Member
2,924 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Aside from airing tires, an oil change is pretty basic, how do you screw that up?
I've found that even most tire shops don't (or can't because of circumstances) set the tire pressure properly - tire pressures have to be set on cold tires and by the time anyone drives to a dealer/shop they've already warmed up either because of friction or because of the sun. So any pressures set at that point will need to be adjusted but nobody tells people that - I have a gauge which while I can't imagine is accurate to the 0.1PSI at least measures it so I readjust them the next morning and most of the time the pressure is off by more than 1PSI between the lowest and highest reading on the same car.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've a 2018 RS, no mods at all, and just did the 30k regular maintenance and the tech said it has an oil leak but couldn't tell from where so put dye in the oil and I'm bringing it back today (after several days) for re-check.

My question is: There's so many posts in this thread but I can't tell which years for a lot of the posts.
Mine being an 18, the head gasket issue was allegedly corrected in the 18s(?) and mine never had any HG work so, I wonder if there's any specific other patterns of oil leak sources more particular with the 18s?
I'm glad I got the fully-extended Ford warrantee at least.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I've a 2018 RS, no mods at all, and just did the 30k regular maintenance and the tech said it has an oil leak but couldn't tell from where so put dye in the oil and I'm bringing it back today (after several days) for re-check.

My question is: There's so many posts in this thread but I can't tell which years for a lot of the posts.
Mine being an 18, the head gasket issue was allegedly corrected in the 18s(?) and mine never had any HG work so, I wonder if there's any specific other patterns of oil leak sources more particular with the 18s?
I'm glad I got the fully-extended Ford warrantee at least.
The factory fitted updated head gasket. The shop manual update for sealant wasn't just for car that had had the HG replaced it was for all cars made.

SSM47443
Some 2016-2018 Focus RS vehicles equipped with 2.3L EcoBoost engine may exhibit oil seepage at the block to head surface. The Workshop Manual (WSM) has been updated. Refer to Section 303- 01D. Revised procedure provides (2) additional 8 mm (0.31 in) drops of silicone sealant using Motorcraftù Silicone Gasket and Sealant / TA-30 (WSE-M4G323-A4) on the gasket surface

Ciao

Reactions: noreaster

·
Registered
320 Posts
Update on my 2018 with small oil leak: The tech, who seems quite competent and talented and is like the top tech and I always schedule specifically with him, said he fixed I think the valve cover gasket? and the timing chain cover. I brought it back like 4 weeks later so he could look at it and make sure there were no more leaks. He said it looked perfect and "bone dry" and said it should be all set. I respectfully had asked him if he was aware of the WSM update and he gave a confident yes. As a side note, I give him a holiday season tip every year so he knows I super appreciate his work and he doesn't get offended by my asking questions like that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Long thread, but still relevant... just had my annual service and they found a very minor leak, looks like it's coming from high-up "possibly from the head gasket".

I queried it as being a common find following the HG recall (mine is a 2016) but they still want to charge me almost £1,000 to investigate it. I don't suppose anyone has had any luck getting this covered under warranty even though the recall was 3.5 years ago?

For the record, the car was fine last year and has only done 1,500 miles since. No trace of any oil on garage floor.

The car has only done 7,000 miles since the replacement, in 3.5 years... what are the chances the sealant has corroded again.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm dealing with this leak now as well. My head gasket was replaced at 17,500 miles, and I'm now over 60k. Has anyone out of warranty had success in getting this fixed as a warranty since it is the result of the recall work, or are people just living with the leak?

321 - 336 of 336 Posts