Ford Focus RS Forum banner

281 - 300 of 313 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm pretty sure I'm still leaking after the dealerships 2nd attempt at fixing it.

So what do you think a proper engine "rebuild" would cost?
With proper decking, new head gasket (Maybe a performance HG), ARP Studs?

Trying to make an appointment at Mountune but Covid19 has slowed things up significantly.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I dont agree with the "design flaw" theory your engineer has. I've been working on many different designs of engines for the around the last 30 years when sealing began to replace gaskets and the RS engine doesn't exhibit any issues with regards to sealing faces or design. The only exception is the head gasket which uses bonded sealing strips around the area that require sealing which I'm not totally happy about. Performance aftermarket and all the factory MLS gaskets I've used cover the whole gasket surface with pressure sensitive sealant not just sealing strips around the openings and bore. I suspect this is done for either cost reasons or in search of better heat transfer from the head to the block and coolant gallery, maybe both. I've seen the old style B gaskets weep oil as well so it's not the new gasket compared to the original.
Apart from that it's down to quality of machining ( MLS gaskets require a much higher degree of surface finish than old composite gaskets) and the competence of mechanics that do the work.I can see that in many many cases the deck and head machining isn't up to scratch just from images it's that bad.
There's also a reason hand built race and blue printed engines are assembled in a Clean Room,because that's the level of professionalism care and cleanliness it takes to put an engine together and bee 100% sure it's going to be right. Add to that low skilled unpractised mechanics at a dealership under the time clock and just wanting to get it done working in a very confined space under the hood with crap everywhere in a cold draughty workshop and you end up with a leaker. No great theory's are required to figure this out it's all about just basic good engineering and engineering practices.

Ciao
What is a permanent fix on this car ? I thought I had mine sorted but it gave up and I am dancing in the rain again. It’s always the same areas this engine is leaking. These forums and other forums have thousands of posts on the matter. We drive from oil leak to oil leak.

I completely understand that the majority of users keep it at low revs within a certain temperature envelope. I do the same but every once in a while I have the chance to use it as an RS. Instead of giving me what I paid for it breaks down and spends time at the dealership.

I have made so many compromises as an owner. I think it is time I got rid of this vehicle and it pains me to even consider it. I can’t even use this as a Sunday driver because it will break down. I don’t know about some of you but I got this vehicle so I can enjoy it a few times a year. I shall have it fixed and then look for a trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
What is a permanent fix on this car ? I thought I had mine sorted but it gave up and I am dancing in the rain again. It’s always the same areas this engine is leaking. These forums and other forums have thousands of posts on the matter. We drive from oil leak to oil leak.

I completely understand that the majority of users keep it at low revs within a certain temperature envelope. I do the same but every once in a while I have the chance to use it as an RS. Instead of giving me what I paid for it breaks down and spends time at the dealership.

I have made so many compromises as an owner. I think it is time I got rid of this vehicle and it pains me to even consider it. I can’t even use this as a Sunday driver because it will break down. I don’t know about some of you but I got this vehicle so I can enjoy it a few times a year. I shall have it fixed and then look for a trade.

Remove the engine and have it re machined, forged pistons, better rods,balanced, clean up the ports and if your really keen close the deck or go to Darton sleeves. Then get someone competent to put it together.
Leave the cams and valves standard.
You'll have a nice oil tight bullet proof engine for a sensible owner.
Ciao

·
Registered
770 Posts
Remove the engine and have it re machined, forged pistons, better rods,balanced, clean up the ports and if your really keen close the deck or go to Darton sleeves. Then get someone competent to put it together.
Leave the cams and valves standard.
You'll have a nice oil tight bullet proof engine for a sensible owner.
Ciao
Thanks for the suggestion.
Who will pay for all this ? I doubt my warranty covers this extensive surgery.

I did now expect such a solution to be attached to this vehicle. I don’t think any of the RS owners expected to purchase this vehicle and resort to such drastic measures to have a working car.

Anyways , I shall stop here as I am far too annoyed with this situation. Waste of money, time and effort to have a working vehicle and I still don’t have one .

Reactions: Dank RS

·
Registered
107 Posts
@bad|teddy Just got caught up on your situation. Sucks to hear my friend. You mentioned that your RS was opened twice. What was the date of the second attempt? Just wondering if it was before or after the Oct 18 revision.

·
Registered
770 Posts
@bad|teddy Just got caught up on your situation. Sucks to hear my friend. You mentioned that your RS was opened twice. What was the date of the second attempt? Just wondering if it was before or after the Oct 18 revision.
Hi there . The RS was opened last in October 18 and fixed until June 2020. The mechanic confirmed updated materials received from Ford when he compared with the previous deliveries.

@all

I am thinking of buying a set of ARP bolts this time. Anything I should couple them with ? Is there anything aftermarket that had been proven in terms of seals and bolts ?

Also, is the Athena Gasket better than the oem one ?

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Hi there . The RS was opened last in October 18 and fixed until June 2020. The mechanic confirmed updated materials received from Ford when he compared with the previous deliveries.

@all

I am thinking of buying a set of ARP bolts this time. Anything I should couple them with ? Is there anything aftermarket that had been proven in terms of seals and bolts ?

Also, is the Athena Gasket better than the oem one ?

The only aftermarket gaskets I have seen still use the old style cooling holes so they are based on the "B" gasket. In addition to this none of the RS engines I've seen would meet those manufacturers surface finish requirements for their MLS gaskets. If you're going to go through this again at the very least get the head sent away and have it machined for a better surface finish only. I could refinish the block surface insitu but your average mechanic wouldn't be able to do so.

Ciao

·
Registered
770 Posts
The only aftermarket gaskets I have seen still use the old style cooling holes so they are based on the "B" gasket. In addition to this none of the RS engines I've seen would meet those manufacturers surface finish requirements for their MLS gaskets. If you're going to go through this again at the very least get the head sent away and have it machined for a better surface finish only. I could refinish the block surface insitu but your average mechanic wouldn't be able to do so.

Ciao
Thanks for the feedback.
I am investigating potential shops that can help me with this process.
So far, nobody in my area does such things.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wow, just got back from the ford shop for an oil leak. HG was replaced over 7k miles ago with the original owner. They had the car all day and when I went to pick it up they said they had 4 mechanics look at it and they determined it was the oil return line from the turbo (sure). An extended warranty was included with the car, but they say the return line is not covered and they wanted $300 to replace it, and if it turns out that was not the issue, no money back. I have asked them to clean it up and add dye to the oil, let me drive it for a bit and see where the leak is coming from for sure. This was the original plan, but the service people "knew" it's coming from the oil return line.
Thoughts?
How hard should I push on this?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Wow, just got back from the ford shop for an oil leak. HG was replaced over 7k miles ago with the original owner. They had the car all day and when I went to pick it up they said they had 4 mechanics look at it and they determined it was the oil return line from the turbo (sure). An extended warranty was included with the car, but they say the return line is not covered and they wanted $300 to replace it, and if it turns out that was not the issue, no money back. I have asked them to clean it up and add dye to the oil, let me drive it for a bit and see where the leak is coming from for sure. This was the original plan, but the service people "knew" it's coming from the oil return line.
Thoughts?
How hard should I push on this?
Very. What extended warranty did you get, the Ford one? I'm surprised it's not covered under the powertrain warranty either.

BL: Find a new dealer

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Very. What extended warranty did you get, the Ford one? I'm surprised it's not covered under the powertrain warranty either.

Yep. The return line is easily damaged during the recall. Thats why Ford procedure was to remove the 2 top turbo mount studs from the head to minimise the manipulation of the turbo and therefore reduce the risk to the turbo drain line. It's a different thing to the turbo pressure line banjo.
Having said that you need to establish whether it's been damaged or not. Either way it's a warrant-able item. How spinless and useless are these mechanics at diagnosis.You take your car to professionals supposedly because they have the knowledge and experience to back their judgement. If the non tech owner or neighbour troubleshoots a defect and gets it wrong you obviously eat the costs but thats why pro's exist. Seek help elsewhere.

Ciao

·
Registered
595 Posts
I had mine fixed TWICE under warranty, and it was not that all along. Which I told them constantly.
I would push as hard as possible till you get what you want, I had to, only took 12 months......

·
Registered
32 Posts

The car has the Ford 96/75,000 PremiumCare w/roadside assistance. It got transferred to my name when I bought the car.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
The car has the Ford 96/75,000 PremiumCare w/roadside assistance. It got transferred to my name when I bought the car.
Find a new dealer. The place you're at likely doesn't want to do the major surgery so they're trying to make you move along. If you want to pursue this further do call Ford Service Canada and open a claim, but I would ask them if there is another dealer near you with more RS experience than your current one.

·
Registered
121 Posts
So finally visited Mountune in California today, just to find out that they dont work on used engines.
So if I want a properly decked engine built by them, I would need a completely new engine.

Time to make decisions...
I love this platform and I dont want to get rid of it.
maybe i can find a shop around SoCal that can deck an engine...

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus RS
18 Posts
Ok, I need an advice!
I took my car to a dealership for a small oil leak, and after I collected the car, I have way more severe oil leaks now.
They have "resealed" the timing cover, and the valve cover (even though it was not leaking) and now it's leaking.
Should I take the car back to the same dealership? Or take it to another one?
Knowing that I contacted Ford and I talked to the regional manager who will call the dealer to make sure they fix it right. (Does that sound like BS to you?)
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
770 Posts
What a familiar sight, exceed the goo spilling over everywhere. I am at a loss of words how these cars are given back to clients everywhere in the world.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
What a familiar sight, exceed the goo spilling over everywhere. I am at a loss of words how these cars are given back to clients everywhere in the world.

Sigh, with an effort like that pictured you should take it elsewhere.

Ciao

·
5,625 Posts
Ok, I need an advice!
I took my car to a dealership for a small oil leak, and after I collected the car, I have way more severe oil leaks now.
They have "resealed" the timing cover, and the valve cover (even though it was not leaking) and now it's leaking.
Should I take the car back to the same dealership? Or take it to another one?
Knowing that I contacted Ford and I talked to the regional manager who will call the dealer to make sure they fix it right. (Does that sound like BS to you?)
What do you guys think? View attachment 342333
Wow, just wow.

281 - 300 of 313 Posts