Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did my first oil change today since having the HG recall work done, popped the under-tray off and found oil everywhere. Leak was coming from somewhere up high, didn't have the access to get closer but could zoom and snap a few photos. Can anybody identify where the source of it might be coming from, or have gone through something similar?

I'm confident this is a result of some shoddy work from the HG replacement, as I've never had a leak until now. I'm hoping the dealership will admit as much when I take it in this week.

IMG_7737.JPG

IMG_7743.JPG

IMG_7757.JPG

·
Registered
525 Posts
You certainly aren't alone. There have been two common causes, either the turbo oil drain is leaking or part of the head gasket wasn't installed correctly and is leaking. Mine was the latter, although I had to go to a different dealer to get the work done as the original one claimed "they all did that" and wouldn't investigate further.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I had the same issue, but not as severe. There are several possible sources including timing chain seal/timing chain cover, valve cover, and as mentioned possibly head gasket or turbo oil line. Based on the amount of oil you're leaking I'd suspect gaskets...timing chain cover/gasket and or possibly head gasket.

My saga was a minor leak with drips gathering on the turbo oil line banjo bolt. Initial attempt was replacing washers on banjo bolt...still leaked, second time it was turbo oil line replacement.....still leaked, they are now replacing timing chain cover/seal and valve cover seal. Picking up tomorrow....fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
After watching that time lasted video dissembling to get the head off, makes me want to cry. My car has been laid up since Sept 19, one for parts and two shop is busy. I am worried as there is no way they can assemble this without screwing up. There is way too many steps and parts to remove. This is one of my concerns the after. Hope for the best and wait. I will up date once i get my RS back.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had the same issue, but not as severe. There are several possible sources including timing chain seal/timing chain cover, valve cover, and as mentioned possibly head gasket or turbo oil line. Based on the amount of oil you're leaking I'd suspect gaskets...timing chain cover/gasket and or possibly head gasket.

My soga was a minor leak with drips gathering on the turbo oil line banjo bolt. Initial attempt was replacing washers on banjo bolt...still leaked, second time it was turbo oil line replacement.....still leaked, they are now replacing timing chain cover/seal and valve cover seal. Picking up tomorrow....fingers crossed.
I went through the same exact scenario about a month ago. The replacement of the timing cover gasket did the trick. No leaks since then.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the replies, I'll be taking her in this week and will update here on the diagnosis. It really stinks that Ford tries to be proactive on an issue and the fix only causes more problems. Fingers crossed it can be taken care of quick!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Hard to tell without cleaning everything off and running it, but would bet money on the front cover needing to be resealed.

·
Registered
105 Posts
All -- I had an oil leak too and after some battling with Ford Corporate and a 2 month wait time on parts, my dealership was able to do a complete HG recall procedure on my car.
Not sure how true it is but I'll just repeat what I was told: the standard job instructions for the procedure were revised sometime in May to account for a change in sealant application. Early recall work omitted the application of sealant on a specific area of the head and gasket, which was later traced to the cause of my particular oil leak. (At first, they thought it was the turbo feed line but after tests, determined it was the HG.)
I hope that helps you guys. Point is, the dealer should escalate the issue to Ford corp. and get your cars fixed again.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
All -- I had an oil leak too and after some battling with Ford Corporate and a 2 month wait time on parts, my dealership was able to do a complete HG recall procedure on my car.
Not sure how true it is but I'll just repeat what I was told: the standard job instructions for the procedure were revised sometime in May to account for a change in sealant application. Early recall work omitted the application of sealant on a specific area of the head and gasket, which was later traced to the cause of my particular oil leak. (At first, they thought it was the turbo feed line but after tests, determined it was the HG.)
I hope that helps you guys. Point is, the dealer should escalate the issue to Ford corp. and get your cars fixed again.
told by the service provider or tech? really wish there was a paper trail for what you were told...

·
Registered
575 Posts
Yep, drips from turbo oil feed line banjo fitting. 5 or 6 failed repairs. 2 Ford workshops. Ford Australia are supporting. I don't think they are looking hard enough to find the cause/source.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Picked up car yesterday after dealer replaced timing chain cover and resealed it. So far so good after a 100 mile drive....hope it is the fix!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are the dealerships covering the cost of fixing all these issues, since they're related to the HG replacement? I'm out of warranty now and don't want to be paying for it regardless

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Are the dealerships covering the cost of fixing all these issues, since they're related to the HG replacement? I'm out of warranty now and don't want to be paying for it
regardless
Usually if you return to the dealer that did the work, and it is a part that was installed under recall, related installation issues are covered. I'd call and confirm with dealer/Ford.

In my case, I was still in warranty so never inquired about post warranty fix/re-repair.

It is a known problem so if they push back I'd reference the ongoing post HG for oil leaks.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Yep, drips from turbo oil feed line banjo fitting. 5 or 6 failed repairs. 2 Ford workshops. Ford Australia are supporting. I don't think they are looking hard enough to find the cause/source.
Why aren't they using dye to figure it out?

·
Registered
105 Posts
told by the service provider or tech? really wish there was a paper trail for what you were told...
Told to me by the shop foreman, who is a 20+ year ASE certified tech and personal friend of mine. I'm one of the few people on here who can actually go to the dealership and believe what I'm told. They also performed a dye test to confirm that the leak was coming from the head and not any other hardware.
I'm sure I can get the correspondence between Ford Corp and them.

·
Registered
575 Posts
1 - 20 of 188 Posts