Ford Focus RS Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Correct.
Just changed my oil and filter with the manual spec volume of oil and my COLD level is at the top of the cross hatch. My HOT level, after shutting off the car and letting sit for 10 or so minutes, is at the dot. Maybe that's what it's for? To show max hot level? Kinda like an auto trans?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
It's the top of the knurled area. Little tidbit of info that I've found, 4.7qts and a filter change is barely on the stick, so if you find that you are using oil it's probably a lot less than you think. Using a qt in 5000 miles is nothing to be worried about but it may not show up at all on the stick

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes, very confusing, but. I heard from the tech that checked my car out when picking it up (new for me) with 4800 mi on it. I thought it was low (below the top hole) and he insisted that it was correct at the top of the cross hatch area. After reading all of this, yes it would make sense that cold, it should be up to the cross hatch. And as Ayers said, the top hole is the hot limit. I will also check when I do my first oil change. The problem with oil change level is that you never start with a completely empty engine, so 5.7qts with filling the filter too, may be too much for an oil change.....It should be damn close.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts