Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The regular Focus manual shows two different oil level marks on the dipstick...either with dimples on the side of the stick, or holes thru the stick. The supplemental manual of the RS, shows the cross hatched area for checking oil level.

My dipstick has both...so, do I go with the crosshatched section? Car has a little over 700 miles on it, and oil level is just slightly above the crosshatched mark on the stick....which is below the top hole.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
887 Posts
Confusing? Stop at your local Ford dealership and discuss with the SERVICE MANAGER. Let us know their response.
I suspect the dipstick is defective since the slash marks should be continuous between each of the two holes or dimples.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The line on crosshatch is maximum, not the dot. Read the manual for the RS not the one for a normal focus.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
There is certainly some confusion on this. The RS supplement (page 28) shows the "notched" version of the dip stick and the crosshatch goes all the way from bottom notch to top..so the cross-hatches designates the same area as the notches. On my RS the dip stick has 2 holes but the cross-hatched area only goes from the lowest hole to the mid-point btwn the holes. So top hole is full, top of crosshatch is - 1/2 qt, bottom hole and beginning of crosshatch is - 1qt.

My dip stick DOES NOT LOOK LIKE THE ONE SHOWN.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
next oil change you do, add the specified amount and centerpunch the dipstick at the oil level. you wont ever forget it then

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
The line on crosshatch is maximum, not the dot. Read the manual for the RS not the one for a normal focus.
Can you indicate where and what page that shows that the dot is not the full measure (just like the upper notch shown in the supplement)?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Can you indicate where and what page that shows that the dot is not the full measure (just like the upper notch shown in the supplement)?
Frozen Mike just posted a picture of it. My dipstick doesn't look anything like the one in the manual either, but does look like the one in the OP. I've already done an oil change in my RS and after putting the required amount of oil and a bit more (using a Motocraft FL400S oil filter) my dipstick is showing that my oil level is at the top of the line on the crosshatch which is what the maximum is.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Frozen Mike just posted a picture of it. My dipstick doesn't look anything like the one in the manual either, but does look like the one in the OP. I've already done an oil change in my RS and after putting the required amount of oil and a bit more (using a Motocraft FL400S oil filter) my dipstick is showing that my oil level is at the top of the line on the crosshatch which is what the maximum is.
The 400s has a larger oil capacity than the stock filter,,,so I still believe the factory "full level" is at the upper hole when using the correct 900 filter.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lots of comments yes...any consensus, no. As I understand, the FL400S has slightly larger capacity, than the FL910S...5.7vs 6 qts. The fill level on whatever dipstick you have, will not change with either filter. I'm just a few hundred miles away from my first change at 1000miles, so I'll do the change, add my 5.7 qts...do the turnover without starting deal, start and run momentarily...then shut down and wait.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I guess I disagree with comment that oil filter capacity has no affect. If adding more volume to the total sump = sump + filter capacity, then once the engine is started the sump total oil level would show lower on dip stick than using 910 filter and the std 5.7 qts were added. The good news is that .3 qt difference btwn 400 and 910 is not meaningful..but it might explain why a 400 filter would show approx 1/2 qt lower (top of hatch area in OP photo). The fact is the engine has enough oil but the level would be a minute amount lower with the larger capacity filter using 5.7 qts. Obviously adding 6 qts with 400 filter addresses this.

Would really like to get a definitive answer as to where the oil level is on the 2 hole dipstick when using 910 filter and 5.7 qts.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Would really like to get a definitive answer as to where the oil level is on the 2 hole dipstick when using 910 filter and 5.7 qts.

The line on the crosshatch ;)

·
Registered
887 Posts
I say again:
Confusing? Stop at your local Ford dealership and discuss with the SERVICE MANAGER.
And then get it in writing. Let us know their response.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Follow the instructions - it states to the top of the crosshatch

When I was taught about this stuff I was always told that the indicators on the dipstick represent 1qt of oil from top to bottom...so I am going to venture to say that the holes follow that thought process but the crosshatch is where you should fill to, meaning that the holes are likely there to provide you with a visual indication of how much oil you are missing or have overfilled

think of it like a scale that shows 'heres 1qt of measurement on this stick'...from there you can guess how much oil to add or remove by comparing the oil level with the crosshatch that is your target

still - I wouldn't read into it, just follow the instructions that state to go to the top of the crosshatch...if you want a for certain answer I'd ask a service tech at a Ford dealership

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm leaning toward those who have made oil changes already...and assume their dipstick looks identical to mine. My problem is...as weak as the manual is in some areas...how frickin hard is it to get an accurate representation of the actual dipstick in the supplemental manual?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts