Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All

I purchased my Nov 17 FoRS from Coffey Ford in Melbourne as a pre-owned vehicle with +-2600km on the odometer. I was given every reassurance that this vehicle was not effected by the widely known head-gasket issues that plagued these vehicles in the early manufacturing runs and after this reassurance and a clear recall report, I agreed to purchase the vehicle. Before purchasing the vehicle I requested a copy of the rear page of the service book showing the delivery details and previous owner details. The salesperson informed me that this was missing from the book. Upon receiving the vehicle I also confirmed that the sticker had been "picked/ torn" out. I find this very strange and the first time I have come across this phenomenon in my history of purchasing approximately 30 vehicles over my life. I have to say it raises a red flag in my mind. Why would anyone be that concerned about being contacted about a vehicle unless they have something to hide.

After I had driven the vehicle for a few days I checked the fluids all round and discovered that the oil was at half on the dipstick. I purchased a 1 litre of Castrol Edge 0W40 and topped the vehicle oil up with 1/2 litre and recorded the mileage at 3119km.

Today I checked the oil again (4131km) and noted that the oil has roughly dropped 1/4 of the dipstick level which would represent 1/4 litre (250ml) used in 1000km. This would convert to approx 3 3/4 litre (3750ml) over a 15000km service interval. As a consumer this is completely out of normal accepted standards and expectations, and unacceptable. Photos attached, follow number sequencing.

I am not sure if this vehicle is impacted by the head-gasket problem as it is not showing any of the symptoms i.e. no smoke on cold start up etc. I did however notice that the vehicle has had the coolant topped up when I checked the fluids, as the topped up coolant was green while the existing coolant was orange and they had separated in the coolant expansion tank.

I am very hesitant to bring this to your attention as I know I am going to get told to take it to my local Ford dealer which terrifies me due to past experiences.

Does anyone have an experience of similar oil usage? Is this just normal and I have to accept it or is this unusual? Any feed back would be great.

Thanks guys.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,791 Posts
Does it ever go below that?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Apparently Ford used at least 2 different dip stick designs. One had a cross-hatched zone that went from the bottom hole and stopped approx half between the 2 holes (that's what I have and I think almost all US versions came that way). In the states, you are supposed to fill it only up to the cross-hatch area. The owner 's manual did not clearly indicated how high the oil should go, so there was a lot of confusion at first.

If you are using the upper hole as the "full mark" you are over filling and likely blowing out the excess oil. You probably wouldnt detect the oil being consummed bc the PCV system would reintroduce the excess oil into the intake and gradually burn it. Try filling to a point half way between the holes and see how that works.

As far an ananimity goes, I personally extract all contact info....just like social media, I don't want any unnecessary info floating around.....I guess it maybe my paranoia. Most cars I've owned here never have had that page completed, FYI.

If I recall correctly, the HG recall covered cars produced beforeally approx June of 2017....which included most of the 2017 MY. You should be able to easily check your build date. Additionally, when they do the recall service they use a black sealant (looks like black RTV) on the timing chain cover. If you inspect the lower passenger side of the engine from below, where the pan and timing chain cover meet, you should see where it was resealed...or check the head gasket flange as shown in the HG thread. I'd be skeptical as to where it was part of the recall or not....so check out the build date and then you'll know whether or not it should have been serviced.

Enjoy the RS.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Apparently Ford used at least 2 different dip stick designs. One had a cross-hatched zone that went from the bottom hole and stopped approx half between the 2 holes (that's what I have and I think almost all US versions came that way. In the states, you are supposed to fill it only up to the cross-hatch area. The owner 's manual did not clearly indicated how high the oil should go, so there was a lot of confusion at first.

If you are using the uper hole as the "full mark" you are over filling and likely blowing out the excess oil. You probably wouldnt detect the oil being consummed bc the PCV system would reintroduce the excess oil into the intake and gra c u all burn it. Try filling to a point half way between the holes and see how that works.

As far an ananimity goes, I personally extract all contact info....just like social media, I don't want any unnecessary info floating around.....I guess it maybe my paranoia. Most cars I've owned here never have had that page completed, FYI.

If I recall correctly, the HG recall covered cars produced beforeally approx June of 2017....which included probably 95% of 2017 MY. You should be able to easily check your build date. Additionally, when they do the recall service they use a black sealant (looks like black RTV) on the timing chain cover. If you inspect the lower passenger side of the engine from below, where the pan and timing chain cover meet, you should see where it was resealed...or check the head gasket flange as shown in the HG thread. I'd be skeptical as to where it was part of the recall or not....so check out the build date and then you'll know whether or not it should have been serviced.

Enjoy the RS.

Really !?!?.... full for us is up to the cross hatch..... I've been overfilling my oil then !!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not sure about how dealers in Tasmania are required to operate but, in Victoria there is a Licenced Motor Car Traders Committee. They oversee and if required , enforce used and new car licenced traders. I would imagine that Tasmania would be similar, therefore there should be at the dealers a book with the previous owners details and signature against it, called the Purchase Book. They are also required to list at point of display on a prescribed form all details of the previous owner. Ask to see this info if you want to follow up with previous owner.

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts
when I checked the fluids, as the topped up coolant was green while the existing coolant was orange and they had separated in the coolant expansion tank.

Thanks guys.
That's a 'No No! Green and Orange are not to be mixed. You would be advised to flush the cooling system. 'If mixed together, these two types of antifreeze form a cloudy substance and precipitation that can decrease the coolant's useful life properties. The interaction of these different antifreeze types causes the formation of silicate precipitation, which has an impact on corrosion protection. Another difference between these two antifreeze types is that orange antifreeze has a longer useful life that the green type. Orange antifreeze has a useful life of 5 years, whereas green antifreeze is good for up to 3 years. Orange antifreeze is referred to as an extended-life antifreeze.' from: reference.com

Reactions: lflouie

·
Registered
264 Posts
Today I checked the oil again (4131km) and noted that the oil has roughly dropped 1/4 of the dipstick level which would represent 1/4 litre (250ml) used in 1000km. This would convert to approx 3 3/4 litre (3750ml) over a 15000km service interval. As a consumer this is completely out of normal accepted standards and expectations, and unacceptable. Photos attached, follow number sequencing.

I am not sure if this vehicle is impacted by the head-gasket problem as it is not showing any of the symptoms i.e. no smoke on cold start up etc. I did however notice that the vehicle has had the coolant topped up when I checked the fluids, as the topped up coolant was green while the existing coolant was orange and they had separated in the coolant expansion tank.

Does anyone have an experience of similar oil usage? Is this just normal and I have to accept it or is this unusual? Any feed back would be great.
Thanks guys.
My car uses no oil, but I mistakenly thought that it was for a week or so.
I don't know about you but my engine holds heat for many hours. Make sure the car is completely cool before checking the oil, the second dipstick pic looks like it may have been a less than cool engine. Get under the car and look for any wetness.

For the coolant, go back to the dealer and have them drain the entire system and refill with the proper (orange) coolant.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Hey All

I purchased my Nov 17 FoRS from Coffey Ford in Melbourne as a pre-owned vehicle with +-2600km on the odometer. I was given every reassurance that this vehicle was not effected by the widely known head-gasket issues that plagued these vehicles in the early manufacturing runs and after this reassurance and a clear recall report, I agreed to purchase the vehicle. Before purchasing the vehicle I requested a copy of the rear page of the service book showing the delivery details and previous owner details. The salesperson informed me that this was missing from the book. Upon receiving the vehicle I also confirmed that the sticker had been "picked/ torn" out. I find this very strange and the first time I have come across this phenomenon in my history of purchasing approximately 30 vehicles over my life. I have to say it raises a red flag in my mind. Why would anyone be that concerned about being contacted about a vehicle unless they have something to hide.

After I had driven the vehicle for a few days I checked the fluids all round and discovered that the oil was at half on the dipstick. I purchased a 1 litre of Castrol Edge 0W40 and topped the vehicle oil up with 1/2 litre and recorded the mileage at 3119km.

I am very hesitant to bring this to your attention as I know I am going to get told to take it to my local Ford dealer which terrifies me due to past experiences.

Thanks guys.
The full mark is the top of the cross hatch. The level will also differ depending on when you check it. For some odd reason it will show a few mm higher when the engine has been left overnight compared to if its checked 30min or so after shutdown. Kind of opposite to what is usual and expected.
Your Nov 17 car wasnt affected by the HG issue.

Ciao

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
At the risk of sounding dumb, the manual says to get the car up to operating temp, shut it off, and wait 15 minutes to check the oil level. Is there a reason to be checking it cold?

I don't know about you but my engine holds heat for many hours. Make sure the car is completely cool before checking the oil,

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
At the risk of sounding dumb, the manual says to get the car up to operating temp, shut it off, and wait 15 minutes to check the oil level. Is there a reason to be checking it cold?
A lot of cars want you to check cold, just like tire pressure. Many dip sticks will have two markings, one for hot and one for cold. The owners manual of the vehicle should say which the manufacturer wants

·
Premium Member
4,791 Posts
So, from the picture you posted and the manual, your oil level is good. You might have been over filling.

You should be good!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Yours looks fine. Typically you want to use the lowest solid line on the dipstick as the true oil level. If you look at the pics, if you use that rule then the oil level is about the same. This is particularly necessary with this car, perhaps a fair amount of oil gets splashed onto the oil dipstick guide during normal operation.

Did you or the stealership do the oil change, or is that the original oil fill?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
No not really. The 15min wait is to allow a realistic amount of time for oil to drain back into the sump where the dipstick takes it measurement from. With this minimum time in mind you can check it any time you like after shut down as long as it is the same time every time. I usually check a road engine when cold as the oil will should never be any higher than this ever. Even after waiting 15min you often find the oil level will rise a fraction more as the process of drain back hasnt totally finished. All this is a little moot unless you are looking at small level changes over a relatively short period of time. Much easier and more accurate to check it over a 5000klm period.

Ciao

·
Registered
264 Posts
A lot of cars want you to check cold, just like tire pressure. Many dip sticks will have two markings, one for hot and one for cold. The owners manual of the vehicle should say which the manufacturer wants
Exactly, just like tires. The cold base measurement / number is the most accurate by far.
If the engine is warm or hot and you measure, more oil will still be in the engine / turbo and lines etc. How much oil will depend on how hot the engine is. Another factor is the expansion of the oil depending on temp. If tires are hot and you measure, it will depend on how hot the tires are. (And if you changed elevation)

With the oil you're talking a small amount of difference between checking hot and cold. Maybe an 1/8 of a quart.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yours looks fine. Typically you want to use the lowest solid line on the dipstick as the true oil level. If you look at the pics, if you use that rule then the oil level is about the same. This is particularly necessary with this car, perhaps a fair amount of oil gets splashed onto the oil dipstick guide during normal operation.

Did you or the stealership do the oil change, or is that the original oil fill?
No, No oil change yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts