Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the Columbus area and was wondering what dealerships you trusted. I was thinking about Germain because that's where my family and I have always taken our 5 Fords. They usually do pretty well. However, when I asked the service representative there, he said they "rarely" see any Ford Performance vehicles. Kinda makes me nervous. He did say however that the tech that would be doing the replacement had done one already on the RS they had in stock. So thats encouraging I guess. I was just wondering if any if you Ohio guys had any standout recommendations.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wondering this as well. I bought my RS from **** Masheter Ford(on Hamilton) and I’ve only been in there for one oil change so I don’t really have much experience with there service or techs. I bought my ST from Krieger on Morse in 2015 and the oil changes I received there were always done correctly but I never had any major work done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wondering this as well. I bought my RS from **** Masheter Ford(on Hamilton) and I’ve only been in there for one oil change so I don’t really have much experience with there service or techs. I bought my ST from Krieger on Morse in 2015 and the oil changes I received there were always done correctly but I never had any major work done.

I also bought mine from ****Masheter. I don't think I will take it there because it's a decent ways from the Northwest side where I live and it's an older dealership. The $5 oil change is pretty great for a car like this however so that might be the only maintenance opportunity they see from me. I might stick with Germain. The service rep read me the FSA in its entirety while I was on the phone and told me the guy that would be doing the work on my RS had done the replacement on the model they had in stock. At least he has experience. Additionally he empathized with me and my concerns and said if it were his, he'd trust the tech with it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I also bought mine from ****Masheter. I don't think I will take it there because it's a decent ways from the Northwest side where I live and it's an older dealership. The $5 oil change is pretty great for a car like this however so that might be the only maintenance opportunity they see from me. I might stick with Germain. The service rep read me the FSA in its entirety while I was on the phone and told me the guy that would be doing the work on my RS had done the replacement on the model they had in stock. At least he has experience. Additionally he empathized with me and my concerns and said if it were his, he'd trust the tech with it.

Right on. I live in Chillicothe and I don’t trust the dealership here so I’m pretty much guaranteed an hour drive to get this taken care of. Figured I’d wait to see what people on here or fb go to

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right on. I live in Chillicothe and I don’t trust the dealership here so I’m pretty much guaranteed an hour drive to get this taken care of. Figured I’d wait to see what people on here or fb go to

I'll report back here. Made my appointment with Germain for Monday the 29th at 8:15am. He said if I got in it by then he could guarantee a pressure test being done that day. They have a loaner and everything ready for me straight away.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'll report back here. Made my appointment with Germain for Monday the 29th at 8:15am. He said if I got in it by then he could guarantee a pressure test being done that day. They have a loaner and everything ready for me straight away.

Awesome, I’ll keep checking back.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I took my RS into Germain yesterday, they said they were going to give me a call today. Haven't yet received one. They dont anticipate having to do anymore than replace the head gasket because it only has 300 total miles on it. However, they did not have a loaner ready. Didn't seem like they had one for anybody. He did tell me if it took more than the head gasket they would contact me for additional arrangements. Perhaps I'll get a call tomorrow. Here's hoping this doesnt become a dragged out process.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just want to clarify, this is the germain in cbus correct?? Bought mine from a germain in dayton and thought i remember that there was also one in cbus.

Im in dayton and plan on possibly getting mine done by lebanon ford. We'll see though, id rath not have to drive too far. i want drop by and snap some progress pics and get frequent updates if possible. May be harder to do that if the dealer is 45-hour away.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just want to clarify, this is the germain in cbus correct?? Bought mine from a germain in dayton and thought i remember that there was also one in cbus.

Im in dayton and plan on possibly getting mine done by lebanon ford. We'll see though, id rath not have to drive too far. i want drop by and snap some progress pics and get frequent updates if possible. May be harder to do that if the dealer is 45-hour away.
Yes this is Germain in Columbus. Called last night to see if I could get any info. The gentleman was unable to do much for me except advise that I call back today if I don't hear anything again. As always, I'll keep you all in the loop.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Good deal! I appreciate it. Im not in a rush, my car is running fine and i dont want to take it anywherwe that i feel wont do a proper job. Ill make a drive if i have to, to find the right dealer. I know quite a few localish rs guys whom ill be getting feedback from on their experieces.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I’ve considered making the drive over to Lebanon ford as well. I’ll already be driving an hour if i take it to Columbus and I think Lebanon is about the same if I remember. I figure since they seem to deal with a lot of performance vehicles that they may somehow do a good job. That’s my little mechanic abilities logic anyways.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also live in Dublin and was trying to figure out who to take mine to. I purchased mine at Don Tester Ford in Norwalk, OH because we have ties to the owner of the dealership, but it's a bit of a haul to take the car up there for a repair. I am interested in Germain since I live close so keep us posted. Also curious how long it will take to replace.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I’ve considered making the drive over to Lebanon ford as well. I’ll already be driving an hour if i take it to Columbus and I think Lebanon is about the same if I remember. I figure since they seem to deal with a lot of performance vehicles that they may somehow do a good job. That’s my little mechanic abilities logic anyways.

This was my logic aswell. I also know one of the maketing/sales managers there so that helps a little. I also know a local owner who had lebanon install a fmic and some other aftermarket pieces on his rs, and he had a good experience with them. The drive is my only real concern, id like to be able to stop in on lunch or whenever and see the hg repair progress in person. 45-hour each way would make that a bit tough, but if i hear of good first hand feedback on this particular repair(hg fsa) then id feel much better.

My moms coworker is bringing his rs to germain in dayton this week, so hopefully that goes well, and i can gain a bit more trust in them, as they are right down the street from my house. My buying experience was good with them, but have never dealt with their service dept.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This was my logic aswell. I also know one of the maketing/sales managers there so that helps a little. I also know a local owner who had lebanon install a fmic and some other aftermarket pieces on his rs, and he had a good experience with them. The drive is my only real concern, id like to be able to stop in on lunch or whenever and see the hg repair progress in person. 45-hour each way would make that a bit tough, but if i hear of good first hand feedback on this particular repair(hg fsa) then id feel much better.

My moms coworker is bringing his rs to germain in dayton this week, so hopefully that goes well, and i can gain a bit more trust in them, as they are right down the street from my house. My buying experience was good with them, but have never dealt with their service dept.
Keep us updated if you hear anything about Lebanon. I’ll probably look into getting work done this month or at least getting an appointment scheduled. Being in Chillicothe has me centrally located to a few bigger cities/towns and I don’t trust the ford dealership in this town. So I’ll def be making a trip somewhere

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So today was the first day since Monday that I was able to get any information. Germain ran the pressure test on my car and they told me that ny RS performed "just fine". So I will only be getting a new head gasket. I asked for the old part number of the gasket they pulled out and I was supplied with the number, G1FZ-6079-D. This matches what others on this forum have found out. I was unable to get the new part number for the new head gasket.

I asked if I could perhaps keep the old head gasket as a kind of souvenir. That request was quickly denied. They say Ford has asked for all of these back because of the recall. I have no personal connection to Germain so I am unable to pull any strings here. It turns out that Germain did not have any of these parts readily available. Rather, they order them as needed. So here I am waiting for my RS to get out of the shop. The timetable for the delivery of this part was either later in the day today, or early next week.

So because this might still take a while, I asked again about a loaner. I'm beginning to think Germain never has them. They haven't had one open up since Monday. Now this isn't a big deal as my household has another 5 cars I can use, but I just wanted the opportunity to drive something new. They offered to try and get a rental but I just said not to worry about it. More work than I really want at this point.

Those are all the developments I have thus far. I will call on Monday for an update. I honestly figured this wouldn't take this long but perhaps I was naive. Hopefully it'll be out soon!

·
Registered
54 Posts
So today was the first day since Monday that I was able to get any information. Germain ran the pressure test on my car and they told me that ny RS performed "just fine". So I will only be getting a new head gasket. I asked for the old part number of the gasket they pulled out and I was supplied with the number, G1FZ-6079-D. This matches what others on this forum have found out. I was unable to get the new part number for the new head gasket.

I asked if I could perhaps keep the old head gasket as a kind of souvenir. That request was quickly denied. They say Ford has asked for all of these back because of the recall. I have no personal connection to Germain so I am unable to pull any strings here. It turns out that Germain did not have any of these parts readily available. Rather, they order them as needed. So here I am waiting for my RS to get out of the shop. The timetable for the delivery of this part was either later in the day today, or early next week.

So because this might still take a while, I asked again about a loaner. I'm beginning to think Germain never has them. They haven't had one open up since Monday. Now this isn't a big deal as my household has another 5 cars I can use, but I just wanted the opportunity to drive something new. They offered to try and get a rental but I just said not to worry about it. More work than I really want at this point.

Those are all the developments I have thus far. I will call on Monday for an update. I honestly figured this wouldn't take this long but perhaps I was naive. Hopefully it'll be out soon!

Please keep on updating us on your experience. I plan on taking it to Germain on sawmill in the spring when the Rs is out of storage. Thats pretty wack they don't have a rental car for you. From the recall memo they made it sound like everything was planned out including having a rental but that's obv not the case. Your experience matches much of the other experiences I've read about from people all over the country.

·
Registered
63 Posts
any Cincinnati area RS's here? i had an appointment scheduled for 2/6 at Cronin Ford (appointment scheduled 2 weeks in advance). i dropped the car off yesterday, my car was the first RS they had seen for the FSA. i called them at the end of the day yesterday to get an update, and they wouldn't even run the pressure test because of the part availability. i picked the car back up last night. i also asked them to update the PCM because i keep getting the "drive mode not available" error when very cold. i even gave them the TSB number. they didn't fix this for me because "they couldn't replicate the issue". very frustrating. i didn't get a good feeling from this dealership and will probably try to go somewhere else once the parts are available.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sooooo... Since I had last updated you all, a lot has changed.

Monday I had called to see if they had received all of the parts yet. I was informed that they had received the new head gasket. Time to rejoice right? sadly, no. The dealer was missing a few specific bolts needed to complete the installation. An estimated time for delivery was in the next two days. I was a little bummed as they told me to not expect the RS to be finished before Friday at the very earliest. No fun.

Tuesday. I'm at work and I get this call pretty early, about 9AM. I am told that the bolts had come in the mail that morning and mine was second RS in line to be worked on. Good to know I am not the only RS in to be serviced. Pretty much guaranteed to have my car finished by Thursday. This is all very good news and I am feeling quite optimistic and happy with Germain's services as a whole.

Now that brings us to today, Wednesday. My mother calls me at work to tell me Germain called the house(?) to tell me the car was finished. Up until now they had been calling my cell for updates, I never even gave them my home number. They must have searched by address or something cause our other three Fords get serviced there but are all under my fathers name. Anyway, I decided to call and double check. They confirmed it was finished and I told them I would be in after work to get it.

So it's about 7pm by the time I pull up to pick her up. The nice lady pulls it into their laneway and I am beyond excited. It has a measly 305 miles on it, still a new car to me so I'm pumped. First disappointment is that it is so dirty. Filthy quite frankly. I even called to make sure it was kept inside. They assured me it was cause it was a 'special car'. Well duh, I know that but it's good to know they recognize that. Obviously a lie cause the thing is so fogged up the dials inside are even cloudy. Whatever, you've had my car for over a week, I'm taking it home. I get on the main road and the thing is lurching and knocking like CRAZY. I'm just thinking, okay it needs some time to warm up. Nope. Got to a stop light and the thing dies on me. I'm sitting still and the thing wont start. I'm stuck in a five lane road and miss an entire light cycle trying to get the thing started. Finally got it back up and running and get through the light. Subsequently turn into a parking lot to asses the situation. It seems fine, idles alright. So I take it around the parking lot a few times. Still lurching and grinding like its about to stall, except I'm at 2000rpms. I decide I'm taking it back. It's just not right. On the way back to the dealer I stall at another light but get it started a lot sooner. I cannot get it passed 15mph and my foot is on the floor. Pull in to the dealer and let them know whats up. They take it back and tell me that this is uncharted territory. Rare car, huge recall. This is all fine, I just hope they didn't break my car. They assure me it will be fixed and they will look at it first thing tomorrow.

Overall, I am not too pleased with what has gone down. The thing is heckin' filthy and it doesn't even run right. Hopefully it is a small issue but I will be in every night to personally check up on it. Will keep you updated, going in on lunch break tomorrow.

·
Registered
46 Posts
For anyone in the Cleveland area, Classic Ford in Mentor seems to be a good dealer to go to. They have done at least two RS's already and they were both head replacements. They replaced the head on the '16 that I traded in and when I picked up my '18, there was another '16 in the bay next to my car with the head off.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts