Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been wanting to update my NA 1.15 maps for many months, and finally found this. Rather than bury it in the lengthy Sync 3 3.0 update thread, I thought it merited it's own.

This site enables official maps update:
https://syncnavigation.com/ford/home

I was directed to it from this site, which I had been regularly checking for months. Before today, when selecting the Focus, it returned a message that no map update would be available until September 2019.
https://ford.navigation.com/home/en_US/FordNA/USD

After entering the VIN and ESN (which apparently generates a vehicle-specific license file), I was given a choice of a free download or purchasing a USB for $40 (Note, I have a pre-paid maintenance contract on the car - your pricing may vary from this). After selecting the download option, here is the download screen:

The update took about an hour. It updated maps to NA.1.18 (14.09.2018) and also Nav Voice and Gracenote. The SyncMyRide folder contains these files:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Your signature under your post says 2018. I wonder if that free digital or $40 physical usb is only for 2018s. I have a 2017. I just checked this site and entered my vin and esn and it says $109 for digital or $149 for physical. Kind of sucks that they're making those of us with 2017's pay a hundred dollars for a map update when 2018's get them for free. I might call and ask why that is. I can see them saying something along the lines of if the car is within 1 model year it is free, but considering this just became available now, it should apply to 2017's as well since we didn't have the chance to get this within our first year.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your signature under your post says 2018. I wonder if that free digital or $40 physical usb is only for 2018s. I have a 2017. I just checked this site and entered my vin and esn and it says $109 for digital or $149 for physical. Kind of sucks that they're making those of us with 2017's pay a hundred dollars for a map update when 2018's get them for free. I might call and ask why that is. I can see them saying something along the lines of if the car is within 1 model year it is free, but considering this just became available now, it should apply to 2017's as well since we didn't have the chance to get this within our first year.

I picked up my car in November 2017, so it's just shy of 2 years old. An alternative explanation is that the free download is included in the prepaid maintenance contract that I purchased when I bought the car (along with oil changes, wipers, tire rotation, etc.) and that without that I would face the same pricing you see.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Willing to share the file somewhere to the group? When I put my info in, it says no update available, but I'm still on the NA 15 version of maps. I also have a NB '18.

·
Registered
151 Posts
When I enter my info the site also shows an update for $109 or $149 (USB).

2017 RS2 that I bought new in July of 2017.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Willing to share the file somewhere to the group? When I put my info in, it says no update available, but I'm still on the NA 15 version of maps. I also have a NB '18.
That's not going to work, as the license security certificate is tied to the VIN/ESN. I've previously tried to upgrade with all of these files, obtaining them from the site below but always got LIC_ERR01 when trying to install with another license (MAP_LICENSE_MISMATCH_ERROR).

Use Google translate to convert from Russian to English:

https://ffclub.ru/post/18683966/

·
Registered
518 Posts
Does the update worth the money? Normally Android Auto with Waze and G-Maps is my thing when trying to navigate... Only when driving through new roads and not having my phone connected would be my only 'pain'...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Does the update worth the money? Normally Android Auto with Waze and G-Maps is my thing when trying to navigate... Only when driving through new roads and not having my phone connected would be my only 'pain'...
Like you, I normally use Waze and Android Auto. Given that, if the download was not already included in my maintenance contract, I would likely not pay $100 for the upgrade.

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
All the more reason I didn't get the RS2 trim (I know there was no option in 2018) when I ordered my car since I knew it would have Android Auto support and that maps updates via Google Maps and Waze are free and normally way faster to update (especially Waze in areas with active volunteer editors).

·
Registered
197 Posts
Nope, I have a 2018, and I still get update not available.

I've been updating through the Sync updates on here, so I'm at v19205, but still have maps NA 1 15. Maybe that screwed it up.... who knows.

I know the Ford Pass app stopped working a year ago, so it no longer updates with mileage and oil life either or sends me emails about health of the car. I guess I'll just be happy android auto works and call it a day then.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been updating through the Sync updates on here, so I'm at v19205, but still have maps NA 1 15. Maybe that screwed it up.... who knows.
I've also been updating the core Sync App and was on v3.0.19205 when updating the maps from 1.15 to 1.18.

I don't know if this will make a difference, but have you reported any update to Ford on the Owner's site by uploading the log file after installation? I've tried to do this, but it does not seem to register all the time. The last time I got a positive response on uploading the log file was with v3.0.18093. Since there is likely a minimum Sync level requirement, it's possible Ford's records have your car at a Sync version below the minimum.

https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/keep-your-sync-up-to-date/pc/SyncDownloads_Step4.html

Instructions on creating an update log file.

https://s550.guru/how-to-create-a-sync-3-update-log-file/

·
Registered
955 Posts
You have to do the first link to get the updates.

MY17 here as well. I'm not paying $109 for one map update on a 2 year old car.

I'd rather wait until Sygic discounts their car navigation app (usually around the holidays), and run that on the Sync3 screen from a phone with a broken touchscreen hiding in my center console. That and further map updates are free, and come out quarterly.

·
Registered
242 Posts
That's not going to work, as the license security certificate is tied to the VIN/ESN. I've previously tried to upgrade with all of these files, obtaining them from the site below but always got LIC_ERR01 when trying to install with another license (MAP_LICENSE_MISMATCH_ERROR).

Use Google translate to convert from Russian to English:

https://ffclub.ru/post/18683966/
It is now possible to unofficially upgrade from v3.0 to v3.2/3.3/3.4 (and without needing to update the APIM firmware) ...... and also to get the NA 1.18 maps on it. I just did it last week.
No going back to v3.0 though and the process wipes your sync system.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've also been updating the core Sync App and was on v3.0.19205 when updating the maps from 1.15 to 1.18.

I don't know if this will make a difference, but have you reported any update to Ford on the Owner's site by uploading the log file after installation? I've tried to do this, but it does not seem to register all the time. The last time I got a positive response on uploading the log file was with v3.0.18093. Since there is likely a minimum Sync level requirement, it's possible Ford's records have your car at a Sync version below the minimum.

https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/keep-your-sync-up-to-date/pc/SyncDownloads_Step4.html

Instructions on creating an update log file.

https://s550.guru/how-to-create-a-sync-3-update-log-file/
Have not gone through a report upload before. Just tried and completed successfully, still no map update available. Weird.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is now possible to unofficially upgrade from v3.0 to v3.2/3.3/3.4 (and without needing to update the APIM firmware) ...... and also to get the NA 1.18 maps on it. I just did it last week.
No going back to v3.0 though and the process wipes your sync system.
I saw references to that on the ffclub.ru site. Do you have a link to the procedure?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I saw references to that on the ffclub.ru site. Do you have a link to the procedure?
I used what was posted on that forum and pieced it together from there. There is a procedure written on one of the pages.
Create the first USB drive with the autoinstall that wipes the sync system. Then no turning back!!

[SYNCGen3.0_ALL]
Item1 = 1U5T-14G386-CB - SyncMyRide \ 1U5T-14G386-CB.tar.gz
Open1 = SyncMyRide \ 1U5T-14G386-CB.tar.gz
Options = AutoInstall
And then a second USB to load up the new files via a reformat.lst file.
Then just need to download files to the SyncMyRide folder for the reformat.lst file. (delete the text I added in brackets which is just descriptions - don't need all languages or Canada or Mexico if not applicable)

APPS = 5U5T-14G381-CD.tar.gz
VOICE = 5U5T-14G391-CB.tar.gz
VOICE_NAV = 4U5T-14G422-CAB.tar.gz [US English]
VOICE_NAV = 4U5T-14G422-CBB.tar.gz [Spanish]
VOICE_NAV = 4U4T-14G CCB.tar.gz [French]
GRACENOTES =
MAP = 4U5T-14G421-CAB.tar.gz
MAP = 4U5T-14G421-CBB.tar.gz
MAP = 4U5T-14G421-CCB.tar.gz
MAP = 4U5T-14G421-CDB.tar. gz
MAP = 4U5T-14G421-CEB.tar.gz
MAP = 4U5T-14G421-CFB.tar.gz
MAP = 4U5T-14G421-CGB.tar.gz
MAP = 4U5T-14G421-CHB.tar.gz [Canada]
MAP = 4U5T-14G421 -CJB.tar.gz [Mexico]
ENH_DAB = 1U5T-14G658-AD.tar.gz
Reformat.lst file is case sensitive and must be written exactly as the file names.
Also do not download the files directly to a USB drive. It will create an extraction error. Download to your PC first and then copy to the USB drive.

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
I used what was posted on that forum and pieced it together from there. There is a procedure written on one of the pages.
Create the first USB drive with the autoinstall that wipes the sync system. Then no turning back!!

And then a second USB to load up the new files via a reformat.lst file.
Then just need to download files to the SyncMyRide folder for the reformat.lst file. (delete the text I added in brackets which is just descriptions - don't need all languages or Canada or Mexico if not applicable)

Reformat.lst file is case sensitive and must be written exactly as the file names.
Also do not download the files directly to a USB drive. It will create an extraction error. Download to your PC first and then copy to the USB drive.
How does your unit respond now after you "upgrade"?

·
Registered
242 Posts
How does your unit respond now after you "upgrade"?
Fine. A bit faster.
Not sure I like the look of 3.4 interface over 3.0. Nothing too interesting to report on the upgrade. Could install 3.2 or 3.3 version instead if preferred for the older interface.
The reformat.lst method does not need the license for the maps so the maps can be updated to NA 1.18 on all units. But Waze and Gmaps etc are just much better to use.
I'm not getting TTS nav instructions though. Not sure if it had that before. I need to investigate it further.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
12 Participants
xd-data-ii
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing