Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone compared the OEM pads to aftermarket offerings?

Like on a scale of Hawk HPS to DTCs where would they fall?

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'm using Yellowstuff from EBC now (there's a love/hate relationship between EBC and the internet, mind you!). I found the stock to be PRETTY DARN GOOD for stock pads, but excessive heat get them pretty quick.

The only advantage that I see/feel with the EBCs is on heavy track braking on semi-slicks tires, other than that, for the street, I would keep using the stock ones.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I've had the OEM, EBC Yellow, Carbotech 1521 and currently running GLoc GS-1's.

The OEMs are actually pretty decent pads fort he price, they are just horrible with the brake dust.

The yellows are decent as well, generates slightly less brake dust than the OEM, but I would disagree with @Azampatti that they are good for track. I was able to do 3 trackdays with the OEM pads but the Yellows were barely able to make it thru 1. I had them on for ~3k mi street and one track day, and they were pretty much gone. On the plus side, they were very affordable.

The Carbotechs and GLocs were both very similar (unsurprisingly). Both had good initial cold bite and do well for street/canyon driving. These seem to generate much less dust than the OEM and the yellows (I would know, I have white wheels lol).

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to pick up a set of Hawk HT-10s for track duty most likely so it doesn't matter. I just want something more aggressive than OEM for street.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had the OEM, EBC Yellow, Carbotech 1521 and currently running GLoc GS-1's.

The OEMs are actually pretty decent pads fort he price, they are just horrible with the brake dust.

The yellows are decent as well, generates slightly less brake dust than the OEM, but I would disagree with @Azampatti that they are good for track. I was able to do 3 trackdays with the OEM pads but the Yellows were barely able to make it thru 1. I had them on for ~3k mi street and one track day, and they were pretty much gone. On the plus side, they were very affordable.

The Carbotechs and GLocs were both very similar (unsurprisingly). Both had good initial cold bite and do well for street/canyon driving. These seem to generate much less dust than the OEM and the yellows (I would know, I have white wheels lol).
Which one gave you best initial bite and which one gave you best overall braking force?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I'm going to pick up a set of Hawk HT-10s for track duty most likely so it doesn't matter. I just want something more aggressive than OEM for street.
If you're getting the Hawks for track duty and do not plan on having dedicated rotors, I would suggest you get a Hawk street pad with compatible transfer layer. This was why I ended up switching to the current GLocs. I originally had the EBC yellows for the street and Carbotechs for the track. I would try to rebed-in the pads when I switch, but it was never perfect. I would always end up with deposits and get terrible juddering/pulsing. Now I have GLoc GS-1's for the street and R12/R10's for track. Just swap pads, no muss, no fuss!

Which one gave you best initial bite and which one gave you best overall braking force?
If we're talking street pad, the OEMs actually gave the best initial "cold" bite imho, with the carbotechs close 2nd. Not sure about over-all braking force (I never try to brake hard on the street, just bad practice, keep it at the track), but I very much like the modulation characteristics of the Glocs. Both the OEM and Carbotechs always felt like they would bite very well first, but then would "disappear" during trail braking (letting-off slightly around a turn to continue weighting the fronts for better turn-in). I was able to modulate weight transfer much better with the Glocs.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I always get dedicated track rotors on my cars.

Thanks for the insight! That bit about the OEMs losing their “force” over time is something I’ve definitely felt.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just curious if anyone here had tried the HP+ on the RS? I've had them on many other cars for the past 20 years and really liked them but haven't tried the yellow stuff, EDS or G Loc.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I’ve been pretty happy with the G-loc street/track swap also, but I will say that even the GS-1 street compound is very squeaky. I just did a brake rebuild and I put hi-temp grease on the piston contacts and sliding surfaces which helped for about a week. Now they are squeakier than ever with the cold temps :-/

I wish somebody would do a true street pad with low dust and no squeal that still shared a compatible compound with a good track pad.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I've been using EBC yellows and they squeal quite a bit more than I'd like. I'm looking to change up to carbotech 1521 and girodisc rotors come spring.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have mountune's street pads. They have no squeal or dust. They seem to bite better than the stock pads. These were when they were rebranded winmax w1's (yellow ones). It looks like they changed their pads so I am not sure how they run now. This is just a dd setup. I would probably go something much more aggressive for a dedicated track setup.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I am running Mountune UK's "fast road" pad, which I believe is EBC due to the proprietary "brake-in" red coating on the top of the friction surface when new. I don't know which compound. They're fairly recently bedded in, there is more initial bite than the stock pad but they are giving off a bit of a squeal in that last 10-0mph of a normal street stop. Hopefully that goes away as they wear in further. Haven't driven the car enough to comment on dust (also swapped to different-colored wheels at the same time I put the pads in, so it's harder to visually tell how much it has changed).

·
Registered
638 Posts
Ran the stock pads for a year and a half. They did well for what I needed. They were quiet and extremely clean when it came to dust.

I went after market and all hell broke lose. Teeth falling out from initial bite and dust like in interstellar on my rims.

Brake noise is associated with the pad design to attenuate the resonance resulting from the clamping force on a rotating object. The after market community will always favour performance and not discretion. The pad material area on aftermarket products is larger than on OEM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 13 of 13 Posts