Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thread is to help those of us that only have access to 91 octane or below at the pump. I am starting a FAQ related to how we can get the most performance.

1.) What is the BEST octane booster to lvl up from 91 to 93. Price does not matter for #1. If possible, post links to purchase the product

2.) What is the most affordable octane booster that will still be effective? Price matters here. If possible, post links to purchase the product

3.) Anything else to consider? example: don't use "XXXX" booster because it sucks and could void your warranty.

4.) What is the amount of booster that should be added? Is this different depending on the brand or product? Example: This booster should have 12 oz. added to your gas tank to raise a 10 gallon tank from 91 octane to 93.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would use Boostane https://www.boostane.com/ they send a mixing chart so it would tell you how much to add based on tank size and what octane rating you have available to start with. Plenty of guys in the GTR world using this to achieve 93 octane. Bill from SiR used this to increase octane rating from 93 to 105 on a FBO GTR and was able to add 4 degrees of timing, picking up an extra 50hp and 30tq. On a built motor with stock manifold upgrade increasing octane from 93 to 110 he was able to pick up 177hp and 143tq. It definitely works.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
MAKE YOUR OWN OCTANE BOOST

100 oz of toulene for octane boost
25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent)
3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Toluene has a (R+M)/2 rating of 114 octane
Xylene has a (R+M)/2 rating of 117
MTBE has a (R+M)/2 rating of 118
Methanol or Ethanol has a (R+M)/2 rating of 101
Isopropyl Alcohol and Tertiary Butyl Alcohol has a (R+M)/2 rating of 101

custom mixing fuels is fairly common

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
not sure if srs
Lol what?
srs = serious - Don't you love how millennials save letters for "clearer understanding" :stupid:

Did anyone go back and read the response Ford provided on this forum ? :lazy:
http://www.focusrs.org/forum/9-focu...al-focus-rs-question-thread-32.html#post25925
http://www.focusrs.org/forum/9-focu...al-focus-rs-question-thread-32.html#post25929

So in summary ,
(1) If you want to be a skinflint an save a couple of hundred dollars a year, put in 87 octane. How is Ford going to really know ??
(2) If you put in 91 octane, which is what the engine is tuned and designed for you will get factory performance.
(3) If you put in 93 octane you possibly will get higher performance, only because the ETC is pretty smart and automatically adjusts for higher and lower grades of octance.
(4) If you can't get 91 octane , use octane boost.
(5) If you tune your car or mod it you may get better performance with higher octane and you may impact long term reliability, especially if you may change the ECT's ability to handle lower grade fuel and you may encounter "Check Engine" lights.

LTP :smug:

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
329 Posts
(1) If you want to be a skinflint an save a couple of hundred dollars a year, put in 87 octane. How is Ford going to really know ??
They could easily look at your octane learn adjust values, and if they see negative numbers for a several tank period, they'll probably tell you to pack sand.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
the factory 350/350 was on 93 octane.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
@MidCow3
I don't know why I disagree with #1 so much, because I feel that for my needs 5w-30 will surely provide enough lurbication

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
srs = serious - Don't you love how millennials save letters for "clearer understanding" :stupid:

Did anyone go back and read the response Ford provided on this forum ? :lazy:
http://www.focusrs.org/forum/9-focu...al-focus-rs-question-thread-32.html#post25925
http://www.focusrs.org/forum/9-focu...al-focus-rs-question-thread-32.html#post25929

So in summary ,
(2) If you put in 91 octane, which is what the engine is tuned and designed for you will get factory performance.
(3) If you put in 93 octane you possibly will get higher performance, only because the ETC is pretty smart and automatically adjusts for higher and lower grades of octance.
(4) If you can't get 91 octane , use octane boost.
(5) If you tune your car or mod it you may get better performance with higher octane and you may impact long term reliability, especially if you may change the ECT's ability to handle lower grade fuel and you may encounter "Check Engine" lights.

LTP :smug:

YMMV,

MidCow3
If not use
Thanks for your reply!

I don't see Ford's response in the link you sent.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hmm this could be a bit of a concern for me as I'm moving to Colorado this summer and will only have access to 91 octane.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Don't you love how millennials save letters for "clearer understanding" :stupid:
And how do you know he's a millennial? The stereotype of our generation being lazy is a bit irritating to me. If working full time+ while going to school so I can pay for a $40K+ degree is what you call lazy or entitled, then... :stupid:

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Hmm this could be a bit of a concern for me as I'm moving to Colorado this summer and will only have access to 91 octane.
We don't have any air up here, even with the turbo the car will likely not benefit from 93 vs 91.

I'm considering making a few passes on 91, and then putting in 12-16 ounces of torco and making another 3 to see if my trap/ETs benefit from it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
We don't have any air up here, even with the turbo the car will likely not benefit from 93 vs 91.

I'm considering making a few passes on 91, and then putting in 12-16 ounces of torco and making another 3 to see if my trap/ETs benefit from it.
Hmm so it'll likely be down on power either way......I'm kind of a noob at this stuff so bear with me lol. Around how much % of a loss from 350 would occur from 93-91?

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
FUD

They could easily look at your octane learn adjust values, and if they see negative numbers for a several tank period, they'll probably tell you to pack sand.
Wanna bet ? You are just throwing around FUD :stupid:

We typically have 87,89, and 93 so not that it matters too you or anyone else I will use 93 mostly.

... And obviously even the most pedestrian driver knows they have too low of octane when the car knocks and even they will choose a higher octane grade. But we really don't know the full capabilities and the technical details of the 2016 Ford Focus RS ECT. Yes, Ford states a minimum of 91 octane but it is a pretty stupid design engineer to not build in fool-proof engine protection. So again I say you speak - FUD :stupid:

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
520 Posts
If the car can perform on 91 to its full potential...

Maybe 8%-10%?
I can live with that, though I thought full potential was achieved on 93 octane. If 91 octane ends up bringing down the power rating by 15% or more, the Subaru WRX starts to look more appealing considering it makes its full potential output out of only 91 octane.......we shall see.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts